WARNING:Tacomas can't swim

PAyota

Observer
[Off-Topic]This pic made me laugh a little, not at your misfortune, but because at first glance it looks like you knocked a tree over as you slid off the ledge.

That could be another one of those Tacoma commercials showing how tough they are. Remember the ones with the asteroid hitting the truck, etc? [/Off-Topic]

Haha, I didn't notice that tree before. "My truck's so tough it uprooted trees without even a dent!" This could turn into a "fishing" story.lol

corax

Explorer
I'm in the process of draining/flushing. I'm going to put fans on it and give it awhile before I start checking the electronics.

The sooner you can get to the electronics the better off you'll be (financially) - it's not usually the water, but rather the resultant corrosion that kills electronics. Disconnect and wash out any/everything electronic with rubbing alcohol and/or electronic parts cleaner, if the water dries in there, it'll leave residue and that's not good. You should be able to crack open most if not all of the modules to aid the flushing, then let them air dry (or use a hair drier). Also disconnect every connector you can get to and spray clean with electronics parts cleaner to prevent future corrosion on the connector terminals (will drive you crazy with odd problems later if you don't)

Recently a leaky windshield dumped water onto the ECU in my '88 causing a no start. It took me 20 minutes of diag to realize no fire + no injector = ECU not working. As soon as I pulled it out of the kick panel to check powers and grounds I saw the water. Took it apart, flushed with plenty of rubbing alcohol and after letting it dry, the truck fired right up.

PAyota

Observer
I took the doors off to wheel because you can see A LOT more. The way I cut the pin out of the hinges it literally takes me 5 mins/side to remove them and about 15 mins/side to re-install.

PAyota

Observer
The sooner you can get to the electronics the better......

Thanks for the input. My buddy towed me home today and helped me get it in the garage. I've already drained most of the fluids so now I'll start pulling the electronics.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998