VW People....Check in!!!!

Cole

Expedition Leader
Well, I bought a GLS Hardtop T4 Eurovan that needed some engine work. Then cut a giant hole in the roof after getting it running.

8390981454_1a8399e924_b_d.jpg

The fully converted to a Westfalia Poptop Weekender and soon full camper!

8411703635_454c82eb5f_b_d.jpg

Bahaha

87 Syncro Hightop
Here's mine. 87 Syncro (Worlds smallest BF Goodrich KO's)

IMAGE_5D2E34FB-BD9C-4FED-9F48-91DF4C724A7E.JPG

Getting a 2nd floor apartment in a few weeks

IMAGE_55C0A8A6-6996-43C3-9E9F-C6F8637793A9.JPG

Then the full TigerBus treatment!

Rudeboy

2000-model VW CC syncro 2.5TDi

-My turn ?

Okay. Got my third Type 4 now after having both a '91-model 2.4d Caravelle CL ("Eurovan") 8-seater (had 10 when new, not during my time of ownership) and a 2003 2.5TDi Multivan INTRO (Norwegian converted weekendcamper, Westie roof and two Reimo cabinets in the middle, 5 seater).

So I got the California Coach about 13 months ago. Me and the missus discussed the Multivan with its 5 seats vs the California Coach with 4 seats but ended up with the Multivan, so partly because the marriage now is over (hey, I put on Iron Maiden's classic "Running Free" the other day when I got a letter from the Govt claiming I'm a free man again) and partly because I do not need 5 seats, I got the fourseater with a syncro and ESP + tracksion control.

First thing I did last year was fit a set of 5 ATs and they look nice. Note the posh wheelbolts - I got 23 black bolts now, looks way better.

Only drawback is now the spare wheel cover won't fit anymore :coffeedrink:

Like all Californias it has a to burner stove (propanefuelled, mine is leaking near the bottle so I will get a new hose), and an Electrolux frigde (top lid).Like the previous Westfaliaconverted campers it has plenty of space in cabinets and all I miss from the Westfalia Multivan I sold to my ex.father-in, is the safety net in the loft - keeped my daughter from falling down. So I ought to get another net and mount it before she discovers gravity (she's 4 yrs old, bound to happen).

I dream of the day when I have fitted a difflock on the rear axle, but for now it is sufficient as a softroader with its electronic difflock on the front axle.

Also I await reply from a "local" converter company, Arctic Trucks (Norway) that might just raise my rig about four inches for me. Arctic Trucks advertize that they have been tought by Peter Seikel (Autoseikel.de), so I really want a positive reply anytime soon. Like now ? No.

They, or if they cannot do it - AutoSeikel themselves - will also mount skid plates under the engine, the drive chain and the fuel tank.

When done - all I got to do is put money aside and go somewhere when the time is right.

In the 13 months I have done about 20.000 km, wich is little for me - I have "normally" the last five years had an annual driving distance of about 50.000km.

Plans ? I got plans. I know the cost of driving from Durban, Zuid-Africa to the North Cape, and I have an idea of what it takes to do the Panamerican Highway from Ushuaia to Alaska. Currently I fiddle with routeplanners, my paper travel notebook and a calculus to get a better understanding of what it takes to drive the Silk Road (one of them).

Hope I'm able to start a once in a lifetime event for myself when I retire from work close to 30 years from now, driving around the world. Till then, I shall attend the German "Treffen" (mean - meatings, gatherings) like Bullidays 2013 (was there last year with von Boedefeld amongst others), Lohr Tuning-treffen at Wietzendorf and of course - our own little Buscamp at Tinn, Telemark.

Yours,
Yngve from Oslo

G0to60

Observer
Back in my late high school and early college years all I had was my VW Corrado to do all the stuff I wanted to do so it got the duty of hauling my snowboards, kayaks, and backpacking gear for many years. I still have it but it has been relegated to a weekend/fun car.

crawldit

Adventurer
Not a great pic, but just picked up this 84 Westy last night. Muffler and exhaust tip are rusted out and need replaced to get it to pass Colorado emissions, but everything else seems sound. Engine and transmission were replaced 60k miles ago. New canvas about 2 years ago. Body has some spots and definitely needs a paint job. It's a 3rd vehicle and we have a truck camper, so I'm not in a rush, but can't wait to start ordering parts and working on her. I am now the 4th owner with all original paperwork and receipts for work.

Quest4ADV

Adventurer
Sweet, I had an 84, but not a Westy. Wish I still had it. Loved that thing.

We have a 2010 CC Sport that my GF drives. It's a very smooth car and that 2.0 Turbo is a lot quicker than it sounds. Great MPG too.

But I'll still to driving my Xterra 4x4, it's more my speed.

olsurfer

Observer
Bugzilla

Here's my version of a baja.

Attachments

• 102_1276.jpg
    102_1276.jpg
    615.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 102_1280.jpg
    102_1280.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 102_1283.jpg
    102_1283.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 102_1222.jpg
    102_1222.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 65

carterzest

IMG_6087_zps819b3f43.jpg

IMG_6086_zpsafa78598.jpg

My 17th Vangon, first Syncro Vanagon(I now have two).
I have owned many VW's over the years. Favorites include Meyers Manx, VW Gazelle Kit Car, 79 Super Beetle Convertible, 2 74 VW Thing(type 181),18 Vanagons, 69 squareback, 1956 dual cargo door split bus, 1957 Single Cab just sold this past summer http://www.oldbug.com/jeff57sing
I guess you could say I got the habit.
Grew up in Landcruisers.

rody

Here my rig a 1989 Westy Syncro Factory 16" . At first it was a dream car and it's becoming a retirement Overland projet . I redone almost everything TDI , tranny , body , electrical , etc and some accomodation who goes with Overlanding it's not over yet but coming pretty close .PA178662.JPGPA178665.JPGPA178666.JPGPA178667.JPGPA178672.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle