WANTED- Sat phone

guy816

Looking for a sat phone to take along to some remote trekking adventures.
Only planning to use it in case of extreme emergencies (and to keep the women happy:ylsmoke:)- so I'll be happy to get an older model as long as its working.

Let me know if you got one and you're willing to part with it!

Last edited:

Chaos

Observer
Have you seen the new Spot Connect, it will link up with an Iphone you can send text messages without cell phone service or update your facebook status ;), might be a good alternative to a Sat Phone if you don't specifically need to talk to anyone.

Cody1771

Explorer
the new spot connect is the shizznit. but if you want a sat phone google Telsat, they have the best worldwide coverage and have "reasonable" plans... for a sat phone that is.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
DSC_0048.JPGDSC_0046.JPGDSC_0047.JPG

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Have you thought of just renting a phone for your trip ? There are plenty of companies that rent phones. Stay away from the Qualcomm phones they don't work anymore.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
WOW, I haven't had this phone active in a while and it seems things have changed. While I did have some problems in the past getting a phone call to go through, I never couldn't make a call, just had to wait for a bit or find a bigger hill. I just spoke with All Road Sat and they say that Qualcomm only has 4 out of 38 satellites working and only 5 minutes out of every hour is hot. Based on this I would hesitate to suggest this as a viable means of emergecny communication. They suggested Inmarsat, works most places except the Poles. While I haven't been in the market for while, seems like one should do their homework.

guy816

Wow- Thank you guy's!

I've been researching this subject for the past few days and never came across this valuable info regarding the Qualcomm phones.

So- If anyone would like to sell a satellite phone other than the Qualcomm GSP1600, please do let me know :)

I must say- this forum is really awesome!!

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Just to make it clear, the Qualcomm system appears to be compromised so I would stay away from any of their phones. I believe that leaves Iridium and Inmarsat but I haven't fully researched it. Good luck!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Yes the Globastar system has been out of service for a few years. I would suggest comparing the rates plans and coverage between the Iridium and Inmarsat. I know with the Iridium you can buy a prepaid service so you don't have to commmit to a monthly plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears