Warning for 2012+ in regard to DEF nozzle

Mock Tender

Adventurer
I had a nasty little surprise about a month and a half ago. We were driving on some trails in the Arizona Strip, when the red “Eng Sys” light went on. After looking around the truck, what we spotted was the def hose to the def dosing nozzle was hanging. It had broken away where the plastic “Tic Tac Box” connects to the extruded aluminum doser. The connection is a small weak nylon plastic part that has a “C” clip that connects the two.

Being, what I thought was pretty far from a Fuso Dealer- I called the best mechanic for Fuso that I have found at Washington Auto Carriage in Spokane. He said that yes he could send me the replacement part, but that the problem would be that until I had the ECU reset by a Fuso dealer, that the truck would start to work its way down to creep mode with an alarm blasting.

Turns out that “dumb blind luck” was on our side. There is a Rush Truck Center in St. George, about a 2 1/2 hour drive from where we were.

At the end of one hours driving, the alarm went on and by the time we were driving a the last 5-6% grade hill the fastest I could go was 30 mph.

Like all good breakdowns go, it was a Friday afternoon. The Service Manager and the Fuso Mechanic, looked the problem over, hooked up the Mutt and made some calls. They had 5 dosing nozzles at the Salt Lake Rush Truck Center and would have someone get one down on Monday. They let us stay in their parking lot (not the best or even close to the worst campsite I have ever been in) and had us up and running by noon on Monday.

Now, they couldn't figure out how it broke and either could I. There was no trauma to it or the puny guard covering it. Did a rock hit it, or being nylon/plastic next to the exhaust and rattling weaken it or did we hit it with some low hanging sage brush or something else. So, Fuso covered the $825.00 part plus labor. Rush only charged me $22.00 for getting the part from Salt Lake.

Something else to consider, is that the Salt Lake shop had 5 of these in stock. Sounds like a high breakage item. Fuso didn't balk at covering it. The mechanic commented that the fragility of the part was surprising and that it was easy to swap out.

But the biggest “stop me and my trip to Alaska plans” were that without a Fuso Dealer, even though I could have easily replaced the part myself- without resetting the ECU, the truck was only three hours from “limp mode” after it broke. There are no Fuso dealers in Central British Columbia and north. None in the Yukon or Alaska.

I have included pictures of the electrical tape wrapped fix (didn't help) and the fixed nozzle and hose- and unfortunately I didn't think to take pictures of the break itself.

I am going to have a bigger and stouter guard placed around that area and something to guard the top of the DEF tank as well. Both areas are always covered with mud when off-road.IMG_0738.jpgIMG_1004.jpgIMG_1003.jpg

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Can you not delete all of the error codes via the fuse panel? On my truck (FG84) I can delete all of the current error codes and also the stored error codes via the fuse panel.
Not having had my truck go into limp mode, I do not know if this method will take the ECU out of limp mode or not, but if it does, that should negate your main concerns about not being near a Fuso dealer.

dlh62c

Explorer
I am going to have a bigger and stouter guard placed around that area and something to guard the top of the DEF tank as well. Both areas are always covered with mud when off-road.

Thanks for the write up and letting others know.

With a little crowd funding you can create a multimillion dollar start-up company cranking out offroad protection equipment for the later model Canters. You could travel the world living off the royalties.

But the biggest “stop me and my trip to Alaska plans” were that without a Fuso Dealer, even though I could have easily replaced the part myself- without resetting the ECU, the truck was only three hours from “limp mode” after it broke. There are no Fuso dealers in Central British Columbia and north. None in the Yukon or Alaska.

Load up and go anyway. If you have a local Mitsubishi dealer you can trust, consider cultivating a relationship with someone there. Discuss your concerns, grab some business cards from the techs and service manager and exchange email addresses. They are just as excited as you are regarding your truck and travels. I'm sure they don't see a Canter configured for camping very often.

Regarding the MUTT equipment, there is a point where Mitsubishi updated/added OBD capabilities to the Canter. I think it started with the 2013 model year, but don't quote me on that. I believe their new diagnostic interface for later models is now PC based. There is the ability to display and erase diagnosis codes by using the multi-information display on the vehicle's meter cluster, even if the FUSO Diagnostics is not available.

I know what your thinking; does this allow the owner to erase codes and take the truck out of limp mode?

That's a good question.

Last edited:

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
the MUTS is going to be one of the things in the toolbox. As you say, if you're planning on heading up to the Far North...pack well.

2012's can access OBD codes (at least some), but I'm pretty sure that you're not able to erase all fault codes, especially ones that'll cause limp mode. For those I think you need the MUTS unit.

Good to know about that DEF nozzle, thanks for posting that up MT. I agree that it might be a good idea to get some more armor on that area.

ETA: yet another part to consider adding to the toolbox...I have to look around locally and see if there are any FE's in salvage yards, this might be a good item to pick up used, if you can find it.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Haven't seen that G-Scan reader, interesting. Might be worthwhile looking into that system.

I can definitely say that the earlier MUTS-III systems don't work on the later trucks, no matter what the sellers say. Even for the earlier trucks, the MUTS system PC needs some tweaking to run the SW. The Fusoconnect interface is the right one for the later model trucks, but one of the issues that I've got to question the reps about are the updates - is that a subscription service, available only to "authorized dealers" or??

Just sent an email to G-Scan with an enquiry, I'll post any results in this thread.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Even on alibaba they are almost $3k, yikes!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/high..._8&btsid=88622b10-1884-4835-a462-e2b68169f18c

w2clHDM.jpg

dlh62c

Explorer
Will erasing the codes using the G-Scan tool take the truck out of Limp Mode?

I suspect all you're doing is clearing out a buffer where their values are stored. The vehicle ECU firmware is constantly polling the hardware looking for faults. If the fault manages to correct itself, i.e. fault healing, all is good. But if it's a hard fault that requires some component to be replaced, no amount of erasing fault codes will help.

These trucks are drive by wire so somewhere buried in the vehicle schematic is a signal that tells the engine and/or the transmission to go into limp mode. The question is; where is it and can it be isolated and manipulated in some way to take the truck out of limp mode and keep it that way until the failed component is replaced?

Could it be as simple as pulling apart a connector or popping out a fuse?

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer
I highly doubt it.
As you mentioned, the ECU is the device that detects a faulty component. Sadly, you cannot disconnect that.

Its not the fault itself I want to isolated and manipulate, its the systems response to that fault that I want to isolated and manipulate.

It would be nice if there was a component shown on the vehicle schematic that was labeled 'Transmission Limp Home Solenoid' with a connector that I could disconnect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan