Volvo C304 (4x4) Restore and fitout - WR7002

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
The builder off to the rainforest challenge (RFC2013) tonight so I got a quick update and worse the worker doing all the welding resigned.

Dash is built and console - overhead console not done but all gauges will be up on the console except the speedo (Garmin colorado GPS) and the tacho - tiny tach.

So work has stopped for 2 weeks until the 15th at least. My goal is just after Feb - ideally for my birthday on 5th March I want it on the road.

2013_11_27_Volvo_005.JPG

2013_11_27_Volvo_006.JPG

2013_11_27_Volvo_007.JPG

Once the dash is built and the overhead console done its sand blasting and painting time.

Last edited:

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
The to do list to get to 1 March 2013 completion date
01. Order Tiny Tacho
02. Buy Garmin Colorado
03. Order Digital Fuel Gauge from US
04. Order Air and Vaccumm gauges
05. Design Overhead Console
06. Build Overhead console
07. Position for Inverters and USB chargers
08. Design Rear Side bars and access to replaced removeable doors
09. Wiring
10. Sandblast and undercoat and paint chassis and body
11. Fit Alloy body panels
12. REfit every part.
13. Sound proofing fit (after back in Kuala Lumpur)
14. Collect shcks from Malacca
15. Buy leaf springs (after back in Kuala Lumpur)
16. Power STeering do (Ford F5000 tractor kit)
17. Buy 3+3 seats for rear $600rm each) and harnesses
18. Fit rear seats
19. Tie Down points identify and fit/create
20. Hammock connect points fit
21. 100liter Water Tank Make (Anivsah to supply 3 filters)
22. Roller slides purchase 4 - delivery January from Australia
23. Buy 4 MAxxis Bighorn 762's
24. Buy 200' of 11mm winch wire for the PTO and 125' of 9mm for the M12000 winch
25. Design PTO winch lock (Lever by vaccum) to replace canvas strap
26. Oil leak in DIFFS fix
27. Electric pump for engine radiator
28. REplace CV booties
29. Buy 2 200 amp batteries
30. Buy Reversing camera
31. Buy Icom VHF radio speaker
32. Buy driving camera.

Last edited:

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
Hey, can you elaborate on that? You are not going to use the mechnical coolant pump of the 14B-T or are you adding a pump in series to help the flow or...... what? ;)

Thanx,

.martin

We are using the 14B-T pump but will also have an series electric one to assist with the pushing of the water the 3+feet up to the radiator.

tiagra

We are using the 14B-T pump but will also have an series electric one to assist with the pushing of the water the 3+feet up to the radiator.

Ah. I think there is a mistake in your thinking... The same weight of water you are going to push UP, will also go DOWN. Unless you have air in the system, this will be in balance and pose no problem to the waterpump of the engine. Unless you are major crazy piping and have too small size radiators... which I'd doubt. ;) A series pump will either work against the stock pump (e.g. trying to be faster) or will slow down the stock pump (e.g. not as fast as stock). Don't hink you'll be able to synchronize this hydraulically...

.martin

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
26 December 2013

Long visit to the workshop on Boxing Day since the mechanic was working on the truck XMAS day I had no issue having a vist. Arrived 11.30am time for ******** chat and then lunch and then the serious stuff. First the office we started with a blank sheet for the control panel and worked our way through switched 1-26 which need to be on the control panel

Then the discussion on 12v vs 24v everthing discussed and reviewed again.

The empty switch box ready for me to reach when harnessed in.
2013_11_27_Volvo_007.JPG

Slowly the switch location emerged till we had this on the full size drawing.
2013_12_26_143427.jpg

The wiring diagram revisited all red is 24v all blue is 12v.
2013_12_26_143451.jpg

After 60+ minute time to go to downstairs and discuss Bretts list then mine.

Whats been done - all the ALLOY panels are cut out and now waiting for the rear seats and Drawer system to be installed.

2013_12_26_144312.jpg

2013_12_26_143816.jpg

There will be a raised platform at front 1/2 of the rear to sit fridge on (no it will not slide) and underneath will be a sliding table to be used as a cooking bench it will slide out approximately 600-800mm and will be 39" wide (1 meter).

The exhaust is now in place along with the hilift jack (6ft) and the shovel and chungko will also go here. The air intake will also fit up beside the exhaust.
2013_12_26_144353.jpg

2013_12_26_152613.jpg

I now have the depth of the fuel tank the matching gauge and sender from VDO can be ordered.

Then onto the rear seats 6 of these to be fitted they are 22" wide each we have 68.5" to fit them in. See our wonderful crash test dummy not smiling as we get the seat height correct. Once fitted then we can strip the rear sandblast it and undercoat it for the panels to be fitted. The seats are to only be fitted when the doors are removed and fixable sides designed along with harness seatbelts. So it will be a 8 seater when taking passengers.
2013_12_26_164300.jpg

Underneath the winches are all ready with new guides welded to the axles for the T-Max 18,500lb winch. Guides on springs to hold up the t-max and Volvo PTO winch cables to be fitted.

The seats have been removed ready to get the wiring done now it will be started this week.
2013_12_26_165308.jpg

Starting to look complete.
2013_12_26_170443.jpg

2013_12_26_170504.jpg

Water tank relocated and redesigned its either now 94liters (24 gallons) or 104 liters (26 gallons) and will be on the front wall of the reaer cabin.

It's first real trip will be 26-28 April when we have a 3 day trip to Cengal Besar (big tree) everythng ahs to work as this track is now really cut up.

2 months to go till d-day.

I have to deliver in next 2 weeks fuel gauge and sender, digital tacho, Water, 3 seats and harnesses.

Last edited:

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
Ah. I think there is a mistake in your thinking... The same weight of water you are going to push UP, will also go DOWN. Unless you have air in the system, this will be in balance and pose no problem to the waterpump of the engine. Unless you are major crazy piping and have too small size radiators... which I'd doubt. ;) A series pump will either work against the stock pump (e.g. trying to be faster) or will slow down the stock pump (e.g. not as fast as stock). Don't hink you'll be able to synchronize this hydraulically...

.martin

Yes we discussed this yesterday your probably correct with the way the discussion went

Last edited:

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
10 January 2014

The to do list to get to 1 March 2014 completion date
01. Order Tiny Tacho - ordered and delivered to my house
02. Buy Garmin Colorado
03. Order Digital Fuel Gauge from US - ordered VDO gauge as REMARK industries never answered email or fone - on way today
04. Order Air and Vaccumm gauges - ordered on today
05. Design Overhead Console - designed by brett
06. Build Overhead console
07. Position for Inverters and USB chargers
08. Design Rear Side bars and access to replaced removeable doors - designed waiting for Brett to make
09. Wiring - started
10. Sandblast and undercoat and paint chassis and body
11. Fit Alloy body panels
12. REfit every part.
13. Sound proofing fit (after back in Kuala Lumpur)
14. Collect shocks from Malacca - not heard if rebuilt yet :(
15. Buy leaf springs (after back in Kuala Lumpur)
16. Power STeering brett has ordered kit from USA.
17. Buy 3+3 seats for rear $600rm each) and harnesses
18. Fit rear seats
19. Tie Down points identify and fit/create
20. Hammock connect points fit
21. 100liter Water Tank Make (Anivsah to supply 3 filters still waiting)
22. Roller slides - to be made for the Volvo
23. Buy 4 MAxxis Bighorn 762's
24. Buy 200' of 11mm winch wire for the PTO and 125' of 9mm for the M12000 winch
25. Design PTO winch lock (Lever by vaccum) to replace canvas strap
26. Oil leak in DIFFS fix
27. Electric pump for engine radiator
28. REplace CV booties
29. Buy 2 200 amp batteries
30. Buy Reversing camera

Last edited:

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
13 January 2013.

More progress. The new custom toolbox has been built and its holding tray. New 12v battery holder built since we are going from 2 12v batteries back to one really large one.

Wiring is almost completed. Fuse boxes etc all installed in the new center console.

Water tank construction starts later this week.

my next visit is on 24/1/2014 on my way to a wedding in Penang.

By then I hope to have the remaining gauges to take up also.

Last edited:

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
18 jANUARY 2014

Latest progress

all the door handles and latches for the side doors have beeen purchased including the central locking.

Fuses and fuse boxes all connect up also. Power steering units have arrived from the USA and the first one is being fitted to the workshop racing Landrover (V6 Nissan turbo engine it does go rather rapidly lol) and tested so they can sort out any issues and then apply to the Volvo.

Switches and warnign lights to be purchased next week and fitted. They are all going to be bright and approx 1" in diameter each no tiny stuff in this truck.

The gauges finally on their way next tuesday from the USA no way they will make it for the friday run to the workshop in IPOH. So will have to courier them up after sigh.

The new secure toolbox (where the radiator used to be) is built and mounted in its new home.

Priced two new 200AMP batteries this morning from my local supplier 200USD each - sigh.

Next Friday go and buy the rear passenger seats and harneses on my way to the workshop.

I managed to find the big switch I hope to use as a STARTER button - yes its 3" in diameter lol.

2014_01_18_Volvo_134402.jpg

Then the kitten knicked the measuring tape
2014_01_18_Volvo_134423.jpg

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
24 January 2014

Quiet visit to the workshop on the way to a wedding in Penang.

I handed over the new BIG STARTER button much to his amusement I do wanna use it.

Then it was time for the visit to the truck and to discuss the small progress made.

The new 12v Battery location (under where the radiator used to be) with the 120AMP battery sitting in the location.
2014_01_24_Volvo_DSCF7292.JPG

Looks naked without the grill
2014_01_24_Volvo_DSCF7293.JPG

Then it was onto the new tool and spare parts holder.
2014_01_24_Volvo_DSCF7294.JPG

and then to move it into its new location. A release it being made for the grill to release it from the inside.
2014_01_24_Volvo_DSCF7295.JPG

Then I wandered around and decided to test the new door and pull down ladder to the roof out. It works so easy to get onto the roof.
2014_01_24_Volvo_DSCF7296.JPG

ALl the door fittings were viewed and we decided 2 locks per door and the central locking will all fit nicely. The locks will be fitted next week we hope but its Chinese New Year so nothing will be done as the only welder left is CHinese lol so figure 2 weeks before anything happens. The water tank also commences being built next week. I will be delivering the remainig gauges they finally left the USA today according to FEDEX webpage and buying the rear seats and harnesses wednesday as I will be on leave and heading to IPOH for my CNY family dinner.

So close to getting the rear painted and skinned.

the Door skinning might start next week also.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger