We do things differently in the uk! My vw transporter camper

neilstubbs

See below for responses:

Hi Neil, I wanted to dig in a little more on your seat design, since I'm fascinated by the possibilities it opens.

Can I assume that the reel for the shoulder belts attaches somewhere to the backside of the backrest portion of the seats? IT IS ATTACHED TO 6MM PLATE AT THE REAR OF THE FIXED UPRIGHT SECTION AT THE REAR OF THE SEAT. I like that aspect as it frees the seat location to be independent of proper mounting positions on the van walls. YES CORRECT.

Also, can I assume most of the "box" under the seat is usable for storage? CORRECT, THE BASES OF THE SEATS ALSO FLIP UP MANUALLY USING SPRUNG BENCH SEAT HINGES. It seems like the linear actuator to raise the seat back will interfere somewhat in the aft portion, but there'd still be a usable volume there. CORRECT. I'm considering something similar but rather than using the electric actuator, I would just raise mine manually and then use a triangulating "arm" and pin it in place with a removable pin. ACE, GOOD LUCK, THE BEAUTY OF THE ACTUATORS IS THAT THE SEAT CAN BE SET AT ANY ANGLE FOR COMFORT.

Thanks again for posting your wonderful images!

HOPE THAT HELPS?

neilstubbs

If the seatbelts attach to the frame:

The frame is less likely to mame or kill if it breaks and the belt doesn't. I AGREE, THAT WAS WHY I BUILT IT THAT WAY.

The loads on the frame are far greater. I AGREE, THATS WHY I USED 6MM PLATE TO MOUNT BELT, REEL ETC AND BOLTED IT TO THE VAN IN 4 PLACES, 3 OF WHICH ARE EXISTING LOAD / SEATBELT MOUNTING POINTS.

The angles of everything matter significantly more AGREE.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I Neil, I think I get it now. Was the 6mm plate/reel all mounted down near the base, then the belt just looped up over the shoulder area of the seatback? Since I can see that the belt "rests" over the back when it is lowered, I assumed the reel was mounted to the movable seat back.

Thanks much. Totally considering stealing this for version3 of my interior!

neilstubbs

Hi, comments below in caps...

I Neil, I think I get it now. Was the 6mm plate/reel all mounted down near the base, then the belt just looped up over the shoulder area of the seatback? YES, EXCEPT RATHER THAN JUST RESTING OVER THE SHOULDER AREA THE BELT RAN THROUGH A STEEL GUIDE LOOP (PART OF SEATBELT KIT) WHICH KEPT IT IN THE RIGHT PLACE. Since I can see that the belt "rests" over the back when it is lowered, I assumed the reel was mounted to the movable seat back. NO, PERSONALLY I WOULDNT WANT TO MOUNT THE BELT TO THE MOVING SEAT BACK AS THAT IS HINGED AND THEREFORE UNLIKELY TO BE AS STRONG AS THE BASE, ALSO, IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENT YOU WOULD THEN BE SOLELY RELYING ON THE ACTUATOR TO HOLD THE FULL FORCE, INSTEAD OF THE SEATBELT WHICH IS DESIGNED FOR EXACTLY THAT PURPOSE.

Thanks much. Totally considering stealing this for version3 of my interior!

STEAL AWAY!

HOPE THAT HELPS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger