Wedge Camper Safety?

86scotty

Cynic
I can confirm that the Super Pacific, at least with units produced up to about 6 months ago, have no support pole. I think wedges are just fine with the struts for reasons stated above, very unlikely that both would go at the same time.

What most people don't consider about campers is usage cycle on parts like this. Even the most frequent campers might lift the top 30-40 times per year vs. hundreds of times for your personal vehicle trunk/hatch. And most builders overspec stuff like this. I wouldn't worry about this until the camper was 10 years old or more.

Also there is this, the wind will have you wide awake when there is bad enough weather where a perspective strut failure might happen. Wedge campers are just susceptible to wind and it will not let you sleep when it's bad. I've had to aim my truck straight in to the wind more than once (this was worst with an Ursa Minor Jeep top. No fault of the top, they just don't like side wind, and that particular top DID have a locking support.

I'm speaking from a wedge camper POV since I've only had straight up pop tops in vans (i.e. Sportsmobile/CCV) which have a more robust structure and often electric motors which lock.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Agreed, but the chance of both failing at the same time is not likely. Even with age and low temps, they are not likely to drop the top on you.
They don't need to both fail at the same time.. one can get compromised over time..maybe both. Big wind gust.
Not likely I'll get in accident taking my kid to school this morning, but I'm wearing my seat belt anyways.

beef tits

They don’t fail that often, and a 30 lb tent roof slowly closing in you is IN NO WAY comparable to an auto collision.

You guys are absurd. If my tent roof closed on me I’d buy a lotto ticket same day. Think about how long it takes rear hatch struts to fail on a car… 8-10 years generally?

Even if it did close on you, you’d have to be a mildly retarded toddler to not be able to easily exit the situation unscathed.

Mtpisgah

They don't need to both fail at the same time.. one can get compromised over time..maybe both. Big wind gust.
Not likely I'll get in accident taking my kid to school this morning, but I'm wearing my seat belt anyways.

Two are not needed to hold the camper up, just to keep it even. So if one goes, they other will be fine. If it is a big enough gust of wind to push the camper down, I am more concerned with trees falling on me.

Car crash vs a camper coming down is an apples to oranges comparison, but ok.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
As CHEAP as replacement struts are in today's market just buy a second set from an automotive supplier based upon the part number, put em in your tent storage compartment for when/If you need em and git on with life.

That way you are ready when the world comes crashing down!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears