Water storage .Using a bed mounted fuel tank/tool box

wagoneercraig

Observer
Has anyone used a alum. fuel tank/tool box as a water storage tank ? I'm talking about the ones that slide in the bed of trucks that contractors use . Are there any issues with metal leaching ? I've started a trailer build " wandering wagoneer" on this site . Think this would work really well sitting on the tongue ?

Little Red

Adventurer
If you are planning on using this for drinking water or food preparation, I would stay away from metal toolboxes or fuel cans but if you only use it for showers etc. it would probably work. But I still would not recommend it.

There are chemicals in the metal that are not healthy for you that will be absorbed by the water, not to mention rust and left over fuel etc.
I would use a plastic container that is intended or deemed safe by the manufacturer for the purpose of storing drinking water.
Both RV and Marine stores will sell these.

Good luck on your build.

wagoneercraig

Observer
^^^ Thanks guys . Since i was thinking of buying new the only thing i was worrying about was the aluminum itself . . And since the latest fad for drinking is those alum. drinking bottles .
Great heads up . Give them a call and see .

wagoneercraig

Observer
Just got of the phone with RDSAluminum . We are good to go. As long as its clean and uncontaminated . They said that the marine industry uses Aluminum tanks in there vessels . Gitty up :wings:

chasespeed

Explorer
Yes, they do use aluminum tanks for water.....

BUT, the only problem I see with STORING that much water...

How fast are you going to consume it? Or, are you going to ration it for a LONG trip?

I would also look at TREATING the water. Bromine is used commonly. There is a system to this...... Just some thing to keep in mind... nothing worse than having 90 gals of water that you CANT use....

Chase

wagoneercraig

Observer
Thanks for all your responses , You guys are always proving that you are wealth of knowledge
To answere your concerns . These tanks I believe are designed to carry fluids safely ? I would think that it would have baffles that is expected from D.O.T.
Plus I'm not really intending on carrying 30galons nor storing water . But then again 2 adults 3 kids and a huge dog . I do imagine using my far share of water :)
As for water quality . I'll be emptying the tank after returning home . But I do imagine it wont be anything more than caring for an RV water tank ?
My ideas for this rig is to keep things as simple as possible . A cap on the top to fill it with and a spigot on the bottom to retrieve it .
Keep the ideas and concerns coming . I do appreciate all imput . Its nice making sure all bases the are covered before wasting time and money .

wjeeper

My old mans landscape company has used "L" shaped fuel transfer tanks for years. For drinking water I would steer clear of the steel units....they work great for diesel but would really quickly rust with water (and unleaded). I cant speak for any other units but the "L" shaped units, but we rarely felt the fuel sloshing in the tank, but we always heard it! A few baffels in the tank would certianly help with the sloshing noise. however you get use to it and you we never felt the slosh in the cab (granted this was in a 3/4 ton truck)

My $0.02 worth of rambling........what were we taking about again?? :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman