Water Proof Duffels!

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I’m looking for a good water proof bag or duffle to put on a roof rack. I keep a lot of climbing gear and heavy stuff in the cab and want to move clothing tents and sleeping bag onto the roof. I have used a North Face base camp duffle but in driving rain water gets in the zipper. Anyone any suggestions, Experience or just good ideals? On and I know the good old doubled up Hefty trash bag trick already.

Biggs

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
rafter's dry bags are cheap and very durable. They make some really big sizes too. REI and a lot of stores have big selections.

Shiryas

Adventurer
Watershed

I have rafted for nearly 20 years and have had all kinds of drybags. Traditional roll down, zipper (like a dry top, the zipper did not even make it a year with only two short trips under its belt), and just recently Watersheds.

I bought four of them for my first Grand Canyon trip last year and they have held up great. You must pay attention to how you open them, DO NOT just pull on the tabs. Watershed explains this on the product ID card but some people just don't pay attention. Once you are used to it its second nature.

I still have a bunch of different bags and use the NRS roll down duffels for most other things but for the stuff I want dry, its either a Pelican case or the Watersheds.

Last edited:
I have used Ortlieb bags for years on the motorcycles and strapped to the roof of the truck. Get the kind with an opening the length of the bag, not just on one end.

wagoneercraig

Observer
Canoe and rafting dry bags are the ticket . You can go from a personal size for a wallet and camera to a duffel bag for a weeks worth of cloths . And you can find them at any outdoor store . That way you can actually see what your buying

XJCamper

SE Expedition Society
I have a couple of smaller roll down waterproof bags taht are great for clothes. As far as my sleeping gear; it goes in a large Military duffle bag. They are completely wterproof if folded down the correct way. Very inexpensive and durable. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/3486-STYLE-OLIVE-DOUBLE-STRAP-DUFFLE/dp/B001KKQ2LU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1299184222&sr=8-4"]Amazon.com: G.I. Style Double-Strap Duffle Bag: Clothing[/ame]
Any thing of real value that I need to be safe from the wet stuff goes in one of my Pelican cases.

AchillesBogart

Adventurer
http://www.seattlesportsco.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=33&idcategory=11

I swear by my seattle sports dry bags. They've stayed completely dry inside even when I've capsized my canoe. I take a small one backpacking so I can keep my clothes dry and it works great as a pillow too. I don't know if sierra trading still has them (its been almost 10 years since I got mine) but they used to sell the cosmetically defective ones at a pretty good discount.

climber-420

Adventurer
Watershed

tried and trusted by kayakers and boaters worldwide. look no further. they even make them for rifles(if ya need it). I own 3 different bags by them, and won't buy, or even try another brand.

UNI

Adventurer
Ryan_S Posted: Had two of these on the roof through 300 miles of driving rain and dust, not a speck of dirt or drop of water.

Like "Ryan_S" we to use the SealLine water proof bags. We've used them on top of the Jeep rack and on multi-day canoe trips. Great product and they do what they are suppose to do, keep your gear clean and dry.

UNI

kerry

Expedition Leader
About 25 years ago I converted from dry bags to plastic barrels. I've never regretted it. Have taken my barrels everywhere including the Grand Canyon and South Nahanni. Harcostar barrels are blowmolded and nice but I've also used the rectangular ones available from US Plastics. I bought my Harcostars in the UK for $5 each and the US Plastics ones were about $20. US retailers are way overcharging for the barrels. Barrels or drums are more durable than bags. My barrels get thrown around a lot and I don't have to worry about cactus spines. I use a 30 gallon barrel for light weight things like tents and sleeping bags and 15 gallon barrels for other stuff.

Mobryan

Adventurer
I have a huge (24"x24"x60")Cabela's bag that was given to me 10+ years ago, perimeter zipper with a double flap. It has held up remarkably well, having logged 1000's of miles full of gear and beer. Generally I use it as an over-bag, packing the inside with daypacks, duffles, coolers, ect. It's not water tight if you tossed it into a lake, but it's kept the insides dry on a 800 mile interstate run through hurricane weather, strapped to the reciever platform.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears