w0mps WJ Build Thread

W0mps

Adventurer
So I decided to start a build thread not only to share my WJ with everyone here, but to kind of keep a journal for myself on the Jeep's process. My main goal is to make it a nice daily driver/weekend wheeler. I'd like to get it to a capable trail rig, but be able to drive it to work the next day. So here goes.

Factory Specs:

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
4.7L V8 Power Tech
5-Speed Automatic 545RFE
Selec-Trac NV242HD
Dana 30 Front Axle
Dana 44 Rear Axle
3.73 Gear Ratio
Stone White in Color

Aftermarket Specs:

K&N Cold Air Intake and Pre-Filter
Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler
JET Chip
Iron Rock Off Road Adjustable Short Arms
Iron Rock Off Road Adjustable A-Arm
Iron Rock Off Road Extended Rear Sway Bar Links
Iron Rock Off Road 4" Coil Springs
Bilstein 5125 Shocks
JKS Heavy Duty Adjustable Track Bar
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Rough Country 1.5" Wheel Spacers
265/70/17 BFGoodrich KM2's
Up Country Skid Plates
Saguaro4xC Front D Shackle Mounts
Warn Rear Reciever Shackle
Optima Red Top Deep Cycle Battery

Current Status: 4/14/13

A little history - I had got the Jeep in November of 2010. Traded my TJ for it because I needed more room and a better ride to work, being that my Jeeps are normally my daily drivers. The WJ was pretty much stock except for the dreaded Rough Country lift.

W0mps

Adventurer
About a month after I got it, the Jeep came to me like this. Bone stock with the exception of the Rough Country 4" lift, which was getting tossed eventually anyhow:

02WJ8.jpg

02WJ7.jpg

02WJ6.jpg

02WJ5.jpg

02WJ4.jpg

02WJ3.jpg

02WJ2.jpg

02WJ1.jpg

02WJ11.jpg

02WJ12.jpg

02WJ13.jpg

02WJ10.jpg

W0mps

Adventurer
Next I went ahead and threw some 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KM2's on it. I was torn between going with a smaller aftermarket wheel or keeping the stock Avila's with some spacers. I'm glad I kept the stockers:

02WJ14.jpg

02WJ16.jpg

02WJ20.jpg

02WJ29.jpg

02WJ25.jpg

02WJ26.jpg

After 1.5" Spacers:

02WJ100.jpg

02WJ101.jpg

W0mps

Adventurer
I went ahead and changed all my fluids over to synthetic. I run Mobil 1 10W30 fully synthetic motor oil and filter and Amsoil throughout the transmission, transfer case and both axles. Then I decided it was time for some recovery points. I already had the tow package and a warn receiver shackle from my previous rig, so I was good to go in the rear. I decided to spend the extra money on the front and instead of doing tow hooks, go with the shackles. I felt they were a safer alternative and were WAY beefier. I ordered a set from Saguaro4xC and had them installed in no time. Was very impressed with how beefy the mounts were!

02WJ43.jpg

02WJ91.jpg

W0mps

Adventurer
I already have a Mopar gas tank skid plate so I decided to pick up a transfer case skid plate from the dealer. $55 out the door and my transfer case was protected:

02WJ85.jpg

W0mps

Adventurer
I was looking at choices for roof racks and heard alot of great things about the Rola rack for the WJ. They were quite common and looked pretty good. I ordered one and set up Hella 500FF and 75FF lighting along with a custom relay box. I used some PIAA round light brackets after making the mistake of drilling it and bolting the lights directly to the front of the rack. They were already sitting at a 90 degree angle and would not adjust anymore, making them shine directly at the hood. The rears worked out fine, but I went and mounted them on the PIAA brackets as well.

* After a month of having the rack, it started collecting rust around the seam, being it was a 2-piece bolt together rack. I took it off the roof and discovered the inside was filled with rust water already, dripping all over my Jeep. Needless to say, I went and got rid of the rack.

02WJ38.jpg

02WJ39.jpg

02WJ40.jpg

02WJ41.jpg

02WJ42.jpg

02WJ32.jpg

02WJ44.jpg

W0mps

Adventurer
So, I have my armor and recovery points, now it was time to get some quality recovery gear to carry with me all the time. Here's what I carry so far, I'm sure the list will keep growing:

02WJ96.jpg

ARB Recovery Bag:

02WJ76.jpg

02WJ88.jpg

02WJ89.jpg

02WJ90.jpg

ARB 2"x30' Snatch Strap
ARB 2"x10' Tree Trunk Protector
ARB Speedy Seal Tire Puncture Repair Kit
ARB Tire Deflator
Assorted 3/4" D-Rings

Craftsman Case:

02WJ74.jpg

1/4" Ratchet/Standard/Metric Sockets
3/8" Ratchet/Standard/Metric Sockets
1/2" Ratchet/Standard/Metric Sockets
1/2"x2' Breaker Bar
Standard and Metric Box Wrenches
Torx/Allen/Screw Driver Sockets

Craftsman Tool Box:

02WJ75.jpg

Phillips/Common Screw Drivers
Channel Locks
Regular Pliers
Needle Nose Pliers
Linesman Pliers
Diagonal Cutters
L/M/S Adjustable Wrenches
Pipe Wrench
Utility Knife
Tape Measure
Mini Sledge Hammer
Cold Chisel

Action Packer #1: (Fluids)

02WJ72.jpg

(2) Quarts Mobil 1 10W30
(2) Quarts Amsoil 75W90
(2) Quarts Amsoil ATF
(1) Gallon 50/50 Coolant
DOT3 Brake Fluid
Brake Parts Cleaner
WD40
Grease/Gun
High Temperature RTV
JB Weld
Epoxy
Red/Blue Lock Tight

Action Packer #2: (Clean/Repair)

02WJ73.jpg

Blue Paper Towels
Garbage Bags
Rubber Gloves
Drop Cloth
Toilet Paper
Terry Towels
Wire Ties
Bailing Wire
Duct Tape
Assorted Mini/Regular Fuses
Sway Bar Case/Spare Clips

Action Packer #3: (Spare Parts)

12V Air Compressor
12V Drop Light
Ratchet Straps
Spare Serpentine Belt
Spare Universal Joints
Spare Tie Rod Ends

Also installed a 12V female plug behind my cargo panel and mounted my rechargeable Streamlight.

02WJ86.jpg

W0mps

Adventurer
So my blend doors were starting to act up, the heat was cold and I popped a hole in the radiator. It was time to tackle the cooling system. I replaced the radiator and pulled the dash. A couple hundred dollars later and about a weekend, my heat was hot and all my blend doors were working. Replacing the radiator and pulling the dash was not too hard, just time consuming. My advice is to keep everything nice and organized and make sure you have enough time to do it! Don't rush!

02WJ80.jpg

02WJ84.jpg

02WJ83.jpg

W0mps

Adventurer
Started hearing a rattle coming from the rear of my Jeep and found this:

02WJ81.jpg

02WJ82.jpg

After seeing this, getting death wobble and having my RC springs sag an inch in about a year, I knew it was time to upgrade the suspension. First thing I did was grind off the WELDED track bar drop bracket on the frame side of the Jeep and ditch the drop pitman arm for a stock one. Yes, I did say the drop bracket was WELDED on (PO). Went and upgraded to a JKS heavy duty track bar.

02WJ79.jpg

I aligned the Jeep after this and it took care of 80% of my wobbles. After going over EVERYTHING in the front end and confirming all the wearable parts were in good shape, I decided to get some control arms and play with the caster. Installed all Iron Rock Off Road adjustable control arms in the front and rear and was off to the alignment shop again. Had my guy adjust the caster to a sweet 3.8 degrees and all my wobbles were gone.

I had previously installed JKS quick disconnect sway bar links up front and decided to upgrade the rear sway bar links to the longer IRO ones, to get rid of the drop brackets.

02WJ97.jpg

02WJ98.jpg

02WJ53.jpg

02WJ55.jpg

02WJ54.jpg

02WJ57.jpg

02WJ56.jpg

02WJ95.jpg

02WJ99.jpg

While I was installing the rear sway bar links, I had to use the supplied nut and bolt from IRO. The stock WJ brackets have a welded nut on them, so I was forced to grind it off and hit it with some paint.

02WJ58.jpg

02WJ59.jpg

Took the Jeep over to my buddy's shop to torque everything down and took some undercarriage pictures.

02WJ60.jpg

02WJ61.jpg

02WJ62.jpg

02WJ63.jpg

02WJ64.jpg

02WJ65.jpg

02WJ66.jpg

02WJ67.jpg

02WJ68.jpg

The last couple suspension modifications (coming soon) include Iron Rock 4" springs and Bilstein 5100's all around.

After a few trips offroad, I got fed up with using my rubber marks on my front bumper as a guideline to trim the plastic, so I decided to cut the lower half of the bumper off. I used some frog tape and a very fine tooth sawzall blade to cut, and a nice sharp razor knife to clean up the burrs after:

02WJ102.jpg

02WJ103.jpg

No more rubbing!

W0mps

Adventurer
My girlfriend and family threw me a suprise birthday party and made me this kick-*** cake.

02WJ71.jpg

Also, the first snow of the season has hit NJ!

02WJ70.jpg

02WJ69.jpg

W0mps

Adventurer
I bought a small tire inflator last week to air up after hitting the trails. I was going to just wait and save for an OBA set up, but that's pretty far down the line and this thing was on sale for $20, originally $50, and I couldn't pass it up. It beats dumping change into a air compressor on the way home. It's a Masterflow MP-140, bought at Pep Boys Auto.

Nice little carrying case for compressor and hose

02WJ104.jpg

Finally put the rear 12v to good use

02WJ105.jpg

Used my ARB EZ Deflator and aired down to my normal 15PSI that I run on the trail. I run 32PSI on the street

02WJ106.jpg

Timed, from 15PSI to 32PSI it takes 6 minutes per tire. The compressor gets pretty hot, along with the 12v plug. I'm not too worried about it though, we'll see how long it holds up.

02WJ107.jpg

02WJ108.jpg

W0mps

Adventurer
The last of the Rough Country stuff has been removed and my new Iron Rock stuff is here. Took the suspension out to do some painting of the undercarriage. Zero rust on the Jeep, just some paint chips from rocks and normal driving. Figured now would be the best time to paint to prevent rust. I'm also painting the front and rear axles with POR15 and a semi-gloss top coat. The undercarriage was sanded down, degreased and pressure washed. I'll be hitting it with Rustoleum semi-gloss black.

02WJ112.jpg

02WJ113.jpg

Degreased and cleaned the engine bay:

02WJ114.jpg

And threw a new set of replacement head lights from Rock Auto in:

02WJ115.jpg

The one thing that I desperately needed were new coil spring isolators. The old ones were rotted and falling apart. I picked up the whole set of 8 from Morris 4x4 for about $100 shipped. I did find some rust under the isolator on the front axle though. It will be cut out and a new coil bucket will be fabricated.

02WJ116.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to paint the undercarriage. I have a new set of 4" IRO springs and a set of Bilstein 5125's to complete the suspension. Just sucks it will be in the 20's all week here in NJ!

W0mps

Adventurer
Made some new coil spring cups for the front axle out of some stainless pipe.

Knocked off the old ones:

02WJ117.jpg

Grinded the perch nice and flat:

02WJ118.jpg

Cupped the pipe:

02WJ119.jpg

Welded them in place:

02WJ120.jpg

Ready for POR-15!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members