Water Tank Options?

JPShooter

Adventurer
Does anyone have any insight as to what the cons would be to using an aluminum fuel transfer tank (new of course, never used for fuel) as a water tank.

It just so happens that for my application and desires that the best option is to use one of these aluminum tanks vs. anything that I am finding in plastic.

I also figure that should my plans change later on I would have an easier time selling a transfer tank than a water tank.

So is there any reason based on materials alone to not use the aluminum tank over a purpose built plastic water tank?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Martyinco

Adventurer
The Navy uses aluminum for their water tanks, I don't see how there could be anything wrong with using one. My buddy builds them for a living, anywhere from 5 gallons up to several hundred, all out of aluminum, and that is my eventual plan for my trailer build as well.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
People worry about aluminum in their deodorant (probably well founded) and from other sources. But, there's a ton of aluminum around us all the time and it's used for water tanks on boats worldwide. We have a poly tank for potable water - drinking, cooking, brushing teeth. But, we've also got a 50 gallon aluminum tank we're installing for shower and cleaning water. My personal plan is not to drink the aluminum tank stored water, unless it's a need, but I am not worried about it. I have read, but haven't seen firsthand, that you should not clean an aluminum tank with chlorine bleach as it will create salts or some precipitate (smoo gunk?)... but that advice seems to be contradicted, so that's a bit confusing. It does seem that people like PuriClean powder for cleaning aluminum tanks.

wagex

Adventurer
only thing id be concerned with an aluminum water tank if used for drinking water it will develop corrosion and that will get in the water. the fuel they are designed to hold doesnt cause corrosion its actually a corrosion inhibitor something metal and made for water would have some kind of a liner or coating on the inside to avoid this. plastic tanks are pretty cheap.

rodrage

Adventurer
Was looking into the same issue. There was a container supplier that I found a few years back that actually added "food safe compliant" membrane coatings into aluminum containers. Most were shaped as smaller drums, but I'm sure someone has them coated for other purposes. I wanted capacity- but clearance was vital. My best option was to get some pretty common RV fresh water tanks... (If you find a wholesale supplier and the dimensions work, you can find most anything under $100 bucks), and add skid plates for mitigating punctures as the tanks will be on the underside of the rig. I'm using some scrap 1/4 aluminum sheet and wrapping the bottom side of the tank with a metal brake. I'm going to keep it pretty modular and bolt on, in case plans change after the build. Ended up with two new tanks- a 46 gal for @75$ and a 20 gal tongue shaped tank for 45$. The aluminum was 20$ and, of course, the additional time it will take on the brake to form the plates and straps for the tanks.

Good luck.

JPShooter

Adventurer
Thanks for the input folks, much appreciated!

I am probably going to go for an interim fix of using some water jugs until I have a couple of trips with my new rig in order to determine if the aluminum tank as a permanent solution is the way to go. All the input here has shown me that for my use the aluminum will be fine.

How I just need to determine how large a tank to go with. I'm probably going to go minimum 45 gallons as that would fit my space very well.

Thanks again :)

My Project:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/161611-My-M1101-Project

Robert Bills

Explorer
In the late 1960's and early 1970's many 5-gal. military water cans were made from aluminum [Painted on the outside, uncoated aluminum on the inside.] It is my understanding that these were used by the Marines in Vietnam for air drops where excess weight was a concern. They are much sought after but now extremely rare. I have 3.

No human or animal drinking from my military aluminum water cans during the 35 years I have owned them has become ill or has died from anything in the water.

Sure, exposure to certain metals and chemical compounds can present a health risk, but aluminum has low toxicity. As a practical matter there is little or no appreciable risk to health from the occasional use of an aluminum water tank for camping or overlanding.

tlrols

A NEW aluminum fuel tank may be used for storing water. Presumably you aren't dabbling in water with a pH around 13 or something crazy. If you are hauling around regular guy water with a pH around 7 an aluminum water tank would be fine. I would still filter it as a matter of course. A Brita would be fine for that. Just curious, have you looked into getting a stainless steel tank made for you? Its surprisingly inexpensive and seemingly very practical since it becomes a lifetime thing.

JPShooter

Adventurer
Thanks for the input, I'll have to do some checking around with local fabricators to see what they would charge for a stainless tank.

Last edited:

SnowDozerCJ5

Aluminum soda cans are coated on the inside. They sit on shelves and are carbonated with a lot of acidity. Aluminum is not the best material.. The outside will need painted and the inside should be coated or lined I think that route will be best. Chlorine and Chlorine based cleaners will corrode it but club pans and plenty of items do use uncoated aluminum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior