Weight capacity of 1g 4runner top?

djrez4

Adventurer
I've been trying to track down this information recently. I have a rack bolted on to the roof and wonder what sort of weight the fiberglass can safely take.

corax

Explorer
Are your gutter mounted? not sure how much it can take gutter mounted, but the weight it can take bouncing down the road vs just sitting still will be completely different either way - for example the roof took my full weight (180#) when I put the rack on mine (not gutter mount either), but there's no way I'd load that much up there.

Asha'man

Observer
I've been thinking about this as well, more for the purposes of a RTT. Those weigh a couple hundred in and of themselves, plus about 300lbs of me and girlfriend, and I think that the top would be maxed out. I'm contemplating drawing up some kind of removable rack that attaches to sliders and a tube rear bumper and arches over the rack.

djrez4

Adventurer
It's a 1g, so no gutters. It's bolted on, directly - right through the top.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the RTT, like Asha'man. My current rack wouldn't take it, but I can easily fix that.

So, Asha'man - You're thinking of something along the lines of an exo?

Asha'man

Observer
It's a 1g, so no gutters. It's bolted on, directly - right through the top.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the RTT, like Asha'man. My current rack wouldn't take it, but I can easily fix that.

So, Asha'man - You're thinking of something along the lines of an exo?

More or less, but a bit less permanent than a full exo. It'd be more for load-bearing purposes than full roll protection, and would necessarily be removable. I bet it wouldn't be too hard to come up with a way to attach exo-style hoops to sliders and a rear bumper, maybe with short sections of tube that one could slide a pin through to retain the roof sections. I should probably get sliders and a good rear bumper before I start coming up with ideas. ;)

Have you guys seen this roof rack?
121084858-M-1.jpg

121084958-L-1.jpg

121084610_SWveZ-L.jpg

120641559_sRoLr-L.jpg

120630258_BjzV3-L.jpg

Thats how I'm going to do my roof rack soon. I'm pretty certain that I wont be adding a RTT to the truck any time soon, but besides my wife who packs too much, I have my daughter and 2 dogs when we travel. A lot of my gear is going to go on the roof, or on a hitch carrier.

I REALLY like this set up, and would go this way if I got a Can-Back.
Choosing_Color.jpg

NONSUV_09.jpg

NONSUV_18.jpg

Same truck before it was painted yeller. I LOVE the looks of the truck!
NONSUV_07.jpg

journey

Observer
I have seen the rack you posted. I think it would be plenty strong. My problem is the holes you have to drill into the panels. My thought is to attatch the legs that come down to a plate that bolts between the top and the bed rails. It would be removable with out damage and the rack would work when the top is off. The plate could also act as a step for accessing the roof rack or a mountain bike could be carried with its wheels on the plate and a strap holding it to the rack. This could be the perfect way to carry a bike where it is out of the way (not inside or on a hitch mount) and it does not cause clearance issues by being on the roof.

I might spend some time in AutoCad land and draw this up to better ilustrate what I'm saying.
Try this.
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/seanrobb/rack.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen the rack you posted. I think it would be plenty strong. My problem is the holes you have to drill into the panels. My thought is to attatch the legs that come down to a plate that bolts between the top and the bed rails. It would be removable with out damage and the rack would work when the top is off. The plate could also act as a step for accessing the roof rack or a mountain bike could be carried with its wheels on the plate and a strap holding it to the rack. This could be the perfect way to carry a bike where it is out of the way (not inside or on a hitch mount) and it does not cause clearance issues by being on the roof.

I might spend some time in AutoCad land and draw this up to better ilustrate what I'm saying.

Please do, it sounds interesting! I'm not too keen on attaching on the bed rails and under the top.... wouldnt that compromise the seal of the top though?

Photog

Explorer
I've been trying to track down this information recently. I have a rack bolted on to the roof and wonder what sort of weight the fiberglass can safely take.

I had a 1st Gen 4Runner for 17 years, and considered mounting a rack the way you did (drill and mount directly).

It would be easy to build internal support hoops (like mini roll bars), with mounting plates attached, that your current mounts would bolt through (trapping the roof between the plates and the roof rack mounts). The feet of the hoops would mount to the top rail of the bed, where the canopy attaches to the body. This will transfer the roof load down to the metal body.

I would add at least one more tube, between the two hoops, to stabalize the system.

Another option would be to make the hoops stout enough for a roll cage, attach them to the floor, and remove the factory roll bar.

Review the interior cages (rear) at 4Xinnovations for ideas.

Last edited:

Ctenosaurian

A friend of mine just sent me the link to this thread, I know it is pretty old, but figured I would respond anyway. That white 4R is my truck that I recently bought from the first owner. I love that rack! If anyone needs any measurements on the rack, let me know, I would be happy to measure it if you are interested in building a similar rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman