Wall-mounted vent fan options

echelon_john

Hi all-
We’re looking for our next van and I’d really like to go with the high roof Transit. The challenge is that our barn where it will live will only clear the roof by about 1-1/2”. Our prior van (E350 Turtle Top) had a Maxxair roof vent which worked great for drawing air in through the windows for comfortable sleeping. I’d like to do a similar approach but since a roof vent is out given the clearance issue, I’m looking for side/wall mount fans that will move some air and be quiet.

I’ve been googling, looking at some options in the marine supply world, etc but no clear solution yet. Any ideas?

Thank you,
John

NOPEC

John
I am currently building out an 8ft slide in truck Composite camper shell. During the planning stages, I considered some of these same issues around a roof vent and we decided against one. The cons to it were weight, noise, cost, air drag, clearance, an extra hole in the shell on a flat roof and potential heat loss/gain through a fairly substantial opening. Now the pros can be a biggy in that air flow is generally always important regardless of your camping situation. I get it that most of my cons are not too much of a deal but regardless, we decided to try a different route.

This is the second build utilizing Arctic Tern single louver style windows. They are just great for a number of reasons not the least of which is that you can leave them almost fully open without worrying about precip. And they are big. We have only two of the bigger windows placed very high, bilaterally (driver's/passenger sides) as close to the cabover sleeping area as our engineer allowed.

I am building "stations" (actually tiny folding shelves...) throughout the camper to which I can clamp our portable Caframo fan which has a cigarette lighter type of DC plug. Strategically placed throughout the camper, there will be a couple of Blue Sea receptacles for the fan. These little fans are pretty powerful and move a lot of air, especially in an 8 ft. camper. By simply moving the fan around, we can have outflow/inflow at the back door, exhaust through the kitchen window while cooking and best of all, cross ventilation to/from both windows, any direction, going right past (or into if needed) our sleeping area. We are a bit sensitive to the noise made by the MAAXair/Fantastic fans and as the Caframo fan is super quiet, we think it will be the ticket. But just incase, we are leaving a space on the roof, about fan size....:)

You will see in in the build thread soon.....

dstefan

https://forum.expeditionportal.com/...to-inspire-others.229680/page-44#post-3155270

Like the one in Phessor's build? I am thinking of doing the same thing so I can have more room for solar.
If you’re talking about the grey vent mounted on the front wall corner in the picture, that’s an unpowered marine vent a lot of us are using as a positive pressure vent with topper type campers. They are great, but don’t move air unless the vehicle is moving or it’s being drawn in by a fan.

Just curious in general: is there a reason a Maxxair fan couldn’t be mounted vertically with the lift lid opening facing down? I get it would stick out some.

chet6.7

Explorer
If you’re talking about the grey vent mounted on the front wall corner in the picture, that’s an unpowered marine vent a lot of us are using as a positive pressure vent with topper type campers. They are great, but don’t move air unless the vehicle is moving or it’s being drawn in by a fan.

Just curious in general: is there a reason a Maxxair fan couldn’t be mounted vertically with the lift lid opening facing down? I get it would stick out some.
Thanks, I didn't realize it was not powered.

dstefan

It looks like it should be!

You could mount a 12v computer fan on the inside cowl, but I doubt it would give enough draw or push for good ventilation. Maybe!?🤔

carterd

Maxxair makes the Maxxfan Dome model, which can mounted vertically. It is 6", single speed, exhaust only.

Attachments

• markup_17080564471752543128994573406878.jpg.png
    markup_17080564471752543128994573406878.jpg.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Get creative with a in-line duct fan, possibly exit through the floor/bottom.
Stealthy if done right.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I've seen a couple of vans with the back window replaced by a MaxxFan. Didn't talk to owner to see how it worked. I would e-mail MaxxFan and ask.

. . . I am thinking of doing the same thing so I can have more room for solar . . .
I met a guy that removed the cover of his ceiling fan and installed a raised solar panel over it. Claimed no water intrusion.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Seems decent enough.
And could easily upgrade the fans as needed. (y)

www.amazon.com/Camrusic-Ventilation-Exhaust-Motorhome-Caravan/dp/B0BRW82WTY

71hZ+ULWcKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist

It works great. I have a Maxxair mounted vertically in the back window opening of my 2010 Savana. No issues. Previously had a fantastic fan in the same location until the threads on the opener stripped out.

IMG_20200726_164041946_HDR.jpg
Maxxair makes the Maxxfan Dome model, which can mounted vertically. It is 6", single speed, exhaust only.
Those are garbage. Don't bother. I have one in my new truck camper build it's extremely loud and doesn't move hardly any air. I wish I would not have cut the opening to install it.

dstefan

It works great. I have a Maxxair mounted vertically in the back window opening of my 2010 Savana. No issues. Previously had a fantastic fan in the same location until the threads on the opener stripped out.

View attachment 820681

Those are garbage. Don't bother. I have one in my new truck camper build it's extremely loud and doesn't move hardly any air. I wish I would not have cut the opening to install it.
Good to know on both counts. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998