Wanted steinbauer chip 06 fuso

boostin

Adventurer
I'm looking to buy one of these chips . I contacted the Canadian distributor and they said it is six months away I was wondering if anyone has any leads had to get one sooner ?

westyss

Explorer
Try contacting Alan via PM. Believe he's sent one to Canada for an 07 fuso

yup, I got it from Alan and was pretty quick to get to Canada, works well, most notably for torque, although you will pay a price in fuel economy. I installed the switch to turn it off but mostly just leave it on, makes it much easier to drive with it on as down shifting will be reduced.

Funny they said it was six months away two years ago.......

boostin

Adventurer
yup, I got it from Alan and was pretty quick to get to Canada, works well, most notably for torque, although you will pay a price in fuel economy. I installed the switch to turn it off but mostly just leave it on, makes it much easier to drive with it on as down shifting will be reduced.

Funny they said it was six months away two years ago.......

Awesome thanks, how would you say it effected economy¿ I really dint want it any worse lol

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
What do the chips go for? It's an add-on that intercepts and modifies the injector pulse?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
It's an add-on that intercepts and modifies the injector pulse?
That's correct. The Steinbauer does not increase the rail pressure, as many of the other power chips do.
I have heard many arguments for both systems; increasing rail pressure and modifying the injector pulse timing. Having a background in hydraulics I have trouble believing the spiel that increasing the rail pressure does not affect engine wear or longevity.
The other issue, that is rarely ever mentioned, is that on newer common rail diesel engines there is more than one injection pulse. There can be two (or more) pre and post pulses as well as the main pulse. When increasing the rail pressure all of these pulses deliver more fuel, which is not ideal. The Steinbauer chip can detect the mail pulse and only extends the duration of that pulse.
The argument the companies that do increased rail pressure chips put forward against changing the pulse duration is that you are injecting fuel later in the power stroke. On a race engine that spins at 15,000 RPM I could be convinced that this might be an issue, but my 4M50 engine tops out at 2900 RPM. Also, we are talking about extending the pulse duration in micro seconds, not ever milli seconds. To me it is not a very sound argument.

What do the chips go for?
In Australia the Steinbauer power chip has a RRP of $1568. Here is a link to the specific web page...

objet

That's correct. The Steinbauer does not increase the rail pressure, as many of the other power chips do.
I have heard many arguments for both systems; increasing rail pressure and modifying the injector pulse timing. Having a background in hydraulics I have trouble believing the spiel that increasing the rail pressure does not affect engine wear or longevity.
The other issue, that is rarely ever mentioned, is that on newer common rail diesel engines there is more than one injection pulse. There can be two (or more) pre and post pulses as well as the main pulse. When increasing the rail pressure all of these pulses deliver more fuel, which is not ideal. The Steinbauer chip can detect the mail pulse and only extends the duration of that pulse.
The argument the companies that do increased rail pressure chips put forward against changing the pulse duration is that you are injecting fuel later in the power stroke. On a race engine that spins at 15,000 RPM I could be convinced that this might be an issue, but my 4M50 engine tops out at 2900 RPM. Also, we are talking about extending the pulse duration in micro seconds, not ever milli seconds. To me it is not a very sound argument.

In Australia the Steinbauer power chip has a RRP of $1568. Here is a link to the specific web page...
That's Austria. Try getting one for less than $1900 Australian dollars including GST.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Try getting one for less than $1900 Australian dollars including GST.
I don't know where you are looking.
As has been mentioned here, contact Alan if you are interested in getting one of these Steinbauer chips, as he is a distributor and has a very good history of looking after Expo members.

What makes the mod so expensive?
As far as I know... nothing.
Prices for power chips in this country seem to be based on the "what the market will bare" logic.
As you would know, the electronic components in one of these devices would not cost that much. I guess that you are simply paying for the logic that has been programmed into the micro.

objet

Oh bugger, bought one from Denco for $1933.

If it works well, will get two more though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Amesz00

Adventurer
Is the steinbauer adjustable/tuneable at all? Ie can you turn it up for more boost/faster spool or is it just plug in as is?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Is the steinbauer adjustable/tuneable at all?

It does have a trim pot but it is a little unclear exactly what it does. From memory, the doco says it is for fine adjustments if the engine is running rough.
Not having access to a dyno I am unable to see if adjusting the pot has any affect on the power the chip can deliver.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
It does have a trim pot but it is a little unclear exactly what it does. From memory, the doco says it is for fine adjustments if the engine is running rough.
Not having access to a dyno I am unable to see if adjusting the pot has any affect on the power the chip can deliver.

As I understand it, diesel boost (simplistically) has 2 components - increase fuel to increase power and then increase boost to decrease EGT.

I understand about price = what people are willing to pay, but the Fuso is a relatively simple and very slow 4 injector setup. You would be reading the 4 injector signals and the EGT, and writing the 4 modified injector signals, along with hopefully keeping an eye on your EGT to make sure you aren't cooking anything, right?

alan

Explorer
The standard retail price for this module is $1650 aud inc tax.

The adjustment increases the amount of fuel delivered, we normally tweek this when we make other mods like exhaust or boost increase, an easy 25% power is achieved with the steinbauer.

westyss

Explorer
Awesome thanks, how would you say it effected economy¿ I really dint want it any worse lol

MPG's appear to have dropped by about 1-2 miles per gallon, not exactly sure though because I have not checked for a while and the last time I did a quick calculation I was on a big trip and was very heavy so it might be well off, not too sure what one would expect but for me I didnt expect to get more power without using more fuel , also with that extra power the foot presses down more to use that additional power........a bit of catch 22 there I guess.

I really do like having the chip and would not go back, although I might turn it off when I retire and start to putz around slowly meandering about in no particular hurry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger