Wagoneer

RocTrac

Adventurer
My main use will be to replace my trailer for camping and maybe to pull the rubi to the trail head and then for use as "BASE CAMP ALPHA".
Oh, I have another tricycle motor on the way and need more seats than the rubi can provide. If it works out it may replace the rubi.
I am not looking to hot rod it, just more highway power and for towing. When off road I don't like to get into the skinny pedal.
I would really like to find a pre emissions waggy to build so that I can drop in about anything in the engine compartment. But those are hard to find.
If it was to be for crawling the rox then I would be looking into 60's and a cummings drivetrain.

brice

Great idea

I am planning the same build, the waggy has plenty of room for a family and is a simple vehicle to build an maintain. There is a ton of good info over at the International Full Size Jeep association's site ( ifsja.org ). Some of the people there have already done the swap. For info on the 5.3 swap check out the conversions and hybrids section at ls1tech.com. Keep us updated if you start a build.

-Cody

njjeepthing

Explorer
gprsdlyt said:
curious, where did that waggy come from? i saw a very clean waggy at the pajeeps.org show last july for $1500 also.
build sounds good! ive always love the fsj's, especially in expedition trim! pics?

I saw it too, I wanted so badly to take it home with me. Wonder if it ever sold?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Having worked as a specialty machinist/fabricator in a racing engine shop and worked on a couple of them, I wouldn't put the AMC engine in the same class as the SBC or even the SBF. The oil pump is not that great of a design. Any damage to the oil pump cavity means that you need a new timing cover casting. The exhaust ports are rather poorly shaped and there really is no cure for that. The same effort & $$ put into an SBC or an SBF would yield more performance, economy, and durability.
That said, the AMC isn't a bad engine. It could be much worse and be an IHC V8.
My Cherokee Chief got in the range of 8-9 MPG with it's carb'd 360/TH400/QuadraTrac combo, but it was not optimized in the short time that I had it (too rusty). I know that just loosing the 33-12.50 BAJA T/A's would have improved things a bit.

If one was determined to keep the stock engine an option that hasn't been mentioned is to use the some-what common adapter plate that allows AMC engines that originally had the rare AMC only TH400 case to use a std. Chevrolet TH400 trans case to mount a 700R4 behind the AMC V8. Then you could have a 4 spd auto trans behind the stock engine. Either the NP208 or NP241 will have a low range equal to or better than the Q-Trac's low range and weigh less.

If so equipped, two things happen to the QuadraTrac t/c in hard use. The chain stretches and the viscous coupler center diff gives up. The biggest problem in replacing a Q-Trac is the offset rear output. I don't see a Dana 18 really being a viable option (though they have been used in some V8 applications). The remaining OE offset output t/c's that I know of are the FJ40 & 60 parts (80's?). I don't recall that the Atlas can be configured this way. No idea about if the Stak can or not.
Perhaps the rear drive shaft is long enough to allow a centered rear output w/o having nasty U-Joint angles?

From reading on other forums the report generally is to not use the 5.3L for any sort of towing or other high torque - low engine speed uses. It will do it, but the 5.7L does it so much easier.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Yeah, for offset cases you have Qtrac, Dana 18, Land Cruiser or Land Rover.

For the time, effort, expense I'd put in a "normal" centered rear diff and a "normal" transfer case (likely NV241C/D) and call it done.

With a normal, non-offset transfer case your 2WD power path is straight through the box so you aren't wasting any fuel turning gears under power for no good reason. I'm a big fan of modern transfer cases where appropriate.

If the stock drivetrain works run it till it breaks or needs major R&R. I'd still futz with the TBI conversion. It's gotta be worth a few MPG (speculation) and any excuse to ditch a carb the better IMO.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman