Watches - ExPo Style

arlon

Adventurer
I usually wear an old manual wind govt issue Timex that's in a plastic case. I got it about 20 years ago in a resale shop for $3, it still runs fine and I don't have to worry about finding batteries. I did have to get a new nylon web band for it about 10 years ago. Got the band for $7. That comes out to about $0.000057/hr and dropping daily.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Santa bring me one of these:

http://theawesomer.com/barigo-penta-55-watch/144549/

Only one thing is missing, there are no ilumination at all...

Stephan

Ooohhh... I do very much like that watch. Classic looks and a bunch of useful features.

I usually wear an old manual wind govt issue Timex that's in a plastic case. I got it about 20 years ago in a resale shop for $3, it still runs fine and I don't have to worry about finding batteries. I did have to get a new nylon web band for it about 10 years ago. Got the band for $7. That comes out to about $0.000057/hr and dropping daily.

WINNING!!

Kole

Adventurer
I just ordered a new Steinhart "Ocean Vintage Military". It's a homage to a specific limited production variant of the Rolex Sub from the 70's which I will never be able to afford (only about 1200 made, they auction for $100,000 apparently).

STEINHART_OCEAN_VINTAGE_MILITARY_FACE11.jpg
STEINHART_OCEAN_VINTAGE_MILITARY_FACE3.jpg

I'm a self proclaimed watch nut so this one hit all of the points for me:
>Styling - I love. I'm a fan of the sub.
>Price - I can afford it! that's important.
>Sapphire crystal lens
>It's a lesser known brand and just quarky enough for me and my collection.
>it looks great on a Nato strap!
>And lastly, it's Rated to 300m with a screw down crown. So it'll be plenty durable for me. The face says 200m but that's just because the specific Rolex it is designed after was rated for that. It's a true 300m watch.

I love the Submariner style but have yet to acquire the paycheck to afford one (not yet, but i will some day). I have followed the reviews of Steinhart for some time now and they are mostly all very good. Everything i've read says the ETA movement and craftsmanship is on par for $1,000+ watch. It's remarkable that they sell for just at $400 ($397 after euro to USD conversion and shipping). Ahh the benefits of retail from the manufacturer. No middlemen to mark it up.

It'll be about 3 weeks before it shows up, but I'll report back on if it lives up to the rumors and my expectation. I don't even have it yet and I'm already shopping for some nato straps.

Here's a great article for anyone interested. The same site has a plethora of great reviews for watches across all spectrum.

http://wornandwound.com/2012/03/21/review-steinhart-ocean-vintage-military/

arlon

Adventurer
That's a nice looking watch. I like watches with no dates! I hate spending 5 minutes in the morning setting the date on a watch. I have a few nice watches that just sit because it's easier to pick up an old 70's vintage disposable timex that just needs winding and time set.. Go figure.

RockyMtn303

I tend to really go through watches, so this is nice enough to enjoy it, but not too nice to cry when I add it to the long list of watches I've killed.

793ED254-6D07-439B-B9EA-0B6B255E7EDA_zpskdybfq5k.jpg

texascrane

Adventurer
Kole,
Please post an update once you get the watch. I've been thinking of picking one of these up but I just haven't quite been able to pull the trigger. I like the way it looks and it's right at about the limit of how much money I'm willing to have strapped to my wrist.

Kole

Adventurer
Texascrane, will do. I just got the order confirmation email this morning from Steinhart :). Just waiting on the tracking number.

aalbinger

Observer
One of my favorite things about the Seiko SKX007 are all of the parts available to customize it into your own personal watch.
E43e5Qm.jpg

My favorite watch to wear when out trekking about is the older Seiko 6309-7040
IGAUyGzl.jpg

fkYQr0jl.jpg

PoloTurbo

Observer
My saturation diver.

Love every bit of it. Amazing quality for the price.

Attachments

• orient-cfd0c001b0-10.jpg
    orient-cfd0c001b0-10.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 61
  • orient-cfd0c001b0-7-1.jpg
    orient-cfd0c001b0-7-1.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 488D56D0-0A94-490A-A22B-74E9F95AA411_zpsgwpue7xx.jpg
    488D56D0-0A94-490A-A22B-74E9F95AA411_zpsgwpue7xx.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20150123_164157.jpg
    20150123_164157.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 59

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
That orient is awesome. LOVE IT! I have to many things to collect. Watches, knives, motorcycles, Vehicles, Guitars, glasses. Damn. I need to work more!

Kole

Adventurer
Kole,
Please post an update once you get the watch.

Texascrane, it just came in today and initial impressions are great. The band feels quality and light. The links are screw in like nicer watches. The bezel rotates with a healthy hearty click but is smooth and the pip lines up with the numbers perfectly. My only gripe (which is small) is that the face looks more grey than black to me. Other than that I am very happy for only having it for 3 hours. We will see how it does in the long term. I seen no reason to think it won't hold up. I cant wait to see it on a nato strap!

06cdac52c270ebd523cb425f36479d23.jpg
fc3f459a7404197bd6ec3014ce28736d.jpg
05df461affeed753aec94f01c0aeaf77.jpg

texascrane

Adventurer
Thanks for the pics. That's a good looking watch. They apparently switched over the the greyish face at some point in the last couple of months. I think I like it personally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears