Waterproof Digitals

Scott Brady

Founder
My little sony waterproof (my first ever digital actually) died, so I am looking for a rugged camera to toss in a bag, take spearfishing, etc.

Light and rugged and at least 4mp. Don't care about much else.

A couple I am looking at:

Olympus Stylus 720 SW, 7.1 Megapixel, 3x Optical/5x Digital Zoom, Shock Resistant & Waterproof, Digital Camera (Blue)

Sealife ReefMaster DC600, 6.1 Mega-Pixel, 3X Optical Zoom Plus 4x Digital Zoom, Underwater Digital Camera - Rated up to 200'

Anyone have other suggestions they like?

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
The Canon elph's nearly all have underwater housings available for about $150. A little bulkier, but the cameras are very well built and the housings are bullet proof. Gives you all access to every function too.

Given the quality of the images the little Canon's produce, I think this setup is excellent (magazine quality images can come from these little guys (I had a cover of LR Monthly with my 3.2 megapixel Elph and it looked great).

My two cents ...

pwc

Explorer
I second the Canon SD series with a cover. it is bulkier though, but not a lot.
I used one for a week on vacation in Mazatlan and it saw use everyday at the pool and in the ocean/sand (which is more of what I got it for). Then a rafting trip in Costa Rica with no ill affects. It's been great.

Hmmm...the Reefmaster is actually about the same bulk, but I'd bet the Canon has more options. BTW, video with audio works fine with the case on.

I think it's good to 50'? So it has more depth than that Olympus.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
x3 for the Canon with the waterproof case. Much more versatility and it takes great pics.

I like Olympus cameras too, but they have one major flaw in my opinion = the data card. They use that darn Olympus card instead of a standard SD or CF. It is a max 10 feet though. Anytning deeper then that requires an external case anyways. You might want to read this review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/stylus720_pg5.html

Sorry - don't know anything about the Reefmaster.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
DaveInDenver said:
Anyway, the P&S camera that people seem to be using in outdoor circles is the Pentax Optio S6 or the newer replacements, W10 and W20. Supposed to be the gnat's behind for mountaineering and kayaking, so it'll probably do what you want.

FYI: I had a very poor experience with the Optio S7. Strongly suggest avoiding it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
mountainpete said:
FYI: I had a very poor experience with the Optio S7. Strongly suggest avoiding it.
Good thing Scott asked, I was considering one because people seem to have pretty good luck with them. A guy here in Denver, Marek Uliasz, straps them to his kayaks and I guess they hold up to that.

pwc

Explorer
I've known people to have short battery life's with the A series (AA batteries I think). The SD line has always done me well, although my wife experienced a lens ailure (fixed under warranty) while she was on a trek, which was unfortunate. That was with the SD 700IS. Our SD630 has never given us a problem, but this is one person's experience.

It doesn't look like you can get a case for the newer SD 800 or 900 yet.

And for a charger, I've found this one to be handy.
lcc_d.gif

It says it'll do a 915 which I think the GL1 takes. It'll do a BP511 as well as up to the NB4L, which is up to the SD630. the 700,800 and 900 all take a NB5L, which requires another charger.
I'm just trying to point out you might be able to simplify things with one charger. My wife used this one on the 3 week trek to power her camera and 3 other Canons (mostly all BP511) with a 20W solar panel and it never failed them.

Just some thoughts. I see you're getting a Burton solar panel? which model?

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
mountainpete said:

I have the Pentax Optio WP series that I think Dave is talking about, which I think is different than the S7. It is popular with the outdoor crowd, it's small and waterproof to only 8? ft, and no retracting lens mechanism makes it fairly durable. Picture quality suffers because of that, lots of lens flares and ghost spots when using the flash at night, and not as sharp as the Canons. I thought I could sacrifice the picture quality for the robustness, but now I'm regretting that decision. I do like the fact that I feel like I don't have to baby it as much, it is something that you could throw into a bag and not worry about it. I think Casio? or Sony? came out with a similar camera with the same specs.

The Canon's take pretty decent pictures, but before you purchase be sure to search for the "Canon E18" error. I've already had two cameras (S330 and S400) fail within 18 months because of that, and know a few friends with the same problems. It seems to be a common problem across their whole line of cameras, and you're SOL if it happens, because Canon will not warranty it, even if it shows no sign of abuse.

Last edited:

pwc

Explorer
And to counter that, I got a camera fixed with that error under warranty from Canon, so I doubt the SOL comment. Although at the time you might be SOL.

My daughter dropped another (yes, I have too many cameras) and all you had to do was push on the lens to get it back in. There's also instructions for taking the camera apart and fixing it yourself, if it's out of warranty.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Scott I have the Olympus that you reffered to. I use it for all my paddling and snorkeling trips. Great camera I love mine.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
pwc said:
And to counter that, I got a camera fixed with that error under warranty from Canon, so I doubt the SOL comment. Although at the time you might be SOL.

That's pretty good for you, I don't think I've heard of anyone else getting it fixed under warranty, but i suppose the success stories aren't posted as often. I tried for 3 days with no success, they basically told me all they could do was charge me $200+ and they'd give me a refurbished camera. This is just one of the sites I ran across when researching the error.

http://e18.bitnet.cx/comments.php?full=1

I've tried the self-fix on one of the cameras, but didn't work, and I didn't bother trying it on the other.

I still like Canon cameras, I'm still debating whether I want to risk my money on the S3 IS, but let's just say I'm a lot more cautious now when buying them. I'm going to wait to see whether the problems have been fixed yet if i decide to purchase.

Last edited:

jeff@work

Adventurer
I have the olympus 720 sw and I'm really happy with it. I really like the fact that it is water AND shock proof (also supposed to be dust proof i believe) without the need of an extra case. Mine has been through more than it's fair share of crashes and rain storms while attached to the handlebars of my mountain bike plus a few kayaking trips without any problems (knock on wood!).

A few of the things i don't like are...

the usb cable is a special olympus one so you can't just use any usb cable you have lying around.

the video on it only records at 15 frames per sec as opposed to 30 most cameras shoot at.

it won't shoot the rapid repeat at the full 7.1 mp...i can't remember what it reduces it to but it's at least half that.

doesn't have optical image stabilization.

Other than that i really like it!

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I use an S80, which I think has been discontinued. Same general setup of a Canon compact in a waterproof housing though. It works really well.

158842706_fe8df1638a.jpg

168304815_14115f90d1_b.jpg

Last edited:

pwc

Explorer
I got back a repair quote on the camera my wife dropped off the counter (broke the LCD and control wheeL). $137 includes tax and shipping. Cheaper than a new camera.

And maybe I talked about the lens error too much!! I used the camera this weekend on a day of wheeling and it died after the last movie I wanted to shoot. Lens makes a click but doesn't extend and gives a general "Lens error, restart camera". I've tried the normal battery out stuff, but it sounds like a gear is missing its catch point.

Soooooo....we'll see if Canon repairs this under warranty or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan