waterproof jackets

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
So I am in the market for a new jacket. I am looking for something non insulated and must have pit zips. It is warm down here in Fl so light and breathable is the key. My current jacket is a 3 layer gortex North face that is still a good jacket but at 9 years old I am feeling like it is time for a new one LOL!

I am considering a Marmut minimalist jacket but am unfamiliar with the performance and reliability of paclite gortex. So feedback would be good

http://marmot.com/spring_2009/mens/outerwear/shells/minimalist_jacket

off-roader

Expedition Leader
So I am in the market for a new jacket. I am looking for something non insulated and must have pit zips. It is warm down here in Fl so light and breathable is the key. My current jacket is a 3 layer gortex North face that is still a good jacket but at 9 years old I am feeling like it is time for a new one LOL!

I am considering a Marmut minimalist jacket but am unfamiliar with the performance and reliability of paclite gortex. So feedback would be good

http://marmot.com/spring_2009/mens/outerwear/shells/minimalist_jacket

Wait, you're saying you have a Northface that lasted you 9 years and you're only replacing it because it's old (not worn out) why would you seek a different brand? ;)

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Wait, you're saying you have a Northface that lasted you 9 years and you're only replacing it because it's old (not worn out) why would you seek a different brand? ;)

It is not the same company it was 9 years ago imo. Probably a perception issue but it fits into the same catagory as Patagucci lol!

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
...Patagucci lol!

That right there is funny stuff!
:sombrero:

It seems the wave of popular appeasement is overriding the desire to have a niche product - ie Abercrombie and Fitch. Can you imagine the looks on the faces of the original founders if they were able to see what their 'mercantile' had transformed into? I wish they had just picked a new name rather than desecrating an outdoor axiom. I can only assume the drive for quicker dollars using an established name to build lower quality yet greater profitability goods is worth runing a reputation. At least for some...

jham

Adventurer
i have a mtn hardwear paclite gortex and love it. It has taken everything I've thrown at it.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well i finally got off my you know what and scored a jacket. Steep and cheap put out a Marmot Oracle jacket yesterday for a steel so I snagged one. I figure it was cheap enough to give it a try. Pit zips precip plus removable hood. Hoepfully it will breathe! I get it Thursday so I'll follow up then.

Marmot Oracle Jacket

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm a buyer for a large backcountry store. It's my job to seek it out, put in on the shelves and hope it moves.

My suggestions:

Budget piece: Marmot Precip Jacket. This thing is the stalwart of the light shell world. At $100 it's really awesome. Taped, breathable, full features. Nice.

Exotic: Arc'teryx Alpha LT jacket. Probably doesn't get any better than this. While most people want a full zipper, I am drawn to the Alpha SL Pullover in the sweet anorak version. Super light at only 11 ounces.

Ultra, Ultra Light: The North Face Triumph Anorak. This is my personal choice for everything backcountry travel that doesn't involve snow. At a tad over 5 ounces, you just WILL NOT find anything lighter. This is the zenith in terms of simplicity and efficiency. Mine would easily fit in the cargo pocket of a pair of shorts!!

Bread and Butter piece: Patagonia Storm Lite Jacket. At $200 this is a classic. Well made. Simple and proven construction.

There's lots of others out there. Almost too many. Personally, if the TNF Triumph Anorak appeals to you....which it really should....hold out until Spring 2010. The newer version will be even better with an even lighter material.

cruisertoy

Explorer
My Marmot Precip has lasted for 5 years and several 10 day trips with solid rain in Western Alaska. I'd buy another.

Ruffin' It

Explorer
....... So.......you guys hiring?........

Seriously, how many times has that been the reaction when you tell people in these circles that is what you do?

I'm a buyer for a large backcountry store. It's my job to seek it out, put in on the shelves and hope it moves.

My suggestions:

Budget piece: Marmot Precip Jacket. This thing is the stalwart of the light shell world. At $100 it's really awesome. Taped, breathable, full features. Nice.

Exotic: Arc'teryx Alpha LT jacket. Probably doesn't get any better than this. While most people want a full zipper, I am drawn to the Alpha SL Pullover in the sweet anorak version. Super light at only 11 ounces.

Ultra, Ultra Light: The North Face Triumph Anorak. This is my personal choice for everything backcountry travel that doesn't involve snow. At a tad over 5 ounces, you just WILL NOT find anything lighter. This is the zenith in terms of simplicity and efficiency. Mine would easily fit in the cargo pocket of a pair of shorts!!

Bread and Butter piece: Patagonia Storm Lite Jacket. At $200 this is a classic. Well made. Simple and proven construction.

There's lots of others out there. Almost too many. Personally, if the TNF Triumph Anorak appeals to you....which it really should....hold out until Spring 2010. The newer version will be even better with an even lighter material.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well I got my jacket yesterday. I really like it. I Broke it in yesterday while out in a total Florida downpour. Unlike my retired trusty N.F. jacket the outer layer did not get saturated. The water just simply beaded up and rolled off. Even though it was 90 degrees, I was able to wear it for almost an hour before I started to sweat a bit. Thanks to the generous pit zips this jacket has great core venting. This jacket also has a huge hood. It had no problem covering my big noggin and my baseball cap.

On first observation if I could do anything to improve it, I would have a little longer body as to cover alteast my pants pockets. Similar to the precip trevalers jacket. I would also add a light mesh where the pit zips are just to prevent trail debris from getting in. But since i got for only $38 I will not complain. Overall another really great Marmot product and one heck of a deal from sttep and cheep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan