Walky Talkies for trails?

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
This is probably a terribly low level question for most of you with CB's and 2M's and HAM's and Turkeys and such, but im trying to find a simple solution.

Some friends and I are planning a 4 day trip to Moab in early June. There will be 4 couples in 4 vehicles (2 equipped Tacomas, a YJ and a Pathfinder). We will be driving from Denver, to Moab, doing some trails, and then back to Denver. Will be staying really close the whole time and probably be doing the more popular trails like Fins n' things and the like. Not all of us have CB radios so would some Motorola walky talkies do the job? Im not sure if people want to invest in a CB setup for this trip but I would like us to have some form of communication. If this is a ridiculously stupid idea let me know and ill shut up :) But I thought it might be a cheap and simple way to solve the problem.

Keep in mind, as much as I would love to get "off the beaten path" we will be camping in the sand flats campground and doing the more popular trails, so we would not be too far from help if need be.

If I am indeed off my rocker with this idea, could you guys direct me to a somewhat inexpensive CB setup that will "do the job". Nothing super fancy but a good value setup.

Thanks everyone.

AKRover

Adventurer
The little FRS radios will probably do most of what you want to do as long as you don't need very much range. Will you be in cell phone range? Maybe you could use cell phone for longer distance communications or when you feel long winded.

What would be the best solution in my opinion (maybe not the cheapest) is to have one person in each vehicle get their HAM license and then buy a pair of VHF and or UHF hand held radios. You could even pick these up used and get a good deal on them. Much better clarity and range over CB.

Inc

Observer
I've done the Walkie Talkie route before. It works, not great, but it does work. The closer the better for sure. For my jeep I just used a cheap cobra CB from Walmart ($30) and then a 3' Firestik antenna with a ball mount from Radioshack. Pretty cheap as far as cost goes, but it worked and still does work really great. I wired the CB to my fuse box, to the fuse that went to my rear aux plug, which is always hot so I could use the CB with the jeep off.

granitex1

Adventurer
For what you are discribing really any radio set would work, How many people have CBs, if everyone but one has one than a hand held for that person might just be the ticket.

The price of two sets of frs radios would be about the same price and then noone else has to get anything.

I have a set that gets used pretty much at the campsite, and for the kids around the neighborhood but that is about it. They are not bad for caravaning but tend to eat batteries, and once you get a cb you get a little spoiled.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
When you say Walkie-Talkie, I assume you mean GMRS/FRS as AKRover suggests and they should do the job other than in high canyons as their range is primarily line of sight. CBs are worthless in canyons. Hams are far better and more versatile for all situations.

soonenough

Explorer
I've used some Midland "10-mile" handheld walkie talkies, and they seemed to work ok with vehicle spacings up to 100 yards. Beyond that I can't say, as I didn't try it. The main limiting factor is the antennas on the walkie talkies. The metal/glass of your cab acts like a giant insulator for radio signals, and they have trouble reaching out very far when they're inside the cab. You might be able to find some sort of external antenna for them; not sure whether or not it'd be worth the extra cost.

Another thought - what about buying handheld CBs for the people in the group without CB radios? That way not everyone in the group has to buy new equipment that they ultimately won't use long-term.

CBs are worthless in canyons.
I don't think that's necessarily true. If they have a convoy of 4 vehicles, and the furthest distance from the first to the last is 100 - 150 yards, CBs would probably work just fine.

Last edited:

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
I don't think that's necessarily true. If they have a convoy of 4 vehicles, and the furthest distance from the first to the last is 100 - 150 yards, CBs would probably work just fine.

I have been around a corner in a canyon with my CB on a highway to an 18-wheeler and he can't hear me and me him. Further, the same was true in canyons in Moab area between rigs not more than 100 feet apart.

Having said that, I have also, with the same CB and 18-wheeler, chatted over 8 miles apart across the flats of Nevada's basin and range region.

All line of sight!

Rev

Adventurer
I would take it as an opportunity to wire up some basic, maybe used CB's with a cheap antenna each (my $15 whip is amazing). Then each rig is ready to go for any adventure, there is less worry about range, clearer reception, and besides, a CB could come in handy any time. I say do it right.

We may be moving out of province this year and I have decided that if we have to convoy our two vehicles out I will get a nice little, maybe used, CB for my wife's grand am and a small antenna. That way we can always communicate easily, and it is always there for any other time we may need it.

07 Elephant

Adventurer
We have a few of the motorolas and they're a nice solution. You can take them out of the vehicle for instance and that's nice when you and the wife are going to be separated. Like public restrooms etc. Last time we were out we had 5 trucks on the beach. Worked. Easy to loan out too. None of the install and all that of a cb nor the license and investment of ham.

I like the motorola stuff. Haven't used other brands. I imagine folks are happy with them though.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Hey there,

First YES the little walkie talkkies work just fine, and I think they are a great option. Important point, however, is that EVERYONE uses them. Also they DO eat right through the batteries.

Also, June is a REALLY warm time to come here. Expect to want to use your A/C while you are here, and be prepared for your vehicles to overheat.

CB... There again, everyone has them, so if there are a lot of people there (which there should not be) then you will find the channels crowded. I would not personally leave the CB set up to be powered by a HOT wire when the key is in the OFF position. The reason for that is that it is very easy to forget that the thing is ON and you might kill your jeeps battery with the CB on all night.

(you can pick up a decent enough little CB for about $20 bucks, so, that is still an option...)

Don't let these guys talk you into a Ham, if you have people who will not pay for a $30.00 CB they certainly are not going to pay to get their ham license, and then pay for a radio.

Good luck, and have a great trip!

Brian

Last edited:

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Thanks for the response guys, good find SWR, those are good lookin radios and should do well even if they get 1/35th the range they claim lol.

I think im going to push them to get a cheap CB setup, being as the only 2 guys who dont have them are interested in doing trails and such so they could easily swap it into another vehicle if need be. Im sure they wont mind more buttons and knobs in the cab anyway, we're all gadget geeks at heart lol the more buttons, lights, switches, etc. the better! It brings out the inner fighter pilot wannabe in all of us :) I also found a few reasonably priced handheld/portable CB kits that ill have them look into.

I also need a new antenna on mine, any suggestions on a good place to buy one of decent quality? My last one was a 48" fiberglass radioshack one that broke off near the base. Id like one that could mount between the hood and fender and that wouldnt stick up too far above cab height.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Note that the CB discussions above assume an external antena. Don't let your friends get a handheld CB with just a rubber ducky antenna, and try to use that for vehicle-to-vehicle communications.

An FRS handheld will outperform a CB handheld when inside a vehicle. The higher frequency radio waves penetrate the glass a lot better.

93BLAZER

Explorer
You also might want to take in consideration what types of communication equipment the other members of your group have. If they have CB's, then It would be good to have a CB. If others all have 2M capability, then having a CB would prove pointless.

So I guess go with what your group has.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

If a cheap CB set up is what you want.....here you go. It's about the cheapest and best you could find! It really does not matter which CB you buy. It's really All about the antenna.

Just $27.95!

http://www.sparkyscbshack.com/catalog/item/6231095/7657707.htm

1001Z_1.jpg

Wilson 1000.....

wilson_1000_antenna_black_and_white.jpg

I was rescued from high in the Panamint Mountains with my CB set up. Punched out through the canyon almost 20 miles away for help and got it. We communicated, because the guy on the other end had a fine antenna set up and the SWR was tuned properly.

I have also talked from a canyon in the panamints on another trip clear to Trona (about 20 miles away) like he was sitting next to me....because he had a perfectly mounted and tuned CB antenna. But I could Not hear the guys just a few hundred yards below me on the trail.

It's All about the antenna with CB Radio's. Always Tune the CB Antenna and you will be amazed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger