VW Touareg V6 Diesel Overland Build thread

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
There doesn't seem to be much info on overlanding with the Volkswagen Touareg, so I wanted to post some details about my build of a 2009 Touareg TDI here. I have long been looking for a small-ish maneuverable 4x4 expedition vehicle platform, with a fuel efficient diesel, high reliability, and good offroad capabilities. There aren't many options in the USA for diesel 4x4s that aren't full sized trucks, and I've owned most of them, and not been too happy with them except the Touareg. My previous Isuzu Trooper TD model was mostly great, but couldn't do freeway speeds safely and got stuck easily with its open diffs. The Touareg for me seems to be the holy grail of capability, performance, and reliability. I also like the Porsche Cayenne diesel built on the same platform, but in the USA you can't find that combination with a low range transfer case, a deal killer for me. You can also get the TDI Touareg with air suspension that gives great ground clearance, but I wasn't able to find one for sale, so I lifted the steel suspension.

Some technical points about the Touareg V6 TDI (2008-2010) that I think are not widely known:
  • This is a purpose built heavy duty unibody based offroad vehicle- with a real 2 speed divorced transfer case, center diff lock, and heavy duty Aisin truck transmission. The 7,716 lb tow capacity illustrates that this is not made with passenger car components in a big SUV body, as it appears to be visually.
  • Designed from the factory for deep water crossings, with triple door seals, and all components vented up high
  • 50.3:1 crawl ratio coupled with 406 ft*lb totally flat torque curve from only ~1500rpm
  • Available rear locker, locking transfer case, and air suspension
  • Excellent traction control that drives almost like a fully locked vehicle without needing front or rear lockers
  • Excellent aftermarket support with lift kits, underbody protection, winch bumpers, etc., especially from Eurowise Offroad
  • Overall high build quality and interior quality- no rattles after 145k miles with lots of offroad
Some downsides of this vehicle:
  • Although most of the vehicle is reliable, the diesel emissions equipment can cause reliability issues, although they won't leave you stranded. Will not run on high sulfur diesel or biodiesel without removing the emissions equipment first
  • Interior space is relatively small for the size and weight of the vehicle, and you can't easily sleep inside unless very short, or building a platform with the front seats folded forward. The relatively small rear storage area has a sloped floor, so things often fall out when you open the hatch.
  • Limited suspension flex, although disconnecting the swaybars and traction control makes this manageable

Here is what I have done already:
  • iKamper skycamp 4X roof tent: a 1.0 tent upgraded into a 3.0 w/ parts from iKamper
  • BFG A/T KO2 LT245/70R17 on 17" Canyon wheels
  • T1 underseat drawer, filled with emergency repair parts: epoxy, bailing wire, coolant sealing tape, etc.
  • Comprehensive maintenance: all fluids changed with OEM fluids, all major wear items replaced with new
  • Recovery gear including Smittybilt recovery ramps, hi-lift jack that lifts from the wheels w/ extra base, folding shovel, lots of shackles, straps, and ropes, and a small electric chainsaw that charges from onboard inverter
  • Eurowise 2.5" lift kit with 1/2" subframe drop for 5 degree axle angles
  • Bilstein B6 shocks all around, with stock metal springs
  • Eurowise winch plate (hidden inside bumper) w/ Harbor Freight BADLAND APEX 12000 lb winch
  • Spare tire carrier on 2" receiver, full sized matching spare
Here is what I currently have planned (feedback very welcome):
  • Some type of undercarriage protection- considering making just a DIY flat steel plate vs buying a Eurowise system
  • A slide out kitchen drawer for the tailgate area
  • Sand anchor(s) or deadman for winching out of soft sand
More details are on the Touareg forum here: Family camper / overland build thread T2 V6 TDI
And a trip report of doing the Mojave Trail last year: Mojave Road Trip Report | California USA | Difficult | April 2022 - 2009 Touareg TDI

GOPR0762.JPG
Towards the end of the Mojave Road last year (pre-lift install)

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Awesome choice! Highly underrated.

EW has some good products, just make sure you get all the pieces you ordered. And research other companies out there too. Stay away from the poly bushings unless you appreciate your rig sounding like a squealing pig.

If you make your own skid, be mindful to not trap engine heat; provide some room for heat to escape.

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. These TDi's are good engines, but they can get expensive quick when maintenance/repairs are deferred.

Would love to see more pics!

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
EW has some good products, just make sure you get all the pieces you ordered.

Thank you for all of the advice! Indeed, I placed a big order last year and am still waiting on some parts, but what I have received from them seems to be good quality. I will post some more pics shortly, here is one of towing a 15' sailboat offroad through the Mojave desert the weekend before last.
IMG_0975 copy.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Love it! Subscribed!

When i was looking at Cayennes, i also looked at the Touaregs and find them a bit more aesthetically pleasing and cleaner lines.

Also, e lockers front and rear was an option on the VW and can be retrofitted with a ton of different gear ratios from the factory and fairly easy to find on ebay.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Love it! Subscribed!

When i was looking at Cayennes, i also looked at the Touaregs and find them a bit more aesthetically pleasing and cleaner lines.

Also, e lockers front and rear was an option on the VW and can be retrofitted with a ton of different gear ratios from the factory and fairly easy to find on ebay.

You mean rear e-locker from the factory.
Front e-locker is only aftermarket, from Harrop/Eaton....being tested now.
<kissy face>

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Clearly the Touareg was designed for front and rear diffs, the dash multi-function-display has an indicator for the front diff lock, and the switch RAM5500 posted above exists... but nobody on the Touareg forums has ever found evidence of a real world example of the front locker itself, just the switch. My theory is that VW actually built some of them but used them only internally for factory race cars, and offroad demo vehicles.

I plan to add the rear locker just because I can, but it's not trivial to find the parts in the USA- and there are a lot of parts required. It's unclear to me how much, if any capability is gained with the rear locker. For example, climbing up the Piute Mountains in the Mojave there were long stretches where it was on three wheels much of the time, and kept creeping uphill just barely off idle without all of the revving and slipping you'd expect from brake based traction control (VW's EDL system).

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Clearly the Touareg was designed for front and rear diffs, the dash multi-function-display has an indicator for the front diff lock, and the switch RAM5500 posted above exists... but nobody on the Touareg forums has ever found evidence of a real world example of the front locker itself, just the switch. My theory is that VW actually built some of them but used them only internally for factory race cars, and offroad demo vehicles.

I plan to add the rear locker just because I can, but it's not trivial to find the parts in the USA- and there are a lot of parts required. It's unclear to me how much, if any capability is gained with the rear locker. For example, climbing up the Piute Mountains in the Mojave there were long stretches where it was on three wheels much of the time, and kept creeping uphill just barely off idle without all of the revving and slipping you'd expect from brake based traction control (VW's EDL system).

Yeah, I just like getting that @mk216v fella all riled up.

Been off-roading most of my life and lockers aren’t all they’re hyped up to be and I’ve only “needed” them a handful of times in 20+ years

Personally, I don’t think it’s worth the cost and work to add one after the fact, the money can be better used elsewhere for sure

My .02

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

Agreed with you both; VAG prepped these for a front locker, but never implemented in production rigs. That's all I was saying. Can do the Harrop/Eaton from VW.

Sven at Sktec is the man for the OEM rear locker setup. LMK if you need his info.

When you needed your rear locker RAMthang, you really needed it tho?

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
An interesting and, for this side of the pond, unique direction. Having seen 2WD beat up POS’ all over the world get to places that has left me scratching my head in disbelief I have no doubt that your ride will provide plenty of satisfaction, lockers or not ?

In my own efforts at attaining vehicle nirvana I have sought mechanical and aesthetic satisfaction. Since you asked for input I’ve got to inquire about your RTT. That thing looks like a beach umbrella capable of casting a wide shadow over the VW in the closed position. Perhaps it’s the angle of the photo however have you thought about bringing it closer to the actual roof of the SUV?
Best of luck with you build. Should bring many miles of smiles.

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Having seen 2WD beat up POS’ all over the world get to places that has left me scratching my head in disbelief I have no doubt that your ride will provide plenty of satisfaction, lockers or not ?

Agreed... as a teenager I did a lot of offroading and even long 'overlanding' trips in Baja, etc. in RWD 70s and 80s Volvos, and almost always got where I was trying to go. It really helped me learn to drive offroad- choosing lines, evaluating surfaces, etc. Compared to that, the Touareg seems limitless. There's so much elitism in offroading in the USA, and focus on expensive equipment vs learned skills. Almost everyone that I run across in the Touareg offroad either makes fun of me, or gives me "earnest advice" to head back home, even on dirt roads that a skilled driver could handle in a stock Honda Civic. In some people, just seeing the Touareg offroad makes them extremely angry, to the point where it can be scary to me and my family "GET THE **** OFF THIS TRAIL- YOU WILL DIE OUT HERE WITH THAT PIECE OF ****."

Perhaps it’s the angle of the photo however have you thought about bringing it closer to the actual roof of the SUV?

Indeed, that is a serious problem, wind noise is excessive, and I can't enter parking garages. Mounting it like this was easy because this is the factory roof rack system. It has permanently mounted rails, and these (super high) removable cross bars. If you or anyone else has any suggestions about what kind of system would be better, please let me know.

I thought about keeping it high and using the space to put the traction boards and high-lift jack, but I'd rather get that weight low as well.

Last edited:

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
Haters gonna hate. I have learned long ago to ignore them. They already know everything so it’s a waste of good oxygen to attempt to enlighten them with life’s variety and alternatives. Seems you are wise about this basic rule already so good on ya.

As you point out, there is a lot of room up there (between surfaces). Perhaps lightweight storage needs are well served in maximizing options. Paddle boards would make a great addition to your rig. ?

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Paddle boards would make a great addition to your rig.

Haha, I almost always bring either an inflatable paddle board, or inflatable 3 person kayak which take up a lot of room inside. A solid paddle board under the RTT sounds pretty tempting.

Edit: For anyone else looking into this, I have found the Rhino Rack system that requires removing the factory rails would lower the tent by nearly 3"

Last edited:

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
I installed the winch today on a Eurowise winch plate. It was a lot harder than I expected... it took me hours to get off and reinstall the radiator clips on the crash bar, because my hands are so big and access so tight. My hands are really torn up. I imagine this would be easy on a non-turbo car, but on mine all of the intercooler parts were in the way. I need to get used to the reality of modern cars, where 90% of the labor is removing and reinstalling unrelated parts for access.

It's not every day one gets to take a dremel to a nice German luxury car and "make room" for a large item like this.

I am really happy with how it turned out... the winch is nearly unnoticeable with just a small fairlead tucked just below the license plate. I like how this car has turned into a sort of sleeper where I can remove the roof tent, reinstall street tires, and it looks and drives basically like a stock car. You'd have to really know Touaregs and look closely to notice the lift or winch.

I'm taking my family to Death Valley for spring break, where we will spend a week exploring offroad in the Touareg.

IMG_1038 copy.jpg

IMG_1039 copy.jpg
IMG_1040 copy.jpg
(cross-post from Touareg forum)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior