VQ40 engine buzzing noise from timing chain area

Raffro

I believe it depends on the year, but I'm not sure which years are included. I have an '05 and it was covered. If you do fall within the year parameters I would print out the TSB and bring it with you to the dealer. It's covered under your power train 5yr /50K. Expect the the dealer to have the truck for two days.

lamontagne

Adventurer
I noticed a whine on my 05 CC at 57,000 miles, I brought it in and sure enough....timing chain guides are worn. Fully covered under factory warranty, good thing too, the bill was $1300 at Peoria Nissan. They had it for 2 days.

After I picked it up is when the fun began. I got 8 miles from the dealership when stopped for lunch. I came out to find a puddle of antifreeze dripping from the truck. Back to the dealer, they say is just a bubble in the cooling system, purge the system, and give it back to me.

5 miles down the road the temp guage starts bouncing like Dolly Pardon on a trampoline, so turn round and start heading back. On Bell road in front of Arrowhead Mall the temp guage pegs full red HOT, engine goes into limp mode. I manage to drive the final mile SLOOOOOWLY and coast into Peoria Nissan.

Needlessly to say, I was doing my best impersonation of a steam locomotive. 3 hours later the tech has completely drained, flushed, pressurized, and purged the entire cooling system. I demand written acknowledgement of an overheating event due to an error on thier behalf in case the heads got warped and I blow a head gasket in the future. And I drive, carefully, away.

Every since then though, the truck sounds like chitty chitty bang bang! Especially at idle, the exhaust just rattles like crazy. I give up.

Raffro

Wow! That's some experience. I too had issues with the coolant after they completed the job. I had air in the system - took them months to get it right. But it was nothing like you experienced. Listen for water running through your dash and keep an eye on the temp gauge. If you hear water you still have air in the lines.

As for your exhaust - check the heat shields both before & after the cats (near the y pipe). I just installed a NISMO S-Tune exhaust (I'll never install an exhaust again) and finally found where my stock was rattling. Get some large screw clamps and tighten 'em all down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears