Water pump

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
My water pump is leaking. Should I change the whole pump or should I just change the gasket? This is the second water pump in the vehicle.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Is the gasket leaking or the pump? That will tell you what you have to change. Usually the pump will have a weep hole on the bottom that will drip if the pump is bad.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
usually new water pumps come with new gaskets. you might as well kill two birds with one stone.:elkgrin:

ExpoMike

Based on the info you have about the fluid change, if that mileage is on that pump, there is no question, I would replace it in a heartbeat if it is leaking anywhere. Most likely if original pump, so is the t-stat. I would replace that as well, flush the block and radiator and if the radiator is original, I would do it as well. Also replace the radiator cap with a new one as they get old and don't hold as much pressure and can cause overheating issues. Also replace all the hoses if they have more then 60,000 miles on it.

All of this fall under preventive maintenence and you don't want to just replace one old part to have another one in that system fail, which usually happens at the worst time. Since you have to drain the system anyways, do it once and be done with it for quite a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12