Wanting a Tacoma but have questions...

trump

Adventurist
The only thing that seems to get documented is complaints... so IMO the information available is skewed.

x2

To answer the OP's question... As far as the engine selection goes, it depends on your plans for the truck. If you plan to build it up and carry a lot of gear I'd pass on the 2.7L unless you crave the reliability and simplicity of that engine. After loading the truck down you'll be dreaming about that 4.0 every time. Don't get me wrong, it will push the truck down the road just fine, but the V6 is the right tool for the job. If you plan to leave it pretty much stock, then the 2.7L would probably be a good cost effective solution for you.

salve7

Adventurer
Thanks for all of the replies. I really don't plan on doing much to the truck other than some tires and a camper shell so I can sleep in it and throw all of my climbing/ camping equip in. I am trying to go look at a 07 5-speed but work is keeping me here for now. I like that everything in it is simple from roll down windows to manual locks so I guess I need to drive a few first and see what I think I need. I agree that I need to get all of the options up front because I am dumping my money into my old landie trying to restore it (although it hasn't needed much... I love diesels!). If I decide to get the locking dif I will prob have to go aftermarket anyways unless I want to wait until my subie really breaks down while I hunt down a better deal. The dealer I am going to try and see has a V6 extended cab as well though it is prob priced outside of what I want to pay. I'll try them both.

Logans91XJ

Dirt Road Anthem
I just read the thread from Direct Drive and I was seriously crying from laughing so hard! Love the harassment and banter! LOL

conscript88

If you want a 6 get a 6. I have a 4 and i love it but theres lots of people out there who end up trading up because they get want they wanted the first around.

upcountry

Explorer
Do it! Buy exactly what YOU want. Dont worry about the 1 million opinions on all the different Toyota forums. Do your own research (like you are doing now) and get what you want. Just remember after that thing is paid off, it's yours for the next 200k, so do it right the first time.

salve7

Adventurer
Well I drove a couple and really liked the 2.7 so I bought it. It has plenty of power and did great on hills plus the 5-speed really sold me on it. I didn't get home until late last night but still took it down my boat ramp and played in the mud some. Prob should have told the detail guy not to worry with it but most of the truck was still shining. Thanks for all of the input and I guess I should introduce myself to the toyota crowd... Hello my name is Jay and I have an 07 Tacoma.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
For the time being I am looking for a camper shell. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I just switched from a leer to an ARE. I traded up to get a matching color and windoors but I really like the ARE. I find the Leer fit for the 2nd gen taco to be a little weird, it hangs over the side quite a bit. The leer was very solid and worked well but the overhang drove me nuts.

Whatever you get I will say that all the hype about windoors is for a reason, they rock. They do add one more thing to break, and they have handles out the side of the truck to get caught/ cause more drag, but to me it is worth it. This is my first shell with windoors and luckily wont be getting another truck soon because I wouldnt want to live without them.

FYI all of the 2nd Gen shells for a standard bed will fit, they are identical for standard cab, access cab, and doubble cab long bed. The only 2nd gen shells that wont are for the double cab short bed.

upcountry

Explorer
I have a VISTA top with windoors. It is simple and I like it but like the previous post said the fit is like the Leer and hangs over quite a bit so it can be a challenge to align it. The VISTA was the generic top but is fiberglass and insulated. I added Gutter Feet from Thule to bolt on my gutter style rack.

Happy shopping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998