Waterproof Digitals

Scott Brady

Founder
I like this one :)

158842706_fe8df1638a.jpg

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
of the "under $200 canons" what do you think is best. I was looking at the sd600 or 630. Is there any advantage to go with the more expensive 630 or 700 over the 600??

pwc

Explorer
This might help, or maybe not
Canon Compare

THe 630 has the larger LCD and no view finder. otherwise it is pretty much the 600. The 700 has image stabilization as does the 800. The 700 has 4X zoom. The 900 and S80 offer 1024x768 video at 15fps. The 900 has twice the pixels on the LCD than the 900. The S80 is pretty bulky but offers a time lapse mode??? The S80 uses the NB-2L battery while the the 5L is about 75% more milliamp hours, thus longer time between charges.

just some thoughts.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
sounds like you know what your talking about!! Yikes!
I think the sd600 will be good for what I want. I just wanted a tiny camera to put in my camelback for hiking, biking, dirt biking or walking around town with it in my pocket!
If I ever want to get into photos more I'll get a digital rebel or something.
Thank you!
BTW: check out www.fatwallet.com The best price I've found so far for the 600 is 189.00

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
We have the S80 (mine) and the 630 (hers). I like my display better - brighter and better frame rate. Although hers is bigger and nicer for playback. I like the construction and portability of hers a little better than mine. Mine seems to have much better battery life than hers - although she does walk around with it on at events. Mine has wider angle lens, more manual controls. Image quality is great on both. Tennis balls don't follow us.

robert

Expedition Leader
I've got a Pentax Optio 33WR that I bought when they came out. I figured it ought to hold up to the dust where I was heading as well as be usable on my kayak when I got back. So far it's survived a year and a half in Iraq, getting bumped around in the truck and while mountain biking and numerous splashings while kayaking (including being dunked on more than one occasion). The picture quality is decent enough but certainly not pro quality. The downside is terrible movie quality, short battery life (luckily is uses AAs), limited actual zoom (I pretty much refuse to use digital zoom), and only 3.2 megapixels. I'd say I've gotten my money out of it though.

I've also got an Olympus C5050 with the Olympus waterproof housing for it. It takes good photos but it is very bulky when it is in the housing. It's also not super durable, I had to send it back for repair after I dropped it and the lens refused to come out. They had good warranty work though and I got it back quickly.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I will add to this thread as well. Just saw it after replying to another thread. The new Pentax W30 seems nice. They upped the depth rating. I had found that the W20 had a 40M housing made by seatool.net. Hopefully the W30 will also have a housing made. That way I could use it for a tough land and surf camera and then use the housing for Snorkeling (I tend to do lots of deep freedives) and Scuba Diving.

The Olympus 720 SW (I think) was just updated to a depth of 30 feet.\

popphoto just did a camera shoot out where the Pentax Otpio W20 won over the olympus.

http://www.popphoto.com/popularphotographyfeatures/3552/underwater-camera-shootout.html

paulj

Expedition Leader
robert said:
I've got a Pentax Optio 33WR ..., short battery life (luckily is uses AAs), limited actual zoom .....

AA lithium batteries should give you good battery life. I use them in my 43 while traveling, reserving rechargeable metal hydrides for use around home.

paulj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior