waterproof jackets

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I replaced all of my NF, Patagonia, Spyder and HH gear with a classic...

The Barbour International.

I'm not going back, I love the thing. Waterproof for 2 hours on my bike at 50mph is enough to convince me.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Arcteryx Theta AR had it for 5 years and still looks new, before that was a NF with a zip in Nike ACG that I still have while not so water replant a couple DWR treatments a year keep it good.

Aaron

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well just an update on the Oracle jacket. So far so good. Over the past few months I have been using it off and on but we have had a dry year until the past week. So far it has been doing a good job of keeping my warm and dry .I was out yesterday afternoon in a good solid rain for about 2 hours. Temps dropped into the low 50's and I was dry. :wings: So far I am very happy with my $48 Oracle jacket. I am hoping it will give me many years of great service.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Unlike my retired trusty N.F. jacket the outer layer did not get saturated. The water just simply beaded up and rolled off.

Have you tried treating your older jacket with Nikwax? It will bring the beading back. I used it on my old Solstice Gore Tex jacket, it's maybe 10 years old, and it beads like new again.

My favorite jacket is my Arc'Teryx Alpha SV.

Dave

Ruffin' It

Explorer
North Face dipped in quality in the mid 90's, but anything recent by them is good stuff. They are worth a look. Except their shoes. Their shoes are worthless.

It is not the same company it was 9 years ago imo. Probably a perception issue but it fits into the same catagory as Patagucci lol!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
North Face dipped in quality in the mid 90's, but anything recent by them is good stuff. They are worth a look. Except their shoes. Their shoes are worthless.
I could not agree more with regard to their shoes. Our rep showed me the entire line last summer and I found all of 2 shoes I was willing to consider to purchase for the store. This out of 100+ models. Blah. I have never seen such an ugly line of low quality shoes.

I also have to admit that some of their offerings aren't so super anymore. Maybe that could be attributed to the fact they're owned by Vanity Fair, but their designs are aging. Quality seems slightly better than average with some not so great moments.

Sirocco

Explorer
We use Mountain Equipement paclite goretex jackets, they are excellent. ME is a UK company who have not been around as long as most, but certainly worth a look for those folks over this side of the pond. Well designed, well made kit.

Other NF kit i have seems reasonable. nothing to shout about, but solid kit none the less. my fav. are Cypher windstopper softshell and Nuptse down vest... but thats going off topic!

Not been on this earth long enough to discuss 9 year cycles :)

G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior