Wanted: BMW Dakar F650GS

thecriw

I am on the hunt for a BMW Dakar F650GS 2000-07. Must be in near mint condition, proper documented preventative maintenance. Anywhere in North America ok, will travel for the right bike. Must be low miles and very very clean.

Also will trade if someone is interested in a 2004 Subaru Forester "XT" 5 speed with WXR OEM turbo'd inter-cooled engine in near mint condition. Previous owner was a Subaru mechanic and car is amazing condition. 168k kms.

Will take cash plus the right bike and give you a good value for your clean bike. Car is valued @ $14K.

PM if interested.

Cheers

Northernstar

Observer
Dakar F650GS

I have an 01 Dakar with about 6000mi and is bone stock with brand new TK 80's front & rear, new battery and just recent full service done by A&S of Sacramento. The bike is up here in Alaska though, might be too far for you. Send me your email and I can send you pictures.
Thanks,
Frank

trainman

I'm looking for a Dakar F650GS myself, just can't find one down in the DFW area. I to want a near perfect one myself, but none available like that at this time. I saw one on ADV Rider, but it was in Scottsdale, AZ. and I wasn't willing to travel that far for a bike, I think it is now sold. With the price being so high on used ones at this time, I probably will just wait for the new 2012 BMW Sertao 650GS that should be at dealers soon, with a list price of $8695 and a three year warranty probably the better buy with Dakar prices being up too high for what you are getting. Good luck, hope you find one.

John

KTM_pilot

... I probably will just wait for the new 2012 BMW Sertao 650GS that should be at dealers soon, with a list price of $8695 and a three year warranty probably the better buy ...

John

Yes, the new bikes must be a better buy, because they have a lot more Chinese parts.

Never mind that some of those parts might fail catastrophically ( see the BMW front fork
failure thread on ADVrider ), the price is all that matters.

Ahh, mediocrity.

Those who embrace it deserve it.

If you might guess that I am hinting that the older bikes are a far better choice,
you are correct. And no, I don't have one for sale, I am just sick of the culture of mediocrity
which places price above all else.

Last edited:

NothingClever

Explorer
Hi OP,

F650GS Dakar?

I used to own one of those and rode LD on the slab and took it on tough, singletrack and doubeltrack trail (i.e, Devil's Punchbowl). I spent a ton of money hanging bits and bobs on it trying to make it the bike it was advertised to be.

After doing all my own maintenance, I came to the conclusion that Marketing degrees are prized more than Engineering degrees at BMW these days.

In the end, I gave up and just bought another bike which was truly designed / engineered / manufactured to do exactly what the brochures claimed it would do.

Not trying to rain on your parade....just seems like you're awfully fixated on one specific bike and having been down that road, I thought you might take advantage of my experience.

Best of luck with the hunt and I hope what you're after hits the spot.

Happy trails!

KTM_pilot

Hi OP,

F650GS Dakar?

I used to own one of those and rode LD on the slab and took it on tough, singletrack and doubeltrack trail (i.e, Devil's Punchbowl). I spent a ton of money hanging bits and bobs on it trying to make it the bike it was advertised to be.

After doing all my own maintenance, I came to the conclusion that Marketing degrees are prized more than Engineering degrees at BMW these days.

In the end, I gave up and just bought another bike which was truly designed / engineered / manufactured to do exactly what the brochures claimed it would do.

Not trying to rain on your parade....just seems like you're awfully fixated on one specific bike and having been down that road, I thought you might take advantage of my experience.

Best of luck with the hunt and I hope what you're after hits the spot.

Happy trails!

Nice post, and spot on relative to BMWs which are being sold these days.

So, which KTM did you buy ?

NothingClever

Explorer
Nice post, and spot on relative to BMWs which are being sold these days.

So, which KTM did you buy ?

I'm busted.......

2006 KTM 950 Adv (with carbs). I was simply amazed at how differently it rode over Engineer Pass down to Ouray the second summer I went back to Colorado. The first year was unloaded with an F650 GS Dakar with a ton of suspension work, etc, etc, etc. The second year was on a KTM fully loaded with camping gear and, uhhh, my wife on the back. Despite all the weight, the KTM handled Engineer Pass like a champ. Also, we took the hard way down from Animas Fork. So, yes, I can soundly say that BMW is, FOR ME, a brand more about marketing than performance. I also prefer working on my KTM....once I peeled the shiny plastic off the Dakar, I started finding all kinds of cheap parts made in former Eastern Bloc countries who're still struggling to make their way into the EU. The KTM? All Austrian and Italian (who have SURPASSED German engineering and quality control in motorcycles, IMO).

Wow....talk about a hi-jack from Hades.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
For op theres a dakar for 4900 in phoenix. Probably not exactly what youre looking for but thought id try. Also if the guy from DFW is still watching this thread I live in AZ during the year then come home for the summer. If you find a bike you want Id be more than happy to trailer it back for you

thecriw

Bought an XR650 1999 near mint with low kms, love it but now looking to sell as I need a off road trailer to camp with kids. Will buy my Dakar at a later date. wanting $3900 for the XR or built small off road trailer on trade?

Best everyone.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12