Water/weather-proof duffel bags for the roof.

Adventurer
Please write back :)

HI PSK,
Yes, I'll do that. My use may not test the duffel bag to its limits. It will be placed inside my Jeep most of the time. Given that it has clothes inside, I want to keep them dry. The best way is to not let the duffel come into contact with water. It's good water capability I see as a backup. After all, things can get out of control on an expedition. So, having two lines of defense seems prudent.

Sparky

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Here are some of the packs that I use. Pictured on the left, I have the Patagonia Blackhole bag (I have two of these) with one water resistant zipper down the middle of this potato shaped duffle with two straps that are attached and can be used like a backpack. This bag packs well in one open compartment and is easy to move around or strap down with the handles on either end of the bag. The material is lighter than the North Face bag but just as durable.

The North Face, bag pictured on the right, I have is the Base Camp Duffle in the large size. This bag has a clamshell lid that opens with a mesh zippered pocket under the top flap. On either end of this bag there are pockets on the interior that can help organize smaller items. On the outside of the Base Camp Duffle there are compression straps that also work for lashing other items to (like my Sage SLP 3pc 5wt fly rod and tube). This bag has handles at either end like the Blackhole bag and one over the top for a traditional duffle look. If you want to carry this bag like a backpack it has shoulder straps that are removable. Both TNF and Patagooch I would say are highly water resistant, throw them overboard in to a rapids and it may take 10 min or so before the contents get wet. They have leaked on long trips strapped to the roof in deluges, but nothing that would end a trip (like spilling half an 8oz beer on your pants). I would not use them for sensitive electronics or such.

I also have a Cascade Designs portage pack that is designed like the traditional Duluth packs but made out of the dry bag material and with the roll top it keeps all my gear dry. It is less desirable as a bag for carrying on the roof because of all the extra straps and buckles that this pack has making loading and unloading awkward.
P5290044.jpg

Arvin G

Observer
I've been using the dry bags for a while to store my sleeping bags in when I had a tacoma. Stuff them in and toss them in the bed. Now they go on the roof rack and have absolutely no problem. I recently bought the ARB bag that is top loading. I was a little worried as it didn't roll up as easily as the standard dry bags but a trip home in the rain didn't even phase it. Not a drop inside.

BTW I use pelican cases too. Just as effective but a lot more weight.

IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

Triumphdog

Adventurer
I too use the Seal Line dry bag. They've never failed me. A few weeks kayaking Maine, a week in the Florida Everglades, and a month in Crestted Butte CO. I've owned the bag for about 10 years. The bag doesn't have a single tear, or wear spot in it. I may try THF bag for the simplicity of a zipper. Otherwise I highly reccomened Seal Line.

mmathews

I have used a Watershed bag in my kayak and it has worked great. They are made here in Asheville, so it was the logical choice for me.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Would a single, large bag work? I have used the large Sherpak with great success. Well made and designed with no dust or water ingress issues. It is large, but can be cinched down quite a bit when merited. I believe there are few sizes available. Unless you need portability, it offers a lot more room for less money than the North Face bags, which are excellent, btw.

pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gif034215.jpg

GFA

Adventurer
I'll second the cabelas dry duffles. We used two of them when we were big into boating. On long trips, we stored extras in them and strapped them to the bow of the boat. Salt spray, downpours, etc. never a leak. I haven't much needed them since selling the boat because I bought the xl sizes but I'm going to order some smaller ones the next time they're in the bargain cave.

FishAll50

Catching the Dream
We are kayakers and I have several sets of REI and Sealine bags and have had good success with both. When we travel w/o kayaks, I still use these for items I don't want to be exposed to weather and feel comfortable leaving them around the campsite/on the roof/etc. knowing things will be protected. BTW, my REI bags are 15 (?) years old - I assume they are mfg'd for REI by some major brand but are only marked "REI".

Oyster9

Observer
I too are a fan of the watershed bags.
They have a seal like a ziplock bag.
Bar none the driest.
For roll top bags, I like the ones made by jacks plastic welding.
Jack is a fine fella, and puts out great products.
Hope this helps.

Pax2525

Adventurer
I rode a dual sport from CA to AK and used a TNF duffel on the back and it did amazing!! I was never disappointed with it, even when being dumped on in British Columbia. Would love to have an excuse for buying a 2nd one but the 1st one still is great. My wife always tries to steal it for her trips.

The North Face Basecamp Duffels are not truly waterproof, but the heavy PVC fabric will never wet-through. It's highly unlikely your stuff would get wet even in a pretty stout run of rain in one of those duffles. I was speaking with one of the product designers at TNF who isn't responsible for these duffels, but he was quick to say, it's the best product they make, and maybe ever made. They sure are copied a bunch. Not long ago one of TNF's sponsored snowboarders kicked a Basecamp Duffel off a mountain in Alaska. It fell a few thousand feet and looked good as new.

I met a guy in Alaska who rode his BMW from Argentia with a Basecamp Duffel strapped to his moto. He said it worked better than anything else he had tried.

I wouldn't even say they're expensive for what they are. I think they're a crazy bargain.

Mobryan

Adventurer
I was given a big (54-60") cabela's bag as a graduation gift. Still works great, even after 13 years and 500,000+ miles. It's been strapped on top of, hung under or carried in everything from a canoe to a Freightliner. It's not truely waterproof, since it just has a flap over the zipper, so you can't submerge it, but it kept the contents dry while stuffed in the spare tire rack of my semi while driving though the remenents of a hurricane. Can't say much more then that.

Matt

Mtn Mike

Observer
Well, I can report on a roof-top bag that's NOT waterproof, but still works okay; the Yakima GetOut. I picked one up a few years ago for my road trips. I would have gotten Yakima hard case but ruled it out because of the limited clearance of my garage and I thought the soft bag would be easier to install and remove.

The GetOut cost $100 which was significantly less than a new rooftop box. The bag has plenty of room for various pieces of luggage. I like that the bottom and sides are padded. The padding protects gear while at the same time helping the bag hold it's shape. The exterior is made of durable rubber coated fabric, which itself looks waterproof. Unfortunately the bottom of the bag is made of a soft and porous fabric which is not waterproof. After several weeks of driving in the "rainy season", I started to detect moisture in the bottom of the bag. I presume the moister seeped up from the bottom of the bag, as opposed to leaking through the rubberized top section. Another downside is that it's not particularly easy to install, compared with a modern roof top box. I'm currently looking to replace this with a Yakima box which appears to be easier to put on and take off, and would be completely waterproof.

0e14e87a-a833-4e30-8724-f044160dede5.jpg
317064_10150338860799855_379206803_n.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998