Water Filtration / Purification

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I use a early version of what has become the miniworks. I'm not entirely sure what they changed, as the parts kits are the same for mine and the mini-works.....but....it is a very easy to use piece of equipment, just be sure to carry a seal kit for it. Mine quit working on me suddenly durning a backpacking trip last year...good thing there were 3 filters along for the trip. One thing I like about this filter over some others, is that the base screws directly onto most of the 1 liter polycarbonate bottles that are ever so popular on the trail...so you aren't trying to hold the filter above the water bottle while pumping water through it.....it's a nice feature.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I have used both. Both are good, but I personally prefer filters over purifiers. A bit of a taste thing for me.

For anywhere in US or Canada, I would pick a different version of the Sweetwater. There is a Sweetwater Microfilter that goes to 0.2 microns and flows about 1.5 l/min. Filter life is around 800 l. Perfect for less regular use and it's cheaper too.

I have a Katadyn myself right now. It's harder to pump and it's slower, but it's bulletproof.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
The Sweetwater I am looking at has the .2 micron filter and also uses a chlorine based solution instead of ill tasting iodine.

How much of a threat are viruses? Wondering how necessary a purifier is.

asteffes

Explorer
I always double-treat the water. Filter and iodine. It's not worth it to me to risk a virus ending a trip or otherwise making me or my party miserable.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Viruses are mostly of concern in developing or third world countries. Think of things like hepititus and polio, among other diseases. Those diseases are rarely, if never, found in high country US and Canadian water sources. The big consideration here is Protozoa and Bacteria. All protozoa (things like giardia) are bigger then 1 micron. Bacteria which cause sickness like the runs are usually 0.5 microns or bigger - however Campylobacter are around 0.3 microns.

There are also health risks assosiated with extended use of chemicals to purify because of their use of things like iodine to treat the water. If 100% of your water consumption is treated with iodine you can see related symptoms in as soon as 7 days. Not to mention the water just never tastes right. On the other hand, chlorine dioxide purification is not a bad choice and many high end purifiers do not leave the chemicals in the treated water.

So... weigh your options of where you are going to use the filter and make your choice. If you are going to be picking up water where you think viruses are going to be go with a purifier. If you are up in the mountains and the water is relatively "clean" to begin with, you only need a filter.

My two cents :elkgrin:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I have had the miniworks filter for years and have only used it a few times. Most reviews are really good for it though. I plan using it on a trip next week, based on Goodtimes' comment, I better check the seals.

Also, I really like taking powdered gatorade on trips. It masks the filter flavor very well!

Scott Brady

Founder
Great thread. Having clean water was one of the reasons I installed a 30 gallon water tank in the truck. I have also found water purification plants to be pretty easy to find in Mexico.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Chuck, take the seals. You were there when mine up and quit on the fish creek trip. It worked all day, then just stopped. Mine is also only a few years old (about 5), and had only been used on 4 or 5 trips (several times per trip).

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Always have iodine as a back up to a filter.

My new filter quit on day 3 of a 14 day trek in the Sierra's.

We boiled a ton of water.

We ran out of fuel on day 8.

We were lucky in our choices of places to water up. Only high, fast moving streams were sourced after day 8.

I also carry an extra folding water container just in case. That way when you do resupply, you can carry extra.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
For the MSR products I like the Miniworks since it will last for 2000 liters but it is only a filter, it uses a ceramic element. The Sweetwater will last for 800 liters using a paper based filter and becomes a purification system when you treat the filtered water with the chlorine solution.

I like the longevity of the Miniworks filter better and am thinking that I can combine it with the chlorine solution for when my only water source is stagnant non flowing water.

BillTex

Adventurer
The latest in filtration/purification

Thought I would revive this (very) old thread. Back in the day there were purification pumps (see earlier in this thread) and filters. Now it seems the pumps are all classified as "filters" and not purifiers?
What happened?

I would like to invest in a purification system but am not sure which direction to go?
I see some systems now endorse a pump "filter" backed up by purification tablets, and then there is steri-pen.

I know it is just my slow to comprehend brain...but I have a hard time guzzling water that has only been purifed and not filtered (all that pond scum floating around turns me off) so I kind of like the idea of filtering before purifying.

We have taken water from trail side puddles and alpine lakes/ponds that has been...well...cloudy...properly treated we have not got sick...but that brown water is just not appetizing!

I have also been with others that drank untreated water and got sick...not pretty when you are many days in the woods...

So what is the latest for clean and clear water?

Tx, Bill

86tuning

Adventurer
For backpacking, I'm using the MSR gravity works filter. Simple, ultra lightweight, no pumping, just wait a bit and water is clean and clear. I always drink from fast moving water, never from puddles.

I also use a camelback to carry my water, so water is filtered directly into the bladder.

If I'm concerned with viruses I'd dose with aquamira after filtering.

BillTex

Adventurer
For backpacking, I'm using the MSR gravity works filter. Simple, ultra lightweight, no pumping, just wait a bit and water is clean and clear. I always drink from fast moving water, never from puddles.

I also use a camelback to carry my water, so water is filtered directly into the bladder.

If I'm concerned with viruses I'd dose with aquamira after filtering.

For me; usually with a group and/or Scouts...gravity is slooowww....so a pump system is a must for me.
Usualy pumping into bladders also.

I don't like drinking from puddles...but sometimes..there is no other option...other than not eating/drinking.

Thanx for the input...will look at aquamira.
How long?
Any taste?

CaliMobber

Adventurer
If using tablets not need to use a filter unless the water looks nasty and your just filtering for looks. No filter will get virus but ive never heard of anyone getting a virus. Just be smart in your pickings and a basic msr will be fine. Like others have said bring some chorine tablets for back up if the pump breaks just to be safe. Ive drank straight from moving water plenty of times and been fine just need to be smart about it.

Safe drinking my friends :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan