Weekend trip to Varina, VA

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
Well I would not consider this by any means an adventure, but I drove from home (Frederick, MD) to my grandparents place down in Varina, VA. The trip was about 190 miles (made a few stops on the way) and only used a little more than a quarter of a tank (7 or so gallons) so I got great gas mileage.

The property down here is absolutely wonderful. They have inherited a wonderful plot of land 158 acres large, with tree-covered hills, small streams and about a 4 acre lake (spring fed). I'll come down here and help out my grandparents with various projects to keep the land up to par, but I do find myself relaxing every once in awhile! There are lots of places to walk and explore. The land lies along the James River and it is said that Captain John Smith actually settled in this plot and even described the spring water as "sweete". The land is called Arrahatteck, named for the Native Americans who lived there before the first English settlers arrived in the early 1600s.

I went exploring along the property line in search of wildlife I do not often see around my way. I did see a fawn and her mother prancing through the tall brush at the tree line. Wild turkey, rabbits, fox, and geese are all common here. Apart from the deer I also saw some egrets and a heron prancing around in the shallow waters adjacent to the James.

Here is a short video as I was driving through the brush. Listen carefully for the tall grass and the spooling turbo :p My apologies for the quality. More pictures to come later!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rzT7xAwmSg

Hunter

czenkov

Adventurer
Sweet area. Look for foundation logs or bricks - then go buy yourself a metal detector. Find some history.

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
Sweet area. Look for foundation logs or bricks - then go buy yourself a metal detector. Find some history.

The area is FULL of relics. The property borders some of the breast work mounds back from the civil war; bullets, sabers, muskets and other neat little pieces are commonplace here; very cool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78