Water bottle shower?

CSG

Explorer
I can't remember where I saw this, maybe the Yahoo VanDwellers site, but someone mentioned using a water bottle with small holes punched in the cap as a real easy portable shower. I just took a water bottle and a small brad and punched holes in the cap and tried it over the sink. You know what? It works. You control the flow by how hard you squeeze. Seems like you need to repressurize about a third to halfway through by opening the cap and letting the bottle refill with air.

I imagine a quart bottle would be enough to get modestly clean (talking navy shower here) and refill as necessary to do a better job. The beauty of it is that you can squirt that bottle exactly where you need to without the encumbrance of a hose or a fixed location for the shower. Too damn cold to try it outdoors now but I will definitely give it a go this summer!

Obviously, for the minimalist camper.

NIVEK_TURK

Observer
I'am currently in Afghanistan and I've done this a couple of times. It really sux, so I had the wife send me a solar shower. The bottle works ok if you have about five or so.

KSJeep

Explorer
Actually it sounds like an interesting Idea, may have to look at it, as you said when the weather warms. Would be much less cumbersom than the 5 gallon hanging bags also.

Mamontof

Explorer
I can't remember where I saw this, maybe the Yahoo VanDwellers site, but someone mentioned using a water bottle with small holes punched in the cap as a real easy portable shower. I just took a water bottle and a small brad and punched holes in the cap and tried it over the sink. You know what? It works. You control the flow by how hard you squeeze. Seems like you need to repressurize about a third to halfway through by opening the cap and letting the bottle refill with air..

Yes that work like quick sink on side of quick base camp , idea http://http://www.instructables.com/id/Shower-Bottle-Caddy-and-Other-Plastic-Bottle-Stuff-1/

You can add 2 - 3 in chain and have capacity of 4 - 6 liters

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I've used that concept to wash my hair back in the day. Sadly I just use a Moist Towelette now:(

huskyfargo

Adventurer
Yeah baby wipe'n is'nt fun just pushes the dirtand grime around.

I think he meant it's sad because he probably doesn't have any hair left, which is the case for me too. I wouldn't have it any other way though. I can get cleaned up and ready to go in 10 minutes or less!:)

Mamontof

Explorer
Yeah baby wipe'n is'nt fun just pushes the dirtand grime around.

Hay about use large Medical alcohol pads , they work Great !!!

well if try safe money use mix 30% of vodka 30% Ethyl rubbing Alcohol 70% and 40% Isopropyl rubbing Alcohol 70%

It cost you all together $ 20 for 1/4 gallon , one week awry day full body clean :elkgrin:
Smell that other / sleep better:wings:

CSG

Explorer
I've got a 3 gallon solar shower but it's a nuisance. While I have most of my hair, I keep it short. I've been able to wash it in a variety of public restroom sinks. I also carry cleansing wipes and have used paper towels with a little sanitizer but being able to soap up and rinse is best. I think a quart/liter size water bottle should be great. What I really like is the idea of being able to wash your crotch and feet better than you can with a solar shower unless you have a really long hose so you can reach those areas.

Someone with long hair might not find this as attractive an idea. ;)

jsolorza

Observer
Ive done a few water bottle shower in Iraq, I eventually moved on to camel back shower which was better and usually enough water.

CSG

Explorer
Thanks for finding that video. That was the one I saw awhile ago but couldn't remember what he rigged up. You don't get a spray but the venting is clever.

wjeeper

For a few summers I lived in an old motor home without running water. The water bottle shower works pretty good but it just didn't feel like enough water to really get feeling clean.

Usually I used a couple of two liter bottles with a hole poked in the lid. Sometimes I just poured water on myself out of an old gallon milk jug. All I ever did to heat them was leave them out in the sun while I was at work.

Not to difficult to shower with less than a gallon of water once you get use to it......now actually showering in those tiny "phone booth" RV showers without constantly knocking your elbows thats a whole different story:sombrero:

Accrete

Explorer
I saw that video a while back also, and liked the idea. When i showed my McGirlver of a wife she liked it also but was concerned she would have to keep pressure on the bottle to _squeeze_ the water out. I might give it a go since it's such an easy inexpensive experiment at home.

I'm shaved bald by choice so i clean up easy also. I shave to scalp every-other-day by putting some Dr. Bonner Peppermint Soap up there and just walk around camp with the gillete gettin' on the shine.
Since we go on backwoods adventures quite often my wife has a cute spiked-pixie cut that is easy for her to manage unpluged and off-grid.

We use a 1 gallon garden sprayer filled with half cold / half hot water we've boiled on the camp stove and have it fairly well dialed in for comfort/convenience. I'm blessed cuz she is the one who dreams this stuff up in our camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears