Volkswagen Synchro Vanagon

HINO SG

Adventurer
syncro repower

asteffes said:
Let's not forget that one can drop a nice aircooled Porsche 911 engine into a Vanagon. :ar15:

Can and has been done, but the trend is mostly towards Subaru flat-4 and -6 power, along with 1.9 VW TDI power, TDI being still fairly expensive but a nice balance of power and economy. Subie 2.5's are tough, dependable, and cheap to buy.
Most people say that the stock transmission really shouldn't be feed more than around 150hp, either. Porsche transmission is an option for 2wd but I've never heard of it being adapted to a syncro (very unlikely).

Maybe you can find a Carrera 4 drivetrain laying around in someone's garage:ylsmoke:

CLynn85

Explorer
Life_in_4Lo said:
I always liked these since I was a kid! Westfalia edition right?
How are the new EuroVan Westfalia's? They look quite nice altho they are quite a bit larger I think.

The eurovan immediately came to mind but I haven't been able to find any awd conversions for it or anyone who has set one up for overland travel.

underdog

The Eurovans are nice and comfy and more modern than the Vanagons but they tend to fall much more in line with any of the other socker mom mini vans out there. Less ground clearance, etc.

Now that Carrera4 drivetrain Idea.....That'd haul ass but I don't know if it'd be torky enough for offroading. Be one he!! of an engineering project though.:)

The 1.9L Turbo Diesel is the torque monster for these things. Reasonable mileage and you can get fuel anywhere.

chet

island Explorer
we had an older vw van westy (bright orange I might add! ) I was always amazed at where it would go with only 2wd. All the motor weight is over the rear axle and they are fairly light on the front too. I camped for a week at this remote lake in the interior and we had guys coming in on quads loaded with tents etc and they were blown away that we were there! :camping:

A new synchro would be way cool. A couple my wife works with just sold a newer eurovan diesel westy and its sale price was 50 grand!!!!

Justin

Observer
Very interesting and unique vehicles. The Moab photo is insane! I have only seen a handfull of them in Southern California and I have always been very interested in them. They do seem like a good platform for expedition travel.

syncroand101

Some of you may have come across these pics of our Syncro Morocco / Sahara trip on other forums. But in case you haven't...

http://www.syncro-nutz.com/flashgallery/index.html

Was an awesome trip. All Vans powered by Modern TDi engines. Plenty of torque and power. Bigger tyres, handled the trip well.

They really are quite incredible in the ruff stuff with the right boots on. Highly recommended for a trip if you prep them properly!

ThorsenValhalla

Syncro is great expedition vehicle

I have had one for about a year and must say I like it a lot. There aren't many RVs that go off road. It is much more capable than it looks like it would be. The first expedition we took it on after we bought it in Denver was a gnarly forest road north out of Aspen, CO. I think it was Smuggler Mountain Rd. to Warren Lake. The granny gear and relatively short wheelbase really helped a lot. It has tiny little 14 inch highway tires but still did ok. It has a rear locking differential for the really tough areas. Turns out the AWD part of the van was farmed out to Puch who also make the AWD part of Pinzgauers. It uses a viscous coupling device to apply traction when there is slippage. Seems to work very smoothly in mine even though it is 20 years old. As noted before the main problem is lack of engine power and reliabiliy of the engine. You should be able to get 80K miles out of them before the silly o-ring head gaskets give way. The engine generates about 90 hp to push around a 5,000 pound bread box. Needless to say, you learn to drive slow up mountains. Just relax and enjoy the scenery. Everyone behind you knows why you are going so slow. The syncro model is lifted about an inch higher than the stock Vanagon model. It also has some stock skid plates that seem to do a pretty good job of protecting the driveshaft. Since it has no solid axles, there are no pumkins hanging down getting in the way. Pretty good clearance for a van but still no Jeep. I have not really tested it fully yet but have been pretty impressed with its capabilities so far. We took it through some pretty deep volcanic cinders here near Flagstaff and it had no problem. I though for sure those tiny tires would get bogged down really easily but it didn't. One of the really nice things about driving a Vanagon is the community of cool people out there who do the same. We always wave to each other. Its really cool to see another Syncro but that is really rare. I heard there were only 15,000 Vanagon Syncro Campervans imported to the USA. They were made from 1986 to 1991. The primo 91 models can go for $30K. They were overpriced and underpowered when they were new but now the price is down a little and the power issue can be fixed with a Suby engine. Good luck finding one.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Hey there, welcome to the forum! You've added some good comments to the Syncro discussion here. Do you have any photos of yours that you can post?

I came across another cool SyncroMog video the other day.

ThorsenValhalla

I will try to post some pix of my Syncro soon. Can I upload small pix to the site directly?

Mine will never be a SycroMog but I can always dream. I large sack of money would help.

I think I met you at post expedition party at Jeremy's house in Flagstaff last month. I was in the white Xterra. I don't live too far from Jeremy.

As far as I can tell, there are about 3 Syncros in Flagstaff and at least 1 in Sedona. Not sure about Prescott.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
ThorsenValhalla said:
I will try to post some pix of my Syncro soon. Can I upload small pix to the site directly?

Mine will never be a SycroMog but I can always dream. I large sack of money would help.

I think I met you at post expedition party at Jeremy's house in Flagstaff last month. I was in the white Xterra. I don't live too far from Jeremy.

As far as I can tell, there are about 3 Syncros in Flagstaff and at least 1 in Sedona. Not sure about Prescott.

Cool - yes, you can upload pics directly to the forum. Just click on the little paperclip button in the toolbar above the editing window. Hey, glad to hear we have met - too bad that little get together was so short. If you ever get to Prescott give me a shout. I have a buddy with a sweet Syncro in Tucson (pictured at the beginning of the thread) so that makes maybe 5 we know of in AZ.

ThorsenValhalla

What my Syncro looks like

Here is what my Syncro looks like. After we bought it in Denver last summer we drove home to Flagstaff taking a scenic route. This picture is from along Black Bear Road near Red Mountain Pass in the San Juans of southwest Colorado. No, we didn't take the road all the way to Telluride. I have not done anything to the van yet but have plans to get some better off road tires for it. Not much to choose from for Syncros because they are such tiny wheels but have to carry a lot of weight. I am leaning toward BFG All Terrains. Their smallest size fits. I want to add a ladder/rack to the back for bikes and a jerry can. I really needed a jerry can in Mojave National Preserve. Its a huge place with no gas stations in the park. This van did not start out life as a Westfalia Campervan. Someone added all the Westfalia camper stuff later so the layout is a little different than a real Westfalia. But I still have a 2 burner stove, a tiny useless fridge, and a sink. It sleeps 4 so it is great for small families and dogs. Since I have had it, the granny gear no longer works. Kind of expensive to repair so I thought I could live without it. Turns out I really need it. There have been 3 instances now where I could go no further because the road just got too steep. I had plenty of traction but just not enough power in first gear. The last place this happened was in the Eastern Sierras of CA. Coyote Flat road near Bishop was going to take us to an alpine meadow in the Sierras but I had to turn back. Very dissapointing. I will spending about $2500 to have the granny gear fixed. It's just not a Syncro without it. Don't buy a Syncro without expecting to spend money on maintenance. I have had many great expeditions in it and expect to have many more.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Very nice!!!

So the Westy started out as a Weekender model?
BFG a/t's are amazing. You will never regret getting them.

Good luck getting the granny fixed.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Wow - great photo! I like the color. I know what you mean about the maintenance costs. I agree that the BFG AT's are the way to go. For your fridge, you might try adding a little fan inside to circulate the air. Also add some additional insulation if you can make room for any.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78