Wavephf's American Hilux build thread

Wavephf

Observer
Sorry I have missed a few new post.
To answer a few questions;
Floor pan. The floor pan is mostly 4runner. I just used some scrap sheet metal to mate the rear of the 4runner floor pan to the back of the cab. I also had to make a small patch between the lower rear door seal and the 4runner floor pan.

Rear doors I never did build new panels. I used the 4runner panel but had to change a few things. I shortened it up a little and relocated the lock pull handle from the front to the rear. I still need to make some adjustments because I have to hit the lock button twice for the rear door to lock and unlock. I relocated the lock handles to the rear because it was easier than trying to make the bell-crank and long rods to work with the truck latch. The small patch of sheet metal that isn't covered by the 4runner door panel just has a piece of sound deadening material stuck on there. The power window tracks and motor all use the 4runner portion of the door. The only thing I changed was the quarter windows which I used lexan.

Wheelbase I didn't really base the wheel on the pickup but it ended up that way when I was done. I had a drive shaft built to fit the wheelbase when I was done. Most of the extended cab pickups have a 2 piece drive shaft and I didn't feel like mounted a carrier bearing so I went with a 1 piece shaft. I have a vibration in shaft so I may need do something different.

Finishing Parts Once I got the truck from paint I took a week off work and probably spent 6-10 per day working on it. I Spent 2 days on wiring, I tried to prewire for all of my current accessories and any future accessories while I had the interior stripped. I had to change the wiring to the rear lights the 4runner has two harnesses and the truck had one. The seats only required a little fab to work but I didn't install the latches for the back section of seat. I just keep the seat belts buckled when no one is riding or the rattle a little bit.

Time I really have no idea how much time I have in the truck. A few hours here and many hours there. I'm guessing over 200 hours but I'm not sure.

Worth it? That's a loaded question. I could have bought a double cab Tacoma and saved a lot of time and had less modification that could go wrong later. But I now have a legal Toyota Hilux in the USA. I think it was worth it for me because I was able to do most of the work myself. If someone just needed a 4 door truck than no.

The other day I went to the Toyota dealership to get some parts for my other truck and the salesman asked me if I wanted to trade in my truck on a new one. I just smile and walked away shaking my head. Then a customer looking at a brand new Tacoma asked me if I imported my truck. The salesman still didn't understand what was different about my truck. It always feels good when someone double-takes when I'm driving down the road or questions how I imported it.

Thanks for the compliments.

ok, well that does answer quite a few of my q's... in hindsight, if you could have, would you have put the 4runner/cab onto an extracab frame instead of stretching the wheelbase? That's the part of this build that has me scratching my head. How did you figure out your suspension geometry? Has stretching the links caused any problems? Do you think you would still have the vibe if you used a 2 piece shaft? In my head it makes sense to make a 2 piece shaft with the carrier bearing far enough forward that the driveshaft and the lower link are parallel, but that's with no education on how the geometry should work. I may just have to write a whole list of questions out for you! I'm probably overanalyzing a lot of the "problems" associated with this, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Last edited:

Wavephf

Observer
The the geometry is slightly different from stock because I made longer arms. With the longer arms the bushing are at a slight angle. It is not the best set up but I haven't had any issues with the rear end at all. The other day I removed my 4" lift and reinstalled the ball joint spacers and removed the rear coil spacers. When I realigned it the rear end is about an inch off center because I don't have an adjustable track bar. I keep thinking about solid swapping the front with a 3 link and coil overs. if I do that I might do a 3 link setup in the rear. This would allow me to have even longer arms without relocating the gas tank.

The driveshaft vibration is most likely caused by the double carden joint I used in the front of the drive shaft. It was used and I didn't rebuild it before I had the shaft built.

If I didn't mind a shorter bed I could have saved a lot of work by keeping the wheel base the same. I could have bobbed the front of the bed into wheel wells and leave the 4runner wheel arches in place. This crossed my mind when building but I like my bed space.

Oh ok. Are you talking about the bushings at the front by the brackets you moved? i know exactly what you mean about bed space, Id have to do it the same way. i really am thoroughly impressed and hope you don't mind if I emulate your project a bit for mine and pick your brain along the way!

I did a quick Photoshop and ya know what, it doesn't look half bad! this may be an alternative! though it may be a case of if your going to do the work, just do it all the way right?

Attachments

• runner.jpg
    runner.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 48

Wavephf

Observer
Yup thats a pretty good look at what it would look like in a shorter version. I think that version would do better 4wheeling than mine. I have notice the lack of weight in the rear make it hard to climb up some trails.
My first idea was to chop the roof off the 4runner and cap off the back. Its fairly common to see 4runners like this. The problem is making it look nice.

Yea I'm thinking that the easy route is going to leave me with too small a bed... Would you mind taking some pics of your rear suspension and driveshaft?

dsal_86yota

Observer
Love your truck. Im in Canon City also. Have seen your truck before. I thought it was a imported Hilux also. But it looks awesome. I have a 86 pickup x-cab. Great seeing more local Toyota rigs.

Wavephf

Observer
Just saw this... impressive... that took some work!

Thank you. It Definitely was a time consuming process and continues to be a work in progress as stuff breaks and gets upgraded. I recently installed the Total Chaos Idler arm.

Total Chaos Caddy Idler Arm install - Toyota Pickup 4runner hilux

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle