weekend away - all the mods are finally done!

jeelan

hi guys

Finally all the major upgrades and preparations to my Paj are done!!!!! The awning got put up a week or so ago and the spotties got installed on Thurs.

Spent a couple of nights at a local reserve this weekend (it was CCCCCOLD and WET) and had a ball. Weather cleared up Sat afternoon so we spent a couple of hours walking the tracks and the night just chilling out with a campfire.

I was feeling lazy about setting the tent up (couldnt be bothered cleaning the mud and crap of it when its time to pack) so we ended up swagging it. Set the swag up under the campsite shelter for the first night as it pissed down with rain, but moved under the stars on Sat night.

This was my trial run before my big trip so i was thrilled. The only thing that bothered me was the dual battery setup. Not sure if its because i've got a cheap battery but voltage dropped below 11.4 in 2-3hrs. The fridge had already been running for a few days before on mains power and was down to 2C which is what i had set it at. I loaded it into the car, it ran fine when the car was running, but when we stopped, the voltage dropped to cutout point within 3hrs tops (i rented a National Luna fridge which has a voltage metre on the side, a column of LEDs so i can check where the battery is at, it goes from 14.5V to 11.4V which is the cutout).

Anyway, with the weather being so cold i wasnt fussed, but definately something i'll hv to look into before going north. My second battery is an Amaron brand battery (60ah, and 550CCA, made in India) and im' thinking about changing it for an Optima yellow top or something similar.

PIcs below show the awning in action, the spotties (lightforce XGT's, Non
HID) and the swag out.

These are with the awning rolled up. Its held rolled by bungee cords. The poles are all stored in a sleeve sewn into the end of the awning so the only thing stored separately is guy ropes and pegs. It folds very small and neat. AWning is 8oz canvas. The roof bag straps are just going around it to secure the racksack (Michelles Sacs bag). The racksack has a Turbo 300, fly, camp table and a couple of chairs.

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

Next few are with the awning opened. Took about 3 mins to setup fully. I have also used a speader bar between the two poles to keep the lip of the awning from sagging. Spreader bar also stores in the sleeve at the lip of the awning. At the other end, its simply fed through a sail track and the rope is knotted off at either end to stop the canvas from sliding out. The rope was sewn into the canvas. The sail track is bolted to some slotted angle that i picked up from Bunnings and the whole contraption is then bolted into the roof rack. The rack is Ally so drilling through it was not a problem. I used 316 marine grade hardware for all the fittings.

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

Swag out under the shelter and then in the open, tied to the bullbar.

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

cheers
Jeelan

viatierra

Explorer
The mods are done... How does a painter know when to walk away from the canvas???

Your rig looks clean & tidy and very well thought out. I read that you were heading north, but I didn't catch where. Have a great trip.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Very nice!

Thats almost exactly what i have in mind for my awning build.

I would consider cutting the groundcloth to swag size so water does not pool on and under.

Look forward to your trip report.

jeelan

Thanks for the comments guys - your feedback is much appreciated.

VIA - good point about the painter - i guess i should have said all the mods are DONE FOR NOW ....lol.....having said that i think i wrote that comment too soon because i was thinking of making a few changes just this morning..lol...

i'm heading north as in northern part of western australia - a region called the Pilbara. SPending about 4 weeks enjoying the scenery and the sunshine before heading back to Perth.

POLRBEAR - yep that's a Gen 4. I didnt realise it wasnt brought into the US anymore...i have read a few posts on these forums that even with the older models, they werent as well supported for aftermarket accessories etc. I'm having the same issues at this end. The one thing that i really want but cant seem to get is a replacement rear bumper!!

OVERLAND - thanks for the suggestion - that tarp was actually for my tent but as i had noted, i couldnt be bothered putting up the tent and ended up swagging it instead. i should really get a tarp for the swag though - might get that done this weekend.

NOt sure if you guys are aware, but the third row of seats normally receede into a recess in the floor of the cargo area. The drawers that i displayed in an earlier thread have a hole cut in the base to allow access to this recess and you can use this space as storage area if the seats hv been removed.

So i'm thinking about moving my aux battery to this spot so i can get a decent sized battery (sealed of course), then i can modify the battery tray in the engine bay and mount the compressor on it....

thanks again for the comments, looking forward to participating on the forums

cheers
Jeelan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater