waterproof pants?

i,m looking for a new pair of hunting pants. absolute waterproofness is the key. but, i also want them to fit like my favorite pair of jeans. does such a thing exist?

i have a pair of fleece pants from cabelas now that do ok, but they still temd to hot unless it's really cold outside. i would also like some thing that is pretty touhg to stand up to the abuse of hunting. thanks in advance.

rynosurf

Adventurer
How about the military issued Gortex pants? They are just a shell but are tough, the pockets pass through so you can get to things in the pockets of your other pants, they have large zippers at the bottom for pulling them on over boots, they breathe and best of all they are camo! I have seen them at the surplus store by my house for $85, they are used but if you look through them you can find a pair that looks brand new.

htchmn

Observer
Look at Filson they have a large range of pants that might fit your needs.
Their Foul Weather rain pants or bibs are light weight and made to wear over your normal pants. Their oil finish pants are great and nearly indestructiable.
If you like bibs the double hunting bibs are also great.

refried

Adventurer
I've never gotten wet wearing anything made from Gore-Tex XCR or Pro-Shell and I highly reccomend anything made from it. XCR may be a little noisy for hunting but the new Pro-Shell is much quieter. I've been wearing Arcteryx outerwear for the last few years and am very happy with thier stuff, It's not hunting gear but if a pair of black bibs or pants (shells) keep me dry all day snowboarding in the rain I'm sure they'll keep you dry in the woods.

i'm definetely fond of the filson stuff and have considered them in the past. maybe i just need to go that route. do you have any experience with there products?

i really dont need a dedicated "hunting" pant so i may give the other manufactures like arcteryx, mountain hardware, patagonia a try. if i could find waterproof first, durability second, and quiet third, i'll buy from any manufacturer.

thanks for the suggestions. i will che ck them out.

htchmn

Observer
Lots of experience with Filson, first acquainted with the brand when I lived in
Alaska in the 70s and they were sold at Northern Commerical dept store where I worked, very popular with workers on the Alaska Pipeline. I currently use their luggage, shoes, socks, pants, sweaters and outerwear.
For hunting and general everyday wear the oil finish tin cloth pants will keep you dry. Their guarantee also can't be beat if you have a problem with an item send it back they will replace it, I have even asked them to send me some of the tin cloth in the past to repair an old favorite coat that I tore because I was worried if I sent it back I would have gotten a new one in return instead of that one repaired. My only complaint is that in the past all their items were made in USA and now some are imported.

won't keep you guys long and hate to bring up an old post but.....

these pants are definetly good to go. have put quite a few days on these in the brush and they have worked quite well. they are a tad hot but not overbearing on these cold winter days we've been having. recomended

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I will only dress in layers. That includes pants.

For waterproof outerwear, I REALLY like my Frog Toggs.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/

While they are not very abrasion resistant, they are 100% waterproof, breathable, quiet, and super light weight.

Cheap too. I think my top and bottom set ran me less than $40 :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior