Weekend climb over Strawberry Pass, CA (picture heavy)

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Last Saturday woke up in the morning and felt the calling!
Quickly packed up, grabbed whatever was in fridge and pantry and took off to the mountains. Of course had to stop by and get some brewskies and water:)

This time we're off to a relatively local trail, about 80 miles east from Sacramento, down Highway 50 towards South Lake Tahoe. Trail is named Strawberry Pass, which reaches out from Highway 50 to Caples Lake, on Highway 88. Highest elevation was a bit over 8600 feet.

Trail was right up the alley for my vehicles capability, although at one time I almost turned around. Clearance was the biggest concern. For the most part it is a very scenic climb, beautiful views, enchanted like forest passes, numerous stream crossings. Passed by many good places to break camp.

For navigation purposes I took my Ipad 3 with newly installed Topo Maps. I am so impressed by that software, probably one of the best $8 bucks that I ever spent on a map. IMO its worth much more than that. It was a great mapping tool, it kept us on the right track the entire time. GPS signal was always on the dot. I have the 3G model w/o data plan. I bought the iPad for this exact reason. Preloaded the USGS maps for the entire region and programmed in the GPS waypoint coordinates from home. Without it I probably would get lost due to many dead-end splits in the trail.

Any ways, here are picture from the trip

(photo eqp used: Canon 5D MK1 w/ 24-70L lens, iPhone 4.

Fueling up

IMG_9221copy.jpg

Got off at mile marker 42

IMG_9229copy.jpg

IMG_9237copy.jpg

Many fancy cabins were all over place

IMG_9238copy.jpg

iPad ******

IMG_9240copy.jpg

Got off the pavement

IMG_9242copy.jpg

First few miles were pretty smooth

IMG_9252copy.jpg

IMG_9254copy.jpg

Many passing's like this

IMG_9256copy.jpg

This sign is on the trail turnoff

IMG_9260copy.jpg

Finally begun to go up hill

IMG_9264copy.jpg

IMG_9267copy.jpg

First few rock obstacles

IMG_9279copy.jpg

Removed the sway bar right before the trip, so it was a good time to test the new articulation

IMG_9282copy.jpg

IMG_9285copy.jpg

Face rock

IMG_9287copy.jpg

Trail turning pretty rocky here

IMG_9289copy.jpg

IMG_9292copy.jpg

Had to stop for a bit and cool off, transmission was over heating. Will have to examine later

IMG_9311copy.jpg

IMG_9314copy.jpg

Passed a ton of dips with streams like this one

IMG_9317copy.jpg

IMG_9330copy.jpg

Ok, so here we got to a point called Painted Rock. Im glad I had a rear locker for this one. Had to go over this guy before I got to a giant boulder in the middle, which had almost no room to go around it. Only way to go was thought it.

IMG_9331copy.jpg

Made it over the first part ok

IMG_9337copy.jpg

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Here is the rock, what a pain in the A**

IMG_9339copy.jpg

IMG_9341copy.jpg

IMG_9350copy.jpg

Came ‘this' close to tippin over

IMG_9348copy.jpg

Had to put up a platform so the rig wouldn't roll over. This where a taller truck with better articulation would benefit.

IMG_9353copy.jpg

Ended up resting on the transmission shield and struggle for traction.

IMG_9356copy.jpg

After a bit of wrestling finally made it through, left a good mark:punk03:

IMG_9357copy.jpg

Coming up to a part called the Squeeze, this is where a full size rig would have trouble getting through. Was indeed a squeeze between the rock and the tree. Easy to damage the right quarter panel if not careful. Saw plenty of bruise marks on the tree and the rock.

IMG_9362copy.jpg

IMG_9367copy.jpg

IMG_9379copy.jpg

After, got pretty mellow going up

IMG_9382copy.jpg

Wouldn't want to end up there

IMG_9384copy.jpg

Some scenery

IMG_9389copy.jpg

IMG_9393copy.jpg

IMG_9394copy.jpg

IMG_9395copy.jpg

Got to this place, pretty nasty clay like mush. Quickly filled the tire tread with this stuff

IMG_9398copy.jpg

IMG_9405copy.jpg

Some more nasty mud, thank God I didn't get stuck here.

IMG_9407copy.jpg

Had to rest a bit and let the wife drive

IMG_9410copy.jpg

IMG_9418copy.jpg

IMG_9420copy.jpg

IMG_9423copy.jpg

this was pretty much the tip of the mountain, begun to cruise downhill from here

IMG_9426copy.jpg

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Stopped for a break for a nice panorama

IMG_9437copy.jpg

IMG_9470copy.jpg

IMG_9474copy.jpg

Was gona camp here, but decided to keep driving

IMG_9480copy.jpg

IMG_9482copy.jpg

IMG_9484copy.jpg

Kirkwood Ski resort

IMG_9495copy.jpg

IMG_9498copy.jpg

Came up to this creepy barn

IMG_9500copy.jpg

IMG_9503copy.jpg

IMG_9505copy.jpg

IMG_9512copy.jpg

IMG_9508copy.jpg

IMG_9515copy.jpg

Drove by some giant solar panels

IMG_9533copy.jpg

IMG_9537copy.jpg

Snow equipment garages

IMG_9539copy.jpg

Ahh asphalt, highway 88

IMG_9542copy.jpg

IMG_9545copy.jpg

Caples lake

IMG_9549copy.jpg

Stopped by Kirkwood Ski resort drive in

IMG_9557copy.jpg

IMG_9556copy.jpg

IMG_9565copy.jpg

IMG_9569copy.jpg

Ok so it got pretty dark, Caples lake and surrounding lakes camping spot were way too over developed (and expensive), where is camping/wildeness fun in that? So decided to head out to good ol’ family camping spot at Utica/Union reservoir in Bear Valley. Home of the Slick Rock 4x4 Trail.

IMG_9570copy-1.jpg

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
It was pitch black outside on Highway 4, perfect time to test out the Blitz Lightforce 240s. WOW, what a difference. Still have to adjust the beam angles a bit.

Low beam with crappy bulbs.

IMG_9576copy.jpg

High-beams

IMG_9577copy.jpg

Lightforce 240s only

IMG_9578copy.jpg

Lightforce 240s plus high-beams

IMG_9579copy.jpg

Arrived at Utica Reservoir, unpacked tent and went to sleep.
Morning time!

IMG_9583copy.jpg

Battle scars

IMG_9584copy.jpg

IMG_9587copy.jpg

Breakfast – omelet with fresh tomato and espresso.

IMG_9591copy.jpg

Morning stretch

IMG_9603copy.jpg

IMG_9605copy.jpg

Time to eat and enjoy the day

IMG_9609copy.jpg

Went to see what Slick Rock was all about

IMG_9610copy.jpg

IMG_9613copy.jpg

When I got this quickly realized that my rig and I are definitely not ready to go thought something like this. The jeeps with huge clearance were having a hard time.

IMG_1612copy.jpg

IMG_1611copy.jpg

So turned around and went back, maybe next time.

IMG_9614copy.jpg

Here is a quick iPhone vid leaving the Slick Rock trail. Going over the easier part, nothing fancy, rest of the trail was way out of my league.

Stayed till sunset, had some tea by the fire and took off back home.

IMG_9629copy.jpg

IMG_9634copy.jpg

Last edited:

Clem

Adventurer
Great Local Report

eurosonic,

Great trip report. Looks like you and the little lady had a great weekend. :sombrero:

Thanks for the inspiration,

Clem

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Great report. Your iPad holder setup is quite nice :)

I have a good buddy who recently moved to the SF with a nice rig and looking to explore trails just like that with another vehicle. He's in a lifted 4Runner with 33" KM2's. It's only 90 minutes or so from Sac, right?

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
thanks everyone,
it is a great drive for a moderately built rig. Highly recommend it to everyone:smiley_drive:

Great report. Your iPad holder setup is quite nice :)

I have a good buddy who recently moved to the SF with a nice rig and looking to explore trails just like that with another vehicle. He's in a lifted 4Runner with 33" KM2's. It's only 90 minutes or so from Sac, right?

Nwoods,

yes, its about an hour away from sac. Have your buddy message me next time he want to head out. It would be nice to have another rig join in.

There are numerous of other trails to explore around that area.

mmcan

Observer
Transmission overheating

Awesome report!

I had a similar "transmission overheating" issue with my Rubicon last summer on Taylor Pass. Contacted a local Jeep dealership and spoke with their service dept. They recommended running in 4 Low because the gearing takes a lot of the work load off the transmission and lets the transfer case do it more efficiently. Had no further problems after that, altho I have since installed a tranny cooler anyway because I'll be pulling an AT Chaser this summer.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
That trail is closed. Any use of said trail is illegal. I, like many others are not pleased but not abiding by the court order will only give the other side gasoline for the fire.

Interesting,
When I was there, nowhere I saw a sign of the trail being closed.

GHOSTFJ

Observer
Like many trails, there are no signs or gates. Checking for trail conditions and status is up to us, we need to educate one another.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Looks like that order went in effect on July 11 and lasting until August 31, 2012.

At the time of my trip it was still open.

Well, lets hope they will open it for good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle