Wanted:Basic recovery gear info.

hovenator

Explorer
I currently have just a HiLift jack and a couple of cheap recovery straps. In the future a portable winch will get entered into service. What is the basic gear I should consider on purchasing. Brand names and possible places to buy the gear would also be helpful. I was thinking of purchasing the HiLift accessory kit and some Black Rat or ARB straps (snatch, tow and tree saver) plus some D-ring shackles and a snatch block.

Thanks.

Rexsname

Explorer
I think your plan sounds good. I have never been able to match up the money and oppertunity to get the Hi-lift kit so I've made do by picking items up a little at a time. A winch is also on my long term list.

REX

wagner_joe

Adventurer
x2:iagree:

The BlackRat kit is a very good complete starter kit. Some extra shakles, a HD Snatch block, Xjax (forget the Hilift) much safer.. and a few other goodies and you're good to go. Just make sure you're watching your ratings for winch line, blocks and shakles....

rickc

Adventurer
Another good source:
http://www.4by4connection.com/receq.html

Read! not all straps are equal. HiLifts are very dangerous. Read as much as you can about recovery so you are better prepared to buy the stuff you will really need and then when you have your gear go out with a friend and practice.

Are you considering a single, removable winch for front/back? If so, you will need to run extra power lines in both directions and maybe beef-up your power delivery; alternator/battery set-up.

Don't get cheaper stuff as a starter. Get the best stuff you can afford and maintain it well then it will not let you down.

Did I say read?

soonenough

Explorer
Here's a good page if you want information on recovery equipment and techniques, although there's not much as far as brand comparisons or recommendations - linky

GTABurnout

Explorer
x2:iagree:

The BlackRat kit is a very good complete starter kit. Some extra shakles, a HD Snatch block, Xjax (forget the Hilift) much safer.. and a few other goodies and you're good to go. Just make sure you're watching your ratings for winch line, blocks and shakles....

I searched but can't find any thing, so whats a Xjax?

hovenator

Explorer
This is all great info....Yes, I am planning on a winch to be used front and rear with power disconnects at both locations. Are there any brands of gear to stay away from?

rickc

Adventurer
If you read around this site you will find some threads about winches. I believe that with safety gear it's best to save your pennies and get the good stuff. More importantly, whatever you get, maintain it! Lots of winches fail when required because they are rusted/mudded-up. They are all prone to damage if not properly sealed/vented and cleaned after use.

New ones usually come with a steel line. You may want to consider going with a poly rope as these are much safer.

If you can get hold of last month's Australian 4WD Action there is a great winch comparison. The "Premier DV9000" came out on top with the WARN 9.5XP in second place. I can't find the "Premier" so I'm guessing that it is an Aussie product.

Be aware that these things are extraordinarily heavy. If you have a big truck, carrying a big winch from front to back is not an easy thing to do especially on a muddy hill.

emmodg

Adventurer
I teach recovery for the US Military and if there's ONE piece of equipment that will flat-out hurt you in a heartbeat it's the HiLift! I've seen guys slapped in the head with a HiLift numerous times! Thank God they were wearing Kevlar. If you get one, (and they are very handy), pleeeeeeease read all you can about them! There's plenty of info on the web from all sorts of sources! (These days everyone and his brother is an expert on recovery so choose your sources wisely...)

4X4 connection is a great place to pick up recovery gear. Get yourself a good recovery strap, (they are useful for both static AND dynamic recoveries), 3 or so 3/4 or 7/8" d-shackles, some good leather gloves and Jim Allen's "4-Wheeler's Bible".

Drive with guys better than you at both driving AND recovery. It's one of the best ways to learn!

luk4mud

Explorer
Rachet strap

Toss one in your tool or recovery bag. I find a bunch of different uses for it, the main one being to re-seat a tire.

Here's what is in my recovery bag/ set (not counting my tool/ spare parts bag, first aid kit and emergency kit):
Hi-Lift
Wood blocks (lots of uses)
Thick gloves
Winch controller
Superwinch epi 9000 with synthetic line and safety thimble
4 shackles, various sizes
Tree saver
40' Amsteel Blue 20k lb line (doubles as a tow strap and extension for my winch)
Snatch block

I have used all of this gear many times, even on trips where I thought there was NO need for it. As much as everyone seems to talk about getting/ being well equipped, the reality I find is that most people are not, and I end up using my gear mostly to help others. I'm not complaining and like to help, but the message here is don't expect others in your group to have it covered- make sure you got it yourself.

Rupe

Adventurer
I got the Hi lift kit and it is something that can come in very handy when needed, it is like so many recovery things. You may never need them or use then but it's better to have it then not. I have shove, axe, hatch,approx. 100 ft. 5/8 rope, hi lift with kit, 3" x 30' strap, 2" x 30' strap, tools, tarps . And a bunch of other stuff that I can't think of at the moment.

The shovel, Axe , 3" x 30' strap, and the hi lift w/kit I would say are most important recovery items to have in my opinion.

rupe

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Before you purchase anything, at very minimum, purchase something like this. Getting UNstuck. It doesn't match in-person instruction and experience, but it will at least get you started on how to use what you may buy.

Layonnn

Adventurer
xjax= X-jack by bushranger. It is an air jack that uses your exhaust to inflate a thick bag to lift a side or corner of the vehicle. Considered by some to be safer than a hi-lift jack. It excels at lifting in soft terrain such as mud or sand. It's nemesis would be sharp, rocky terrain though (even with protecting pads)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior