Wanting some help on vehicle choice...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
When I was shopping for my Suburban I came across at least two GMT800 Suburban 2500's that had been converted to LBZ diesels with the Allison 6 speed tranny. Asking price was round 20k - 25k depending on condition. I would think that would fulfill all your requirements and still be easier to find parts for than a Troopy or similar import.
Edited to Add: Here you go: http://duramaxsuburbans.com/

p nut

butter
Get a gas Suburban. Convert it later if you want, but that's a lot of $$ to put into it. I'd imagine you'd break even....in 20 years.

Clutch

<---Pass
Seems like importing a 25 year old vehicle, you would be fixing things more than driving. Companies like Eco-Offroad...seem like they have a long list of repairs just to get it road worthy.

My vote is a SLC Special. :D

720848e22679410ba5f8d940780a93a3.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Seems like importing a 25 year old vehicle, you would be fixing things more than driving. Companies like Eco-Offroad...seem like they have a long list of repairs just to get it road worthy.

I'll bet an aircraft carrier has a smaller turning radius than that beast. :D

Clutch

<---Pass
In all seriousness, a van is probably the best option.

Have you shown her a Sprinter or Transit? Checks all the requirements. Diesel, seating, towing...

Not cheap though.

quigley-motors-4x4-f-11_1280x0w.jpg

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
I'm going to get a lot of flack for this suggestion but I don't think it would be all that difficult or expensive.

Find a 06-08 Grand Cherokee CRD and transplant into a Commander. Should be incredibly simple and if you swap the Commander motivation back into the GC, you can sell that too. If both vehicles are QDII, it would be engine, trans, 'puters, and fuel systems. It can be done for less then you'd get for selling the LR4. I can't imagine there'd be any fab required.

The Commander is about the same size as the LR4 and QDII is a great all-around offroading system. I think Jeep should have offered the Commander with the CRD.

crossed-up

Observer
I'm going to get a lot of flack for this suggestion but I don't think it would be all that difficult or expensive.

Find a 06-08 Grand Cherokee CRD and transplant into a Commander. Should be incredibly simple and if you swap the Commander motivation back into the GC, you can sell that too. If both vehicles are QDII, it would be engine, trans, 'puters, and fuel systems. It can be done for less then you'd get for selling the LR4. I can't imagine there'd be any fab required.

The Commander is about the same size as the LR4 and QDII is a great all-around offroading system. I think Jeep should have offered the Commander with the CRD.

It would definitely be possible and nearly all the Commanders in Europe are CRDs. The big issue would be that the Commander is definitely not a practical or comfortable proposition for transporting 6 people and their gear. As much as I loved mine, I now have to admit, despite appearances, it was not as practical as my WK. The rearmost seats could not be considered adult size as they sit virtually flat on the floor with no legroom, and with them deployed there is zero luggage space.

SpeedAddict502

Observer
If you're serious about importing and the 25 year requirement, danged if I wouldn't add a Nissan Patrol to that list. They're just flat tough vehicles from that era. I've no clue why this site pretty much ignores their existence. Turbo Diesel equipped ain't a problem.

Yah they are awesome, I got to see lots of them when I was overseas. But third row is only suitable for kids, even if that.

Not enough size difference to matter, they're of the same 'class'

2003 Excursion

Wheelbase 137.1
Track f/r 68.4/68.1
Overall Length 226.7
Overall Width 79.9

2003 Suburban

WHEEL BASE 130 in.
Track f/r 65/66
Length 219.3
width 78.8

Wow I guess I should have looked it up, but I didnt realize they were so close. The excursion just looks so much bigger

When I was shopping for my Suburban I came across at least two GMT800 Suburban 2500's that had been converted to LBZ diesels with the Allison 6 speed tranny. Asking price was round 20k - 25k depending on condition. I would think that would fulfill all your requirements and still be easier to find parts for than a Troopy or similar import.
Edited to Add: Here you go: http://duramaxsuburbans.com/

I have seen those as well, but all of the ones I saw were like 40k I thought? If you find one for that price shoot it my way!

Get a gas Suburban. Convert it later if you want, but that's a lot of $$ to put into it. I'd imagine you'd break even....in 20 years.

I think that might be the ticket, however I am going to go look at a 97 K2500 Suburban that already has a Cummins swap sometime this week :Wow1:

I agree on the 25 yo vehicle, I'm sure they can be a hassle. My Unimog was easy for parts, but there are a few dedicated companies

And wow thats awesome! Much too big, but freaking sweet haha

wait wait wait, I have a solution....with a quad steering out of GM...

quadra7.jpg

I wonder how strong that rear axle is....

In all seriousness, a van is probably the best option.

Have you shown her a Sprinter or Transit? Checks all the requirements. Diesel, seating, towing...

Not cheap though.

quigley-motors-4x4-f-11_1280x0w.jpg

I have not seen the Transit van one, that is sweet! Going to look at them now!

It would definitely be possible and nearly all the Commanders in Europe are CRDs. The big issue would be that the Commander is definitely not a practical or comfortable proposition for transporting 6 people and their gear. As much as I loved mine, I now have to admit, despite appearances, it was not as practical as my WK. The rearmost seats could not be considered adult size as they sit virtually flat on the floor with no legroom, and with them deployed there is zero luggage space.

I have a feeling that would be much harder than it sounds. Not with any fab work or even mounting anything, but with the electronics and dealer programming and getting everything to talk.

The Mega Cab Ram with front and rear bench seats have a crap load of space in them.

Is the front middle seat really that comfortable?

Clutch

<---Pass
I have not seen the Transit van one, that is sweet! Going to look at them now!

The Transit is a 4WD conversion done by Quigley, they work close with Ford...apparently you can get it ordered through Ford.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/04/quigley-motors-now-offers-ford-transit-4x4.html

Sprinters are 4WD from the factory.

Looks like it ticks off your requirements...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-mercedes-benz-sprinter-4x4-first-drive-review

2016 Mercedes-Benz 2500 High Roof 3.0L V6 Diesel 4WD Van
Model: 2016 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter
MSRP: $44,000
Horsepower: 188 hp @ 3,800 rpm
Towing capacity: 5,000 lbs
Engine: 3.0 L V6 diesel
Curb weight: 5,864 lbs
Torque: 325 lb-ft @ 1,400 rpm
Fuel tank capacity: 24.5 gal

She may not like a van, but to haul 6 people and not being too much of a barge on the trail...might be the way to go.

Those LC Troop Carries look miserable for passengers...

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Sprinters are 4WD from the factory.
I know a guy who sold his F-350 diesel with a cab-over camper and replaced it with a Sprinter conversion. He and his wife are much happier with the Sprinter, but it's also much newer.

Clutch

<---Pass
I know a guy who sold his F-350 diesel with a cab-over camper and replaced it with a Sprinter conversion. He and his wife are much happier with the Sprinter, but it's also much newer.

A much more civilized platform...darn near drives like a car...a really really big car, but car-like none-the-less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179