Want to buy a Land Rover/ Range Rover

Humvette

Adventurer
Guys,
As you can read in my signature i have several vehicles and i do 97% of the work on them myself. I am looking for a car for the wife. It will never see more than asfault in a state park. I have the H1 for offroading and the F250 for more basic overlanding type stuff. My wife and i just love the look and ride of these vehicle. This is not a choice of could i afford it, its a case of do i want to. We live in Houston and we want a smaller SUV. My wife drives maybe 6k miles a year. I want to buy it for her in Dec as a surprise. Oh and i live 0.65 of a mile from a Land Rover Dealership LOL. I bought my H1 from that dealership.

vehicles
- 2011 LR4 loaded out
- 2011 RRS loaded out

How do the CPU LR's work?

Estimated real world MPG?

When do the LR5's come out?

If I did not get her an LR what should we look at?

What other questions should i ask?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
With that low of mileage per year, buy a new LR4 and keep it for 2-3 years, then sell it. They do not depreciate much comparatively. For example, 2011's with miles in the 40's are still selling in the low 40s. Thats only ~$10k of depreciation for over 40,000 miles driven... and you get the full new car warranty, 15k service free of charge, etc

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The LR4 may not constitute a "smaller SUV", though they drive like one, with great visibility and a phenomenal turning radius. However, have you considered the Evoque? that is a small urban SUV, that is really nice on the inside, and not bad looking on the outside. Women seem to love them. The LR3 was out for about 6 years before the LR4 came along. I think it will be another 4 years or longer until the next generation LR4 (or whatever they will call it) comes out. The full size Range Rover was just issued this year, I expect a new Sport (based on the LR4) in the next year or so. I really like the Sport also, it fits the bill between the LR4 and Evoque in terms of size, though it is based on the LR3/4 platform. VERY nice interior. Excellent driving vehicle, and very capable too.

You didn't mention kids. If there are no kids in the equation, the Sport is a good choice. If you have kids, definitely go with the LR4

R-Overland

Adventurer
The Evoque is nice and small and it's surprisingly good off road. But as you have said It would never see that in it's life. It makes a nice city car, too.

Humvette

Adventurer
Evoque is not an option. I am not a huge fan of how they look and she hates how they look. An LR4 is a tiny SUV by Houston Tx standards and my driveway LOL. Having it between an H1 on 42's and an F250 :)

I guess the real battle is that we like the practicality of the LR4 for kids but like the look of the RRS more :( .

I am pretty sure it will be the LR4. That way i could overland with it a little better ;) hehe. Not that the RRS could not, just different.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
LR4 is definitely not a smaller SUV. If you don't like the Evoque, try the LR2. Good MPG for a LR, comfortable but not too fancy, great for light off-road. Recent models just had a refresh too.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I think it will be another 4 years or longer until the next generation LR4 (or whatever they will call it) comes out. The full size Range Rover was just issued this year, I expect a new Sport (based on the LR4) in the next year or so.

New Sport has already been launched and delivery is imminent. Based on the new Range Rover architecture, all aluminum. No longer shares a platform with LR4.

Next Discovery will probably be much sooner than anticipated. Perhaps 2015 model year (2014 LR4 details have not even been announced yet, deliveries expected late fall)

Humvette

Adventurer
Does anyone know where i can find out detail changes per year of the LR4 and RRS?

I have read this info about older defenders.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I dont know of an official source but I can guide you through it.
LR4
2010: LR4 introduced. Features 5.0 direct injection V8, 375hp. All new interior. Much revised electrical architecture, suspension, braking system. base, HSE, HSE plus, and Luxury packages offered. Each with different levels of luxury features and creature comforts.
2011: No significant changes.
2012: Touch screen interface updated with better graphics and simplified controls. Bluetooth streaming audio added. HSE plus package dropped.
2013: Extended leather package available as an upgrade to Luxury package. No other significant changes.

Sport
2006: Range Rover Sport introduced. 4.4 Naturally Aspirated 300hp and 4.2 Supercharged 390hp engines.
2007-2009: No significant changes
2010: Second generation Sport launched. 5.0 Naturally aspirated 375hp and 5.0 Supercharged 510hp engines. Revised interior, electronics, suspension, braking systems.
2011: No significant changes
2012: Split hatch dropped in favor of single full power liftgate. Bluetooth streaming audio added standard. Touch screen interface much improved.
2013: No significant changes
2014: All-new Range Rover Sport will feature all new aluminum architecture and design based on the 2013 Range Rover

Humvette

Adventurer
what engines did the RR use?
What is the difference between the RR and RRS? for 2010 and 2011?

I mean if i am looking at a RR might as well get the king bee :)

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Range Rover and Range Rover Sport are completely different vehicles. They share the same 375hp and 510hp engine choices in years 2010+
Range Rover=Mercedes S-Class
Sport=BMW 550

REDROVER

Explorer
Mark u r looking to by a land rover ? lmaoo ask Eric ward he will tell u the difference in model years and why not to buy one haha

Humvette

Adventurer
Went to go look this weekend but the dealership was not open on Sunday (as expected) so we just walked around the lot looking at all the pretty Land Rovers

Wife call: No LR4 so that answers that lol

But now i am wondering about a 2010 RRS vs 2010 RR their price does not appear to be too different.

What could i assume:
- RR will be more expensive to maintain?
- RR less reliable than RRS?

I just have no idea guys :)

Is there a certain year of either the RR or RRS i should look at?

The way i figure is that the new RR came out this year so the older RR value has already sean a hit? Where the current RRS will not take a hit till next year so the RR should be the better value.

What should i assume reg maintenance costs should be?
- brakes f/r?
- oil change?
- windshield?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Reliability and maintenance costs between the Range Rover and Sport will be about the same. With either vehicle, 2010+ is the best way to go. As I stated earlier though, they are very different vehicles. You won't know which is right for you until you drive each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78