Warranty- Do retail trailer buyer's care or pay attention?

ScottReb

Adventurer
We had a large RV dealer next to our shop for several years. The biggest majority of their profits were warranty work. They were booked months out for it, and this was pre covid. A huge percent of new US-based tradition RVs have issues off the lot. There was just an article written by an RV dealer group that complained saying it's the worst it's been in 30 years. Skilled labor is nonexistent at the mass manufacturing level. This picture below is one of Coachman's sub-companies, Viking I think from a show going on now.
As very well expressed earlier, a warranty is only as good as the company backing it. But these are huge corporations. Yes, they repair them but they don't build them well, to begin with. Rather have less warranty and better QC!
That being said, we offer a 1-year warranty on our units ?

Attachments

• Coachman weld.jpeg
    Coachman weld.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 43

onesojourner

The average life of a travel trailer is 12 years. They are just garbage. Aluminum and fiberglass campers are the only quality, buy it for life options.

DFNDER

The lifetime warranty on the frame and chassis of our squaredrop was certainly a factor in my purchase decision. Tells me the builder believes in their product, especially the part that actually should last a lifetime.

Treefarmer

Trailer warranties are of limited value. Individual components are covered by the individual manufacturers. If problems come up with components like frame/walls/roof/suspension, they often happen right after the warranty expires. We have had items fail under warranty an ended up not making a claim. We found that going through a claim would take too long or we could fix something ourselves or find another mechanic/craftsman who could fix the problem better than the manufacturer could have.

Perhaps the biggest thing to look at in a manufacturer warranty is will they warranty their trailer for full time living/use. Even if you never use the trailer on a full time basis or end up make a warranty claim, being willing to put this up front in their warranty document speaks volumes about how much confidence they have in the quality of their product. Most manufacturers specifically state their warranty is voided if the unit is used full time or for commercial operations.

Wendell-R

Interesting question! I don't remember asking if there was a warranty and still don't know to be honest.

The only issue I've really had was a problem with the Dometic furnace sail switch. They offered to swap it out, but I opted to upgrade it to a Truma because of the variable fan speed. To be honest, I don't remember how it was handled - I suspect I paid for the new furnace, but that they didn't charge me for the replacement. Not sure where the cost of the thermostat/control panel upgrade ended up.

They fixed/upgraded a couple of things while I had it there and I'm pretty sure I didn't pay for that.

TwinStick

Explorer
The average life of a travel trailer is 12 years. They are just garbage. Aluminum and fiberglass campers are the only quality, buy it for life options.

Not sure the last sentence is true. I have seen and talked to more than a few "aluminum riveted" camper owners who said that their camper had issues with rivets and leaks. And we have also seen a "fiberglass oval" shaped camper that had a structural crack and leaked. The sun, time and vibration and temperature extremes play havoc with campers.

We have owned 3 campers. Have had issues with all 3. I fixed almost everything myself. Of the things I couldn't fix myself, dealer only succeeded in fixing one......only because part failed and it was a quick simple 5 minute replacement. We had a leak in our brand new at the time 2016. We took it back 8x. Couldn't even use it the first year. They replaced the window 3x. It still leaked. They fixed the roof 5x. It still leaked. I fixed it myself finally. Used it for 6 years and just sold it. Got what we owed so we were happy. We are done with campers now. Still tent camp though.

I am a Military Veteran & am very confident in any trailer made to military standards. Most big name offroad trailers/campers from the USA or Down Under are VERY solidly built. But things do wear out & fail. Knowing that, preventative maintenance and spare parts are the owner's responsibility, especially if you are a true overlander. It would suck to be stranded in the middle of nowhere, especially with family, &/or could be a life threatening/ending event, depending on health/medication/heat/water situation.

Not sure the last sentence is true. I have seen and talked to more than a few "aluminum riveted" camper owners who said that their camper had issues with rivets and leaks. And we have also seen a "fiberglass oval" shaped camper that had a structural crack and leaked. The sun, time and vibration and temperature extremes play havoc with campers.

We have owned 3 campers. Have had issues with all 3. I fixed almost everything myself. Of the things I couldn't fix myself, dealer only succeeded in fixing one......only because part failed and it was a quick simple 5 minute replacement. We had a leak in our brand new at the time 2016. We took it back 8x. Couldn't even use it the first year. They replaced the window 3x. It still leaked. They fixed the roof 5x. It still leaked. I fixed it myself finally. Used it for 6 years and just sold it. Got what we owed so we were happy. We are done with campers now. Still tent camp though.

I am a Military Veteran & am very confident in any trailer made to military standards. Most big name offroad trailers/campers from the USA or Down Under are VERY solidly built. But things do wear out & fail. Knowing that, preventative maintenance and spare parts are the owner's responsibility, especially if you are a true overlander. It would suck to be stranded in the middle of nowhere, especially with family, &/or could be a life threatening/ending event, depending on health/medication/heat/water situation.
Totally agree with this. Whether you have a camper or trailer that will last has more to do with the quality and ability of the builder and everyone that touches that build. Quality construction materials and techniques are always nice to have, but they don't guarantee the quality of the finished product. I wouldn't chose to build an all wooden camper, but there are wooden sailboats out there that are decades old, have crossed multiple oceans, and will continue to live on while other much newer fiberglass sailboats end up in pieces. All because they were really well designed and built by craftsmen that sweat the details and had pride in what they were doing. In a perfect world you get that level of builder, and they use the best materials available.....but that budget is definitely never the lower cost option.

As to warranties.....I always look into them and try and understand (and good luck with that!) whether there is anything that protects that purchase, but at the end of the day, I still either trust the builder/company to be there and stand by their product, or I don't. If I don't, the idea that a piece of paper is going to save me and my purchase is just not a risk I like the idea of taking. So for me the warranty is a nice added touch, but rarely something that makes me buy, or avoid, a product. Nor do I think that a warranty (or the length of the warranty) is what differentiates a quality manufacturer/builder from a lower quality, or less trustworthy manufacturer/builder. Although, it would be a lot easier if it was actually that simple!

hemifoot

Observer
i get extended warranties on all my stuff,boats,atv's, travel trailer,truck camper and a rarely if ever have had anything denied and always had my repairs done in a timely manner,until covid anyway.i've had to wait for parts for my side by side.manufacturer warranties are not worth the paper it's printed on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior