Wanted: Operations Manger for Overland Rentals in Denver

ThundahBeagle

Sounds like a fun job that I would hate after the first day.

Lost me at: Take shifts of being on-call 24/7 for customer support so obviously not a 40/hr a week job. and there are issues legally having a non manager position being on call - ie: need to pay the hourly person for that on call time in most states.
Well, this IS an ops Manager position, albeit in name only... And they would just have to be very specific in documenting and switching out on-call time for in-shop time, as working over 40 hrs per week without overtime pay is a violation of FLSA for laborers, which this job really is. Payroll would have to be spot on, yet, I'm getting the feeling that if the payroll person is also the advertising exec, that person may burn out and payroll AND advertising may soon fall on this new Operations Manager as well, creating a cascading effect.

I do like the idea of being allowed to use the trucks and campers, though, if there was time to do that

b-dog

Some commenters have obviously never worked at a small company before....

I've worked trade shows, taken tech support phone calls, machined parts, welded, assembled, painted, and even swept the floor - all while working as an engineer, at multiple small companies.

Being in Denver, I'm guessing applicants will be few and far between and/or retention will be difficult at that pay. Read: stepping stone. Furthermore, in about a week (2024), the Colorado minimum non-exempt salary will be $55k.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I agree, this isn’t a true management job for that comp. They’re combining two rolls into one, for the price of low skilled labor. It doesn’t look miserable, just confused rolls and expectations for a “manager” position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
when it's a small company, you gotta wear more than one hat.

If I were looking, I'd wanna know how long they have been in business, before I spent time going to an interview.

Manager most likely means salary and take a pillow to the shop along with a hotplate because you're going to live there.

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

I've worked trade shows, taken tech support phone calls, machined parts, welded, assembled, painted, and even swept the floor - all while working as an engineer, at multiple small companies.

Being in Denver, I'm guessing applicants will be few and far between and/or retention will be difficult at that pay. Read: stepping stone. Furthermore, in about a week (2024), the Colorado minimum non-exempt salary will be $55k.

While I understand you did not mention me, I do just want to add fwiw: I'm in my mid-50's. I've worked for big companies, mom and pop shops, municipalities, union, and non-union and the smallest business I know - my own, where I was a one-man show and I can tell you this: That does not change any of my statements, they are all true.

If you did all of that while working as an engineer, I doff my cap to you, sir, but I "wager" you made a pretty penny. If not, I bet you weren't there long.

Is this s stepping stone? Sure. For a kid whose got it together. Anyone who can do all of that would be looking for higher wages, I would think, as this will only be about minimum wage

gatorgrizz27

when it's a small company, you gotta wear more than one hat.

If I were looking, I'd wanna know how long they have been in business, before I spent time going to an interview.

Manager most likely means salary and take a pillow to the shop along with a hotplate because you're going to live there.

First half of what I was going to say, which is why it’s hard to have a small business these day, particularly with the younger generation.

Somebody could be hired as a customer service rep/email person and both owners and the manager and running balls to the walls due to 1 customer running late and 1 arriving early, throwing the carefully planned schedule off. Customer service rep is asked if they can vac the floor mats on a vehicle and gas it up, and is met with eye rolling and whining that it’s “not part of their job.”

It’s hard to tell how much time would be required on an average day, with 13 vehicles, if they are rented on 2-3 day trips and at capacity, thst would be pretty dang chaotic. However, if the average day is answering 2 phone calls, 3 emails, prepping one vehicle to go out for a week long trip, accepting one return, and changing out a broken taillight on a trailer, that’s not overly demanding IMO.

It can be tough for smaller outfits that are growing rapidly to match what larger corporations can offer pay wise. However, it is often made up for in terms of flexibility, general care about the people that work for them, and advancement down the road for those that stick with it.

All that being said, it does sort of read like the owners are wanting to check out or potentially sell the business down the road, and are looking for a “do it all” person rather than “growing their team”.

IMO, the description is looking for an “intrapreneur” which is someone who cares about and treats the business like their own. If the stated salary is what can be offered currently, I’d consider an equity/profit sharing model to retain the right person, and hire a part time hourly person to handle the cleaning portion of things.

zimm

Expedition Leader
One puts up a job description of the "ideal candidate" and sees what shows up, but, you really don't wanna overdo it so it sounds like a guy that has the skillset to run his own business but you want him for entry wages. It all seems a bit much and not really management.

On the other hand, If the job description was written in such a way that it had employee oversight, scheduling, customer billing and interaction, etc as primary duties and requested levels of familiarity with all of theses skillsets so as to be sure the employees are doing their jobs correctly, and that was actually the goal, well, maybe someone does want a retirement job like that. In that case it would be more a service managers position, but a personable, responsible, public facing mechanic on partial commission is a six figure job around here, and we have a looooow cost of living.

gabrielef

Looks like they cross pollenated the job description of an hourly employee with an exempt employee with an executive employee. If they get that person at that price I may try to steal em for my Colorado company!

Good luck!

Haha, best comment. 100%

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well, poor Tac guy got his post wrecked here. No idea where some of this insight comes from but much of it could be on the button.

I'm not quarterbacking this with limited information based on speculation, but it is clear the owner has high hopes or needs business development assistance.

My suggestion would be to delete this thread and start again, list four of the most important aspects from his job description wish list, simply state that salary will be commensurate with experience and responsibilities.

Additionally, the job description can be presented in broader terms, "experience in retail public relations" knocks out a paragraph of unnecessary details. "Service Manager" for a "hands on maintenance" "small fleet" and "supervision of personnel", pretty much everything without having to explain sweeping the floor.

Give a mission statement that tells us who this company is and expected growth in the industry. Giving financial clues about your business, or stated in your goals, indicates the size of the company, potential salaries expected, industry position as well as maturity of the company. Such clues might be; "with assets of over", "with projected sales of", "increased earnings per share" "having increased equity by %".

10 to 1 hiring this manager isn't the answer to the problems of growing his company. It may give hi time off and it could lead to bailing out all together, your second in command is always a good candidate to be a future buyer.

ThundahBeagle

Nothing says, “I don’t value my employees” more than this post. Sorry, hate to say it, but it needs to be said. This role needs to be renamed to Overland Intern, and they’d be good to go.

And could probably get an intern at an even lower rate!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman