Warning re Jackery product quality/design

Status
Not open for further replies.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Not Jackery, but in addition to writing the charge-control algorithm and drivers for a number of battery-powered devices, I have repaired power supplies and DC battery chargers - two things with a lot in common with said unit. As you say, it should be an easy repair - and it would be much easier if Jackery would provide him with even a little basic info. (Better still if they haven't potted the boards or epoxied the control chip.) I'm on your side that the unit is probably repairable.

Something like a Jackery is pretty much the definition of an embedded system. There's a small processor (probably actually several) embedded within the device that service a very specific function. In this case, there's at least one chip dedicated to the charge controller which takes inputs from a number of analog inputs (battery voltage, probably temperature, etc.) and uses digital outputs to modulate the output voltage and current to a battery. That processor runs a little bit of firmware that controls the charging algorithm and also handles things like calculating the reported state-of-charge. In this case, there's also an LCD display, which generally has its own processor and firmware, though theoretically this could be driven directly from a single SOC. If you want to get really specific, the USB outputs also require their own embedded microcontroller since the handshake required for anything more than 500mA output requires a small codec to enact the command protocol.

I really can't fathom why I'm catching hell for (1) advocating that companies provide a little information along with the electronics they sell, (2) advocating that things generally ARE repairable and that the calculus of "cost effective" for a company is very different from "cost effective" for an owner.
Thats because others don't know enough on the subject so their only option is to take shots at those who do to justify their existance.

You just paying the price for being Smarter than the average bear, ;)

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
OP shared his experience. That was his point.

He shared his experience, fine.

But this also happened.

He broke the unit through his own negligence. His unlashed battery fell off his drawer system onto the ground. He was then offered a discount and took it.

He then came to expeditionportal.com, titled thread: "
Warning re Jackery product quality/design" with first paragraph ending: " Part of it is my fault, part of it is just plain poor product quality or design. "

He then goes on to claim he's taking accountability, how does the above reflect his accountability?

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader

Your point sure seems like it's for you to have (another) reason to bicker.
One of the most popular forums for that is here. A lot of famous (and not-so-famous) people who believe their opinions are of greater importance than anyone else's opinions or contrary objective data do a lot of bickering there. You should fit right in.

thanks for the tip "joined May 20, 2021" ...

sounds about right

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Yeah And??

He is right, If it was designed better it would of survived and 2 ) if he stowed it correctly it would not of happened, So he is correct 2 for 2.

Get a few things Straight,

It was not you Jackery So he does not have to justify any thing to You,

And he is right, They are Crap,

Also Jackery's Customer Care does not exist and they are nothing but shipping company.

Unless you are Jackery's CEO You've got nothing to worth listening to So get off the OP's Back,

It's over, done with, Move On.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
He shared his experience, fine.

But this also happened.

He broke the unit through his own negligence. His unlashed battery fell off his drawer system onto the ground. He was then offered a discount and took it.

He then came to expeditionportal.com, titled thread: "
Warning re Jackery product quality/design" with first paragraph ending: " Part of it is my fault, part of it is just plain poor product quality or design. "

He then goes on to claim he's taking accountability, how does the above reflect his accountability?
Yeah And??

He is right, If it was designed better it would of survived and 2 ) if he stowed it correctly it would not of happened, So he is correct 2 for 2.

It was not your Jackery So he does not have to justify any thing to You,

Also Jackery's Customer Care does not exist and they are nothing but shipping company.

Unless you are Jackery's CEO You've got nothing to worth listening to So get off the OP's Back,

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Yeah And??

It was not your Jackery So he does not have to justify any thing to You,

you don't live in reality

just checked their site, $420 for a lithium battery, etc etc.

and you and the original poster expect it to withstand 3ft falls and be repairable

hahaha!

Still waiting for someone to share the comparable product that would deliver on these durability and serviceability requirements

67cj5

Man On a Mission
you don't live in reality

just checked their site, $420 for a lithium battery, etc etc.

and you and the original poster expect it to withstand 3ft falls and be repairable

hahaha!

Still waiting for someone to share the comparable product that would deliver on these durability and serviceability requirements
My Hero, :love: :love: :love:

OllieChristopher

Boy this thread sure did bring out the Jackery haters. I imagine any kind of solar generator or electronic device that drops to the ground has a very good chance of failing. I feel bad that the OP is having trouble with getting the manufacturer to replace the unit for free.

I would pull it apart and and repair it myself. I'm willing to bet it's nothing more than a loose connection, wire or something very simple that needs to be repaired.

These kind of threads where the haters come out still do not shake my confidence in these solar generators. I have been having nothing but outstanding luck with my Jackery 300. I have not dropped it. If I do damage it I'll repair it myself. Portable solar generators are very simple and make powering devices from multiple vehicles and locations a practical solution.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Boy this thread sure did bring out the Jackery haters. I imagine any kind of solar generator or electronic device that drops to the ground has a very good chance of failing. I feel bad that the OP is having trouble with getting the manufacturer to replace the unit for free.

I would pull it apart and and repair it myself. I'm willing to bet it's nothing more than a loose connection, wire or something very simple that needs to be repaired.

These kind of threads where the haters come out still do not shake my confidence in these solar generators. I have been having nothing but outstanding luck with my Jackery 300. I have not dropped it. If I do damage it I'll repair it myself. Portable solar generators are very simple and make powering devices from multiple vehicles and locations a practical solution.
I don't hate them just their service, Their 1000w version is one of the best all rounders on the market,
I always put mine on the floor behind the Drivers seat in the Vehicle that way it can't fall any lower, (y)

OllieChristopher

It's cool I was not referring to you. I understand where you are coming from. Hell, I would have been upset too. I feel bad for the gentlemen having to deal with poor customer service.

AMH_buys

thanks for the tip "joined May 20, 2021" ...
sounds about right
It's not surprising that, like so many other people who are fixated on internet forums as if they're something close to the be-all & end-all of knowledge about a subject, you have jumped to the laughable conclusion that a person's forum join date is inherently directly related to that person's experience or skill. News flash: It ain't.

I reiterate what should be obvious: any reasonable person who actually has Jackery 500-specific engineering experience or hands-on repair skills, and who didn't come here with intent more oriented toward bickering rather than problem-solving, would have shared that expertise with the OP, instead of merely chastising him for dropping it. And yes, this goes double for the self-proclaimed design embedded systems design engineer fixated on the "right-to-repair" issue.

I shared a few general suggestions with the OP, and I suggest that anyone with more specific knowledge about this particular unit could/should do the same.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
It's not surprising that, like so many other people who are fixated on internet forums as if they're something close to the be-all & end-all of knowledge about a subject, you have jumped to the laughable conclusion that a person's forum join date is inherently directly related to that person's experience or skill. News flash: It ain't.

I reiterate what should be obvious: any reasonable person who actually has Jackery 500-specific engineering experience or hands-on repair skills, and who didn't come here with intent more oriented toward bickering rather than problem-solving, would have shared that expertise with the OP, instead of merely chastising him for dropping it. And yes, this goes double for the self-proclaimed design embedded systems design engineer fixated on the "right-to-repair" issue.

I shared a few general suggestions with the OP, and I suggest that anyone with more specific knowledge about this particular unit could/should do the same.

The OP came here to throw a company under the bus for his wrong doing (despite taking their accommodation) and you support him in that effort. You didn’t offer anything useful. Congrats to you!

I at least offered a needed a reality check. You and the OP are welcome.

still waiting for those comparable products that would have survived or been repairable for a similar cost.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I’m still baffled by the whole overpriced Jackery/ any other brand portable battery setup . We are all vehicle dependent.. what’s wrong with a good second deep cycle battery and a isolator ? How many electrons and doodads do you really need to drive around and sleep in the woods ?

As someone who did the dual battery conversion I can tell you the reason most people don't do them: Money, time and complexity. My total cost was probably at least $200, NOT including the second battery (which was another $280 for a 68AH AGM, the biggest I could find in the correct size.)

And unlike most modern vehicles, my truck (2004 Suburban) actually had a dedicated space for a second battery. It also took me probably a good 20 - 30 hours of work (granted, I work very slow.)

So, given that (a) most people don't have that much time to dedicate to a project like this, and (b) most people don't have a dedicated space in their vehicle for a second battery, which means that if you want to put a 2nd battery under the hood, now you have to move other stuff around (which costs additional money and takes additional time), as well as (c) wanting a power solution that is "plug and play" and can be used in multiple vehicles, I can totally understand why there is a market for these portable power packs even at a premium price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle