Washington Backcountry Discovery route (WABDR)

Haakon

Observer
Looks like a great trip, the Youtube videos really make me want to get out there and try some of these although some of those roads look a mite narrow for a full size!

Does anyone know if the route is still open? If it was mapped in 2006/2007 the state could easily have close off most of the roads. They never seem to give us more access, only less.

Awkragt

Adventurer
It won't be snow free for a few more weeks at least. I suspect in July you'll start to see some trip reports of people completing the route. The pieces I've been on are always open, middle of the route sections around manastash and bethel ridge.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
A few friends and I are planning on this near the end of August, VERY stoked on this trip. I picked up the DVD and the map last week, just watched it now. EVEN more stoked. It looks like a lot of scenic FSR, some techy sections, but nothing too gnarly. From what I understand this route is maintained and there are a number of groups that monitor and report on conditions. Mostly local WA Moto groups and 4WD clubs.

Pretty awesome!

stevec

Adventurer
Section 3 of the WABDR goes through the Table Mountain area, which was burned in the wildfires last year. The last I heard is that the Table Mountain area (normally open on June 15th after elk calving season) is gated and will not be open at all this year. This includes even the main FS roads. For the latest info, check with the Cle Elum RD, or Cle Elum Trails Off Road Team on FB. Also, I believe the Old Blewett Pass Road is still closed for bridge construction (this isn't part of WABDR). There may be a route east of Table Mountain that can get you through.

The closure is due to numerous dead trees (from the fires) that have not fallen; they expect it will be open next year as usual.

stevec

Adventurer
According to Mikki Douglas on their FB page, the Table Mountain area will be open after all. Mikki works for Cle Elum RD, so she'll know first hand. Based on this, I'm planning to take this route to the Overland Rally in Plain; I'll report back after the rally.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
According to Mikki Douglas on their FB page, the Table Mountain area will be open after all. Mikki works for Cle Elum RD, so she'll know first hand. Based on this, I'm planning to take this route to the Overland Rally in Plain; I'll report back after the rally.

Good news indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan