Washing winch line?

Crookthumb

Adventurer
I was wondering if anyone washes their winch line? I have seen rope washers for climbing rope and was wondering if anybody has used something like this mainly for synthetic winch line to get the grit and sand out to prolong the life? I have heard people throwing their climbing rope in the washer or soaking in the sink. Will detergents harm the integrity of the winch line?

Layonnn

Adventurer
I was wondering if anyone washes their winch line? I have seen rope washers for climbing rope and was wondering if anybody has used something like this mainly for synthetic winch line to get the grit and sand out to prolong the life? I have heard people throwing their climbing rope in the washer or soaking in the sink. Will detergents harm the integrity of the winch line?

I know you are supposed to. The grit can get inside the rope and cause all kinds of micro tears inside. I would think just getting a big tub, and using that to clean it. As far as what kind of cleaner, no idea.

taalow

Doing what way you like freely, synthetic winch line is kindda chemical resistant. Detergents?-- no problems.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I wash rescue rope and imagine the same care could be used for the winch line.
I do not use detergent. This removes the internal lubrication from the rope. Use fabric softener. This will leave some lubrication and keep the rope from dry rotting internally. Just a little softener added to the wash. I place the rope in a heavy duty upright clothes washer looped loosely. If it is not clean after one cycle, I repeat. Then hang out of the sun to dry. The hose tower at the fire station works great. That may not be an option for some ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior