VW People....Check in!!!!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I just picked up a fairly rough 1977 van. I got a really good deal on it as long as the motor is good. I can fix the body I figure fairly easy. If the motor or trans is messed, that's a little more intense. I can't wait to get it home, drain all fluids, and put fresh in. attach a new battery and try to fire it up.

Anyone have any pointers on trying to fire it up?

ihatemybike

Explorer
Don't be scared. I'd rather do engine work than body work. How long has it been sitting? Does the engine turn over by hand? Is it a manual or automatic transmission?

In case you don't know already, The Samba will become your second home.

Mexicant

1967 Baja Beetle that serves as my daily driver/off roader. 215/75s front 235/75 rear front beam has been cut and turned (not sure how much) rear indexed to match. Close ratio 3rd and 4th so running 4k rpms @70
Future plans are 31s on the rear and install the 1835cc I have already.

Current setup

71bdae1b5c3354c4bd6fc04a734ff779.jpg

Older action shot

5b654cbe3b229c1e7a5e75d44891e3ab.jpg

Night shots

a8a1fd0f298718a06370f59f11eef764.jpg

05ee609f14d73487067c168b123ad664.jpg

kweetech

Observer
Picked this up...Bostig powered 84, plan is to swap everything mechanical into my late dad's 83 Westy we're restoring. End result should be sweet. In the meantime...its been pretty fun driving this around.
Planning on selling the roof rack, if anyone midwest is interested. $_57.JPG

chasema

Our 1973 Thing has been in the family for over 30 years and has been all over the country and I think down to mexico a few times. It was my grandfathers, then passed to me dad ( who still tows it behind his motor home) and some day it will be mine, I already do a lot of the maintenance on it and it was the first car I learned how to drive when I was 13 out in the woods with my dad. Tons of memories! And to many more!

deminimis

Explorer
A couple pics of our Chenowth from 2008. I'm currently completely redoing it. The only thing VW left left will be the 091 transaxle and the wheel bolt pattern Rear is getting Tatum midboards (arrived yesterday), Fox 2.0 coil overs and Fox 3.0 3-Tube by passes. Front gets 4" over trailing arms and Fox internal bypass coilovers. Powerplant will be a 3.5ltr Honda V-6. The thing that always bugged me about the Chenowth Explorer was the low front end vertical spacing (low hood line). I have a couple frame mods in mind to address that. New tig welder arrives Tuesday, so I need to spend some time getting proficient with that before I tackle some of my upcoming mods as some will involve 4130.

(purposefully trying to break stuff in order to find weak areas and fix before a Baja trip):

Jump.jpg

Trouble-free trip as a result;
2923215100_93388f1a28.jpg

Current pic: Determining optimum placement of the midboard hub plates (I'll fire up the plasma cutter this weekend to start fitting them):

upload_-1.jpg

This image (one of several) is the model for my chassis mods:

chenowth_e_012.jpg

This project has sat idle for 5 years. During our last trip to Baja, we realized just how much we needed our buggy for getting around...fast. As a result, the Chenowth has moved to the front of the project list and the convertible bug....well, it's just giong to sit (i have a about 100 hours left to completely finish the Bug, but now it sits in the storage side of my shop):

upload_-1.jpg

Last edited:

bobdirt

Here's my 74 standard.

I drug it home as a crumpled wreck for $800. I fabbed up a prerunner bumper which also supports the vintage IPF lights, Fit a tired old 1 piece front end, Mounted a $30 hi lift (modified and cut down to work in the stock jacking points) in place of the rear bumper.

I have wanted a baja bug for 20yrs and this lil guy is tons of fun. With no lift and 235/75's stuffed in the fenders it has taken me down trails I can't believe.

Good times!
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

earloftheburl

This is my '69 that drives me to work every day.

It has embarrassingly few dirt miles but I take it off road around here whenever I can. It especially loves to get stuck at the oregon dunes.

I recently fitted it with an "enduro recovery" attachment in case I break my bike.

Attachments

• bug xt.jpg
    bug xt.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 61
  • duneage.jpg
    duneage.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Stuartieboy

I guess I'd better join in.....

One of my old ones, 1990 2wd double cab, 1.9 petrol, heading away with the new owner:
IMG_1679.jpg

Replaced by a 1989 Syncro Caravelle GL:
IMG_1658.JPG

It has a huge factory sunroof in the back, so I'm in two minds whether to put a pop top on or not.......
Decisions!!

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Man I really love VWs! Always had a soft spot for them, they seem to always bring a smile to my face anytime one rolls up. Out of curiosity, how do some of you newer model VW owners like the 2.0L TDI? I understand there are some emission issues getting sorted out but what's the opinion overall of the motor?

Ryan Rogers

Adventurer
Man I really love VWs! Always had a soft spot for them, they seem to always bring a smile to my face anytime one rolls up. Out of curiosity, how do some of you newer model VW owners like the 2.0L TDI? I understand there are some emission issues getting sorted out but what's the opinion overall of the motor?

We've had 2 of them, now. My wife's daily driver is a 2014 TDI Jetta. They're great cars (except the whole EPA shenanigans). She commutes 80 miles round trip everyday...I couldn't think of a better car to do it. Plus, it has plenty of get up and MOVE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger