Washington Backcountry Discovery route (WABDR)

Little Red

Adventurer
I did a Google search but could not find a thread for the WABDR here on EXPO.
So I thought I would start one. (if there is already a tread for this feel free to post a link)

The Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR) is a scenic route across Washington State from Oregon to Canada through the Cascade Mountain Range. The 600-mile route follows a connection of mostly unpaved backroads that can be ridden on dual-sport and adventure motorcycles or driven in 4x4 and high-clearance 4WD vehicles. It is usually snow-free July through September.

Check out the WABDR website, it has lots of info, GPS tracks, maps and some cool videos of the different trail sections. There is also a DVD for sale with covers the complete route.

Butler Maps has also made a map for this route, available on their website for $14.95

Please post up your trail pictures, trip reports or any other related information

Last edited:

Little Red

Adventurer
I am planning on driving the WABDR in my suburban, late May/early June 2011

I was wondering if anyone has traveled this route before and if so do you think I would run in to any problems? I am thinking maybe my suburban is a little too big for this trail?
I know it has been driven in a mostly stock FJ Cruiser, so I might be fine.
Anny input would be appreciated

Also when I get to drive this route I will post a trip report here.

paulj

Expedition Leader
It looks like they have picked a through route that maximizes the use of 4digit FS roads. If a given leg is too rough or narrow, there will be a 2digit alternative not too far away. In fact except for the GP part, US97 isn't far away. The May-June time frame might a problem. At that time I doubt if there will be a snow free through route between Mt St Helens and Mt Adams.

Resources that I have used to travel this area include:
Benchmark Atlas
Washington Byways,Tony Huegel (describes most legs of this route)
respective FS district 'current conditions' pages.

mkitchen

Explorer
That looks like a neat route.

I am definitely going to add that route to the places I need to explore. Time allowing, it would be neat to go north from the Mexican border on the continental divide trail and then jump over to WA and come south on this route.

Just going to have to retire because this work stuff is really cutting into my free time.
Mikey

stevec

Adventurer
I agree with paulj, there will likely still be snow on portions of the route in late May/Early June. Also, most of the roads in the Table Mountain area do not open until June 15th; I don't know if the route has taken this into account (I posed the question last fall, but never got an answer). We're planning to do at least part of the route the last weekend of June (depending on time constraints of the participants), and I expect to hit at least some snow when we are there. Portions of the route are over 6000' (for reference, the ski area at Snoqualmie Pass is at 3000'.)

Little Red

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. Late May/early June is the closest to summer that I can get off work.
So that will be my only change to drive the WABDR this year.

I know parts of this route may still be covered in snow, but there are usually some alternative roads nearby that I could take for that part of the trail.

My main concern is that I don’t know if some parts of the trail are maybe too narrow or too challenging for my suburban. I don’t have a winch yet, and it is not lifted but does have 33” mud terrain tires, so that adds a little clearance. I also have a chainsaw in case of downed trees across the road.
Has anyone here driven the WABDR before?

stevec

Adventurer
I'm sure I've been on parts of the route, but couldn't tell you for sure without looking at the maps. I know the Table Mountain area pretty well - our 4WD club is up at Liberty a couple of times a year.

I expect that you'll put your chainsaw to good use that time of year, as the roads and trails that are just melting out will likely have downed trees.

I believe the route is designed to be doable with a stock 4x4, so I think your only issue will be the snow. If you are going by yourself, just be conservative in what you think you can get through

Little Red

Adventurer
Snow

I looked at the DOT report and it said there was about 60 feet of snow @ the pass on Highway 20.
They posted some cool pictures of their annual North Cascades assessment trip HERE.

So it sounds like I will probably not be able to complete the higher elevation parts of the WABDR, taking a closer look, that might include most parts of the trail.

My plans where to dive the WABDR and then head east towards Glacier NP (MT) using mainly dirt roads. I will have to look for some other alternative dirt roads now.

Woodsman

Adventurer
That sounds like a great trip. I travelled some of that area in Feb via state highways 2 and 97. Any idea how much of the effects of the great flood (potholes, ripples, and canyons/scablands) are visible along this route ?

bwdenman

There is a series of 6 videos on youtube highlighting the route. I can't wait to run it myself.:smiley_drive:

paulj

Expedition Leader
That sounds like a great trip. I travelled some of that area in Feb via state highways 2 and 97. Any idea how much of the effects of the great flood (potholes, ripples, and canyons/scablands) are visible along this route ?

I think this tries to stay in the mountains as much as possible, or shall we say the ridges to the west of the Columbia River. Most of the features you mention are on the east side. There are plenty of gravel roads on the east side, but they run past ranches. I have driven, for example, south along Moses Coolee from US2 to the Columbia.

There is sand bar with giant ripples opposite Crescent Bar near Quincy. That is best seen from hwy 28 just as it finishes the climb out of the Columbia. I don't know if you can see much of it from the otherside, say from Colockum Rd (which I tried and failed on March).

While skirting the south end of Lake Chelan, you could drive up Chelan Butte overlooking the Columbia.

paulj

Expedition Leader
That's a nice account of driving in this area. It gives a good sense of how the route was chosen, and how many choices there are along the way. Note that in a number of cases he had to detour or backtrack due to maintenance or fire fighting. In other cases he chose a route just because he hadn't been that way before. That's why I encourage the use of additional maps, books, and online resources.

Note his mile summary
Trip Summary:
Total Miles Driven: 671 miles (approximate)
Paved Highway: 95 miles (14%)
Paved County Roads: 158 miles (23%)
Paved Forest Service Road: 133 miles (20%)
Improved Gravel Forest Service Roads: 252 miles (38%)
Limited Maintenance Forest Roads: 33 miles (5%)

If you were new to the area, you might also want to detour from this route to look at the waterfalls along the Columbia Gorge, Mt St Helens (east side can be viewed via FS25), higher slopes of Mt Adams, Mt Rainier (north from Packwood), Leavenworth (for your touristy Bavarian items), Harts Pass (west of Winthrop) this highest gravel pass in the state, and Grand Coulee Dam to the east.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan