Weeekend Adventures(for now)

galvyork

Adventurer
Thanks guys! Yeah I have one more post I'll be getting up soon and then I'll be current. This weekend coming up will be cool as I will be camping with a large group. Let the shenanigans begin!

galvyork

Adventurer
July 4th Weekend

So me and a few friends went up to Fish Lake and Johnson Valley Lake. This area is in central Utah and is part of Fish Lake NF. We set up camp just below the spillway and on the Fremont River. From Friday afternoon to Monday morning we explored, fished, hiked and paddle all over the area.
first pic manderfield.jpg
pic2.jpg
3rd pic.jpg
4th pic.jpg
5th pic.jpg
Weird bird that I have still have not identified. Any thoughts?
6th pic.jpg
pic 7.jpg
Neighbors coming to check us out
pic 8.jpg
10 pic.jpg
pic 12.jpg

galvyork

Adventurer
July 4th Weekend Part 2

More pics!
pic 13.jpg
pic 14.jpg
pic 15.jpg
pic 16.jpg
pic 17.jpg
I hope everyone enjoys the pics. The area is gorgeous and is worth coming to visit.

Whito123

Great pics, thanks for sharing. We spent one night in Fish Lake near Kanosh a few weeks ago. Beautiful spot.

galvyork

Adventurer
Day 1

Well after a few delays I managed to pack everything and leave Cedar City. I almost forgot to load the ARB fridge due to it being in the truck already and I hadn't been in the fridge or freezer since getting up. Crisis averted! I was slightly concerned about the rear tire carrier and hitch mounted storage box sitting too low to the ground and rubbing or losing my tools on the highway but after 100 Miles on I 15 and I 70 at 75 MPH there was no issues at all.
Do others have apprehension/fear/worry before a trip? I did and it was a bit strange since I never have in the past. It hit me like a ton of bricks when I went to bed the night before and packing the next day. I finally had to just let it go and stick with my plan and not change things due to fear or worry.
I did stay on the pavement for a bit longer than originally planned but it was a nice drive up RT 89 from Salena all the way to Fairview where I picked up RT 31 heading east into the mountains. The road is a bit narrow and without guard rails its a LONG way down in some spots but its a gorgeous drive. I hit 264 and headed down the Energy Byway which goes passed the really cool Skyline Coal mine. I also passed Electric lake which was nice looking but at 8500 FT and 67 degrees air temp it was a bit chilly to swim or paddle board. It looks like a great place to go on a mid august day to cool off or camp. Next place we came to was Scofield, UT. This has a large reservoir that was flat calm and had a few islands in the middle that looked like they could be fun to explore if you had a motorboat or all day to spend paddling!
At this point I had been looking for a camp spot in the national forest and everywhere I looked had no trespassing signs. Dixie national forest which is close to me has very little private land mixed into it so I guess I'm spoiled! I finally came out on route 6 and headed north west. I made a right turn right before Soldier Summit and was able to find a spot after driving in for 4 or 5 miles.

galvyork

Adventurer
Day 2/3
After leaving my site near route 6 I took some forest service roads up and over the mountains which led me to Strawberry Reservoir. It was about 35 or 40 miles of dirt and some great views of the mountains. After getting back on the black top and heading east, I ended up in Doushane, UT. I filled up with gas headed up route 40 to Vernal where I picked up RT 191 and headed for Flaming Gorge. Driving up Into the mountains from Vernal is pretty awesome do to the large mine and reservoir's you pass. Most of the trip is through Ashley NF and then turns into the Flaming River Gorge National Recreation Area. After coming down some steep grades and switch back I found my turn. A non marked right that takes me back to the edge of the reservoir. There is about 6 or 7 campsites 4 of which have great lake views. There is a stream that dumps out into shallow water and is ICE cold! I spend 2 night in this location. There was not a good spot to swim or paddle board but the birds where everywhere. Ducks, herons, osprey and even some pesky swallows who tried to build a nest on my truck! The wood for fires was sparse so I would advise bringing your own. I was able to find some at some of the other sites that some other campers left.
Day 4
I left the camp site and headed to the town of Manila. It was a bit of shock to pay 7 plus dollars for a 1LB can of propane but that's supply and demand. Heading north towards Wyoming I found a turn to take me back to the Reservoir. I traveled up and down these dirt roads for a few hours before settling on a site with a little cove and a few places to explore on foot and with the paddleboard. I think I was at the site for 5 or 10 minutes before I noticed Skia swimming circles in the cove. After setting up camp I got out the paddle board and we went up the coast a bit. I saw a HUGE fish and a bunch of pronged horn. This area is where a natural gas pipe crosses the Reservoir and that engineering that when into it is amazing. We have spent the rest of day walking paddling and exploring.

galvyork

Adventurer
8.jpg
9.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
Natural gas pipe bridge. I was really impressed with the engineering
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
This guy was just begging for his photo to be taken. He asked to be featured in Prong Horn weekly!

galvyork

Adventurer
Day 5/6
After leaving the Gorge I headed to Green River, WY and intended to stay the night but decided to travel up the road to Rock Springs. I was able to get a hotel room for less than 60 bucks plus WIFI. I have found my shower situation not very great so a hot shower was needed. I also was able to do laundry and shop since Rock Springs has a bunch of big box stores prices are not inflated. After spending the night in Rock Springs, Skia and I headed east on I 80 to Rawlins, WY where we picked up Seminoe Rd and headed North. It follows the North Platte River and then takes you passed the Seminoe Dam. I had no idea that central WY had sand dunes! Seminoe Rd turns into Kortes Rd. I turned onto Leo Shirley Basin Rd which takes you through some rolling grasslands. I did take a side road up into the mountains which was going to be a loop but after failing to find an exit back I just turned around and headed back to LSB which in turn landed me on Two Bar Rd. I headed south on Two Bar and then headed north on Little Medicine Rd so I could find a camp site for the night in Medicine Bow NF. The rolling hills before the NF border was amazing. The route was smooth since I was aired down to 20 PSI. From some of the vistas you could see 50 or 60 miles. This stretch of NF was pretty hard to find a site in since its mostly private right off the road. The official camp sites were open and empty so I figured I would stop. Cold Springs creek runs right through the camp ground. Which makes for some great running water noise.
Day 7
We left medicine Butte NF and headed north to the town of Douglas. We then picked up RT 59 North which was super busy with tractor trailer traffic from the mines. It was super windy and when the big rigs went by they shook the whole truck. This route was through the rolling grassy hills and was nothing too exciting but I talked to my mom and a good buddy on the phone since the service was good. After getting off RT 59 I was on RT 450 heading east which was very industrial at first with the thunder basin coal mine pretty close to the interchange. It then gave way to Thunder basin national grasslands which was more rolling hills and a few farms. I did cross over the Texas trail which was used in the olden days to drive cattle from TX to close to the Canadian boarder and sometimes beyond. After the town of New Castle we picked up RT 16 and headed for SD. Soon the Black hills where in my sites. It looks like there is plenty of camping in Black Hills NF. I did stop at Jewel Cave NM. The tour looked cool but is not dog friendly so I was only there for a few minutes. Plus they were sold out so if you go make sure you go early! We left Jewel cave and then Headed for Mount Rushmore. What a mad house, I paid to get in and took my pictures but with the dog in the truck I didn't stay long. Skia and I then backtracked through Custer and found a camp spot in the NF. Tomorrow is Custer State Park!
Day 8
So we got to Custer SP around 830 or so to beat the heat. We hiked the devils look out trail. We also saw the spires and Haneny MT. That is the tallest peak east of the Rockies. (kind of like the biggest little guy if you ask me but people said its worth hiking. I thought about it, but decided that it a picture was good enough from devils look out trail. It was really cool to see the Helicopters flying their tour route. I was trying to get the Bell 206 in the canyon with the spires in the back round but I missed my shot. After getting back to the trail head Skia and I drove the Needles HWY down to the main route though the park which is RT 16A. I stopped at the visitor center and looked around. Its a really cool and informative place but with Skia in the truck I didn't linger too long. I headed for the wild life loop which has a bunch of bison and the possibility to see elk, coyotes, deer and mountain lions. I did see a doe deer and a ton of bison. It was a great loop. I did take advantage of the dirt roads going though the middle of the loop and i really recommend them to anyone. They are well maintained and had very little use. I was pleasantly surprised with the little amount of traffic. Last but not least was Hadley look out. Its an old fire tower. The cell and TV towers really detract from its beauty but the view in INCREDABLE. It was so amazing I didn't take any pictures because they just would not do it justice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger