WANTED 4x4 class c motorhome to sleep 4. HELP!

loicdk

Like finding a needle in a haystack.... this one is a hard one to find.
Looking for a 4x4 Class C (or B) RV. Used preferably. - Big for an expedition vehicle - but small for an RV. (around 23 - 26 ft max)

Budget: 100 000$ Max

Must Haves:
- sleeps 4 (2 adults and 2 children) Beds must be permanent. We don't want to undo the table to set up the beds.
- 4 seated while driving.
- kitchen, shower, table.

Nice to Haves:
- diesel
- a minimum of room. My wife and I alone would have simply taken our tacoma with campershell. But for a 24 months and more trip with 2 kids doing their schooling We are looking for a bigger and roomier alternative.
- invisibility cloak (discreet?) OK OK I'm dreaming I know.
- We also accept donations for the 300 000$ we would need for a Real Expedition Vehicle fiting this bill....)

We are planning a Central and South america trip for 24 months. Departure: sept 2014. And if the vehicle fits and the kids survive us ... to continue to Europe and Asia. And finish off in Africa.

If you don't have the RV we need for sale .... Any info, suggestions or ideas would be great.

Live Love Laugh

BillTex

Adventurer
1 ton (or larger) truck and truck camper. < $100k

Forget B or C.

Truck can be serviced anywhere.

Truck or camper can be replaced easily in the future.

That was easy...

Bill

catmandu

Observer
Tiger on Dodge Chasis

While it may be a tad small there just happens to be a needle in the haystack fitting your needs. There is a gray Tiger Provan on a dodge chassis for sale at $100k. I originally saw it on Craigslist but I thought I saw a link in the for sale section here. It is a four seater which is what you are after. There are a few folks who have been to South America in their Tigers and you can likely contact them to discuss the positives and negatives of the platform.

java

Expedition Leader
While it may be a tad small there just happens to be a needle in the haystack fitting your needs. There is a gray Tiger Provan on a dodge chassis for sale at $100k. I originally saw it on Craigslist but I thought I saw a link in the for sale section here. It is a four seater which is what you are after. There are a few folks who have been to South America in their Tigers and you can likely contact them to discuss the positives and negatives of the platform.

I saw that on CL last month, cant seem to find it now, but yeah i thought that one was ideal also!

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
There are a few folks who have been to South America in their Tigers and you can likely contact them to discuss the positives and negatives of the platform.
Whiteacorn is one: LINK. They are now using a Unimog U500 and GXV.
BTW OP - I don't know if you have seen this thread HERE but there is a lot of good information there.

Last edited:

GNTY

Adventurer
I to am in Canada and know the difficulties in trying to import certain rigs, especially being newer than 15 years and being modified with 4wd or even non-RIV compliant. I'm currently installing a Ujoint 4x4 kit on my Bigfoot Class C, my family outgrew our 4x4 sportsmobile.
No factory built family class c is built offroad ready or tough enough but there are certainly some build stronger and better than others. There are other routes (vehicles) but if you want the go Class C then I'd recommend a Canadian made Bigfoot 24' class c with no slides and add the 4wd. Bigfoots are a true four season, with heated and sealed holding tanks, dual pane windows and roof, walls and floors are all 2" foam injected with an aluminum framing. Very solid units that can withstand more flexing and rough roads than traditional stick framed motorhomes. Your budget certainly is within range to build or buy a comfortable, capable rig for your Central and south america trip.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Here is what you want !

(not mine, but on local Craigslist, pictures on original ad)

1996 Winnebago Minni 300 4X4 - $18000 (apache junction)

Ad is at: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/4251559697.html

Posted: 3 days ago

Ford 460 auto w/overdrive, 4X4 Onan Generator, AC, microwave, stove with oven, tinted windows, day night shades, power step, awning, rear bath, good size refrigerator/freezer, ample storage tow package, recent off road tires, wheels & coach battery excellent condition 34xxx miles must see.call George 480-570-9552
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 4251559697

posted: 3 days ago

updated: 6 hours ago

email to friend

&#9829; best of

Joe917

Explorer
You will find none of these vehicles with the 4x4 conversion can be imported to Canada including the Bigfoot. Even an aftermarket suspension lift is enough to refuse importation. To be imported the vehicle must be over 15 years old or be on the Transport Canada list AND be UNMODIFIED from original, ie no 4x4 conversions. That is what forced me to buy in Europe, there is a huge pool of world expedition vehicles over 15 years old.

GNTY

Adventurer
You will find none of these vehicles with the 4x4 conversion can be imported to Canada including the Bigfoot. Even an aftermarket suspension lift is enough to refuse importation. To be imported the vehicle must be over 15 years old or be on the Transport Canada list AND be UNMODIFIED from original, ie no 4x4 conversions. That is what forced me to buy in Europe, there is a huge pool of world expedition vehicles over 15 years old.

This is partly true, but not entirely. Yes the 07 bigfoot is NOT admissible to Canada, but that 1996 winni is, even with the 4x4 modification. Anything older than 15 years to the build date month modified or unmodified is admissible to Canada. Vehicles older than 15 years do not go through the RIV government program and are not under the same requirements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12