Want to double check a few things and say hello!

earljuic3

Adventurer
Hello All,

I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now and really enjoy it so I finally registered this AM.

I have an 02' Limited I have just started ordering parts for my "build" and I want to clarify a few things with you gentleman.

I have ordered OME 2'' Heavy Duty front and rear. I am getting ready to order wheels and tires and just want to see if I have all my ducks in a row.

I am looking at 16x8 - 6x5.5 Method Wheels and 285/75/R16 Nitto's <- Any input on this being the right/wrong size or look is welcome...is there anything I am going to need to do or anticipate for when changing out the suspension other than cranking the torsion bars and getting an alignment? Also is it correct that the 33'' spare I'm going to end up with isn't going to fit on the rear door without modifying the mount? I have seen some back on forth on this on the different forums.

I also have a question about exhaust...what kind of setup are you guys running? Right now I have the factory mufflers removed and a flowmaster under the drivers side passenger seat. I also have all three stock cats but I really don't like the way it sounds....to the point I am considering going back to a "stock" setup. Any advice/ideas on this?

Done So Far:
New Front Rotors and Calipers
New Rear Lower Control Arms
New Plugs and Wires
New Timing Belt at 95k
New Valve Cover Gaskets
New 4WD Sensors
New ABS Accumulator
Bled/Flushed Entire Brake System
New Trans Fluids
Loc-Tite Set Screws on Sunroof
4 Way Alignment
New Coil Packs

Plan To Do:
OME Lift
New Wheels/Tires
THULE MOAB Basket
ARB bumper and Warn Winch
LED Headlight Conversion
Keep you posted...this list is going to break the bank for a while LOL.

Looking forward to being a part of the community...thanks in advance for the help/answers and I will post pics once I finally get a day off to give her a bath!

Cheers

jhill15

Explorer
Hey man welcome, looking forward to seeing some pics of your rig. I have done an led conversion on my headlights with heliosoptix high power cree leds and couldnt be happier. Also I have swapped out most all my lights with leds, its a cheap conversion that is definitely worth it the little bit of cash put into it.

Everything sounds good for your plans and the only thing I can think of is that the 3rd gens sit on a unibody instead of a frame so there isnt any torsion bars. The 2" ome coils and shocks should be the only thing you will need to lift it. Im not sure if 33's will fit the spare carrier but if not I have heard of people having to raise the spare tire carrier to fit larger tires. I still have a stock muffler and am thinking of swapping it out with a more low profile muffler cause the last time I took my rig wheeling I put dings all in it.

Hope any of this helps

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
Welcome to the forum. As mentioned, your ome kit will consist of 2 struts, 2 shocks and 4 coils. The gen 3 doesnt have torsion bars. With that kit installed you'll fit the 33s no problem. Be ready for a rough ride though, unless you are heavy and/or towing, the HD kit will be stiff.

earljuic3

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies! MonteroLTD - I am planning on getting the ARB front bumper and I do a fair amount of trailer towing. Thats why I was thinking the HD setup..think I should lean more towards the medium?

libarata

Expedition Leader
Welcome! I am sending you a group invite to the VA group. There are a few of us in your area. Drop in and say hi!

montypower

Adventure Time!
Spare won't fit on the back door if the actual size measures 33" diameter without modification. Mine measures 33.5". I can barely close the rear door with the top plastic removed from the bumper. I'll be doing a custom bumper in the near future. Also, the factory wheels are hub centric those wheels are not designed for the Montero hub size. You should really keep the factory wheels and do custom wheel spacers to retain the factory hub centric mounting. These guys will make them for you (any specs you want) http://www.motorsport-tech.com/

Tires will fit the same lifted or stock height as you are not changing the suspension travel range. I ran my 33.5" on the stock springs no rubbing (mine are skinny).

I'm running the factory exhaust. I like it quiet but may replace the main muffler with something a bit smaller (better clearance) as I've dented it slightly on the trails.

I replaced my headlights with factory OEM new ones and some bright SilverStar bulbs. They are fantastic. Probably the best factory lights I've ever had on any of the 50 vehicles I've owned. The plastic lenses are junk after 8-10 years of UV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78