Water storage opinion

EverRidesurf

Observer
Does anyone have a good resource for a custom water tank. I have this idea of a three inch tall tank the size of my Fj cruisers rear floor (app 10 gallons). If this is not possible I also had an idea taken from other posts about multiple 3" PVC piping connected together in series. Let me know what you think. (I have a transfer pump and heat exchanger already installed).

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I had a buddy that is a sheet metal fabricator build a stainless steel tank for me to my design. Mine happens to hold 15-gallons but its just a dimensional thing for more or less. Mine is about 5" x 20" x 45" and sits flat in the second row of my LC (removed the seats). Then I strap three plastic containers atop the tank with all my trail gear (sleeping bag, food, stove, booze, etc.). This year was the second season with the tank and its just perfect for me!

EverRidesurf

Observer
This Is exactly what I was thinking. I was looking for flat water tank (s) that would sit in the rear cargo area. Then have storage on top. The purpose would be to eliminate the hump when the seats are are down for the sleeping platform.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Be careful with a flat water tank. Depending on how the pickup tube is, they can become useless pretty quick if the vehicle isnt parked perfectly level.

Honu

lost on the mainland
This tank doesnt fit in the FJC, because of the transmission "hump"

are you talking about the cargo area or the rear seat area ? I guess I thought rear seat when you said rear area :)

not sure whats on your rear seat floor area ? but this might be a cool setup

had also thought about this one behind my rear seat ?
http://www.equipt1.com/companies/Storage Solutions/product-fr/130868-water-upright-water-tank-50l

and again have to measure
the only other idea was to find something that would fit in that area of the back seat angle and my fridge since their is kinda a dead area back their
http://www.equipt1.com/companies/Storage Solutions/product-fr/130871-water-slant-water-tank-50l

if something like the above would work ?

I am used to my trailer carrying extra water for a family of 4 and we want to do some tent camping and how do I carry more water :) in the FJ since room is tight

Last edited:

xpdishn

Adventurer
home made custom

This is what I just built - 17 gallons

017.jpg

016.jpg

Works like a charm. 12v pump behind the rear driver side bulkhead. A faucet and quick disconnect for a shower.

0035.jpg

targa88

Explorer
The Front Runner Footwell water tank will not fit over the transmission hump (on the floor) between the front and rear seats. The cut out is not big enough.
If you want to lay it flat behind the second row of seats that could be an option.
In terms of the other tanks - although not ideal could be mounted in the rear cargo area ( behind the second row of seats)

Honu

lost on the mainland
The Front Runner Footwell water tank will not fit over the transmission hump (on the floor) between the front and rear seats. The cut out is not big enough.
If you want to lay it flat behind the second row of seats that could be an option.
In terms of the other tanks - although not ideal could be mounted in the rear cargo area ( behind the second row of seats)

bummer seems so close ? I was hoping to get to dry run one sometime though cause it would be perfect for my setup to get some extra water in their :)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
If the drivetrain tunnel is trapezoid in shape then maybe it will fit if you raise it above the floor by putting other gear underneath it. Just an idea I considered when I was also looking at these for my Montero. I ended up going with the Frontrunner Jerry Can Water container instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman