weight loss

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
So is anyone consdering any diet plans for thier rigs. I am thinking about going to compisite hood and fenders to drop a few #. I am also wanting to do a palstic skid system under the truck for the same reason. getting away from 3/16 steel. All the armour and gear is alot so I figure every 100# off the rig will make some differences in durability mileage etc

Scott Brady

Founder
My Tacoma's got a bit butt, and I cannot lie, you other owners can't deny...

No weight loss plans here. The truck is done, short of some big brakes.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
The current plan calls for ME to lose some more weight! :shakin: I think my rig needs to lose some extra flab too, just not sure where. Maybe I'll trim some of the front section of my UFC Cage rack on top. :)

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
My Tacoma's got a bit butt, and I cannot lie, you other owners can't deny...

No weight loss plans here. The truck is done, short of some big brakes.

I knew this thread would go down hill I just never expected the first reply LOL! THanks Scott :D

Personaly I have been thinking about a corbon hood and custom carbon/kevlar fenders. This should drop a fair amount of wieght of the front clip. I would do doors also if someone made them but I do not belive they exist for the truck and I'm not willing to make them from scratch. That is way to big PITA.

I have also been considering fabbing a new lighter front bumper with better winch access. This has stemmed from the fact the casing on my ramsey has broke and in order to get to it the bumper has to come off. THese are things in my head for next year.

lol...every time i load up my truck, i think of that line from the matrix...

niobe: "ah $#!&, she's got a fat ass!" (as the hovercraft bangs off a rock) :p

well, i'm bored at work, here goes...

fiberglass really does lighten the load. bedsides will help where you need it most tho, trimming the fat from the fenders and hood is a great idea only if you have plans for a winch and are willing to mess with your spring rates in front if the weight goes down too much. otherwise, it's a great way to get some tire clearance. you can trim the glass, too...it's really, really easy to work with. ditch anything below the frame and behind the wheel...it's not much, but it's something and you wont beat it on the trail.

if you need to build something, and you wont be bouncing said something off the rocks, go larger diameter tube and thinner wall...the tradeoff is less dent resistance, but better bending resistance and lighter weight. youll need to check the weight per length specs on a supplier website, there are a few, but youll find that 1.75" tube in a thin wall is stronger in a bending or torsion load than, say, 1.5" tube. sliders are not a good place to make that trade :p.

plastic skid plates work great if youre well under 4K# and/or have the time and money to invest in building a subframe and sourcing the uhmw plastic. plenty of info at pirate about plastic skid plates, just search "uhmw skid plate" and youll get a ton of info...but honestly, for the time and money invested, it's easier and more reliable to use 3/16" steel skids.

it's been a while since i looked at your pics, i dont remember if you have a utility-style bumper like scott's or something different...but if you haven't already, trading the stock bumper and receiver hitch for a custom job offers a great place to save weight by combining functionality while reinforcing the frame, and greatly improving your departure angle. if youve already trimmed the bedsides below the frame from behind the rear wheel, the bumper can be pretty high off the ground, with lighter-weight tube since you wont be hitting it as much. tube corners/bash protection on the rear bumper is a great place to spend a little extra for moly, on a wraparound rear bumper you can trade 1.75" o/d 0.180 wall tube for 1-5/8 o/d thinner wall moly, it will be just as strong, add a hundred bucks (roughly) to your build cost, and weigh 30-40# less than mild steel. even for a swing-out, if you take your time and look in to materials and designs that will work vs throwing steel at the problem, you can build lightweight as well as functionally strong as something built from heavy square tube. front bumper is another good place to do this...you can get a better approach angle and bring the cg back towards the center of the vehicle, but low-prof, rigid front bumpers arent worth anything in a front end collision.

got alloy wheels? synthetic winch line? do you use your tailgate, or would some tube that latches in the same place and carries a few tools be more appropriate? it will be lighter than the gate, structurally more capable of supporting things bolted to it, and you can always skin it with aluminum, plastic or more fiberglass (think expo-style tiregate).

i dont have access to a bender, thats the only reason i havent done the tailgate etc. yet...but everything else is either already done or in the works.

-sean

Last edited:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
devinsixtyseven said:
lol...every time i load up my truck, i think of that line from the matrix...

niobe: "ah $#!&, she's got a fat ass!" (as the hovercraft bangs off a rock) :p

well, i'm bored at work, here goes...

fiberglass really does lighten the load. bedsides will help where you need it most tho, trimming the fat from the fenders and hood is a great idea only if you have plans for a winch and are willing to mess with your spring rates in front if the weight goes down too much. otherwise, it's a great way to get some tire clearance. you can trim the glass, too...it's really, really easy to work with. ditch anything below the frame and behind the wheel...it's not much, but it's something and you wont beat it on the trail.

if you need to build something, and you wont be bouncing said something off the rocks, go larger diameter tube and thinner wall...the tradeoff is less dent resistance, but better bending resistance and lighter weight. youll need to check the weight per length specs on a supplier website, there are a few, but youll find that 1.75" tube in a thin wall is stronger in a bending or torsion load than, say, 1.5" tube. sliders are not a good place to make that trade :p.

plastic skid plates work great if youre well under 4K# and/or have the time and money to invest in building a subframe and sourcing the uhmw plastic. plenty of info at pirate about plastic skid plates, just search "uhmw skid plate" and youll get a ton of info...but honestly, for the time and money invested, it's easier and more reliable to use 3/16" steel skids.

it's been a while since i looked at your pics, i dont remember if you have a utility-style bumper like scott's or something different...but if you haven't already, trading the stock bumper and receiver hitch for a custom job offers a great place to save weight by combining functionality while reinforcing the frame, and greatly improving your departure angle. if youve already trimmed the bedsides below the frame from behind the rear wheel, the bumper can be pretty high off the ground, with lighter-weight tube since you wont be hitting it as much. tube corners/bash protection on the rear bumper is a great place to spend a little extra for moly, on a wraparound rear bumper you can trade 1.75" o/d 0.180 wall tube for 1-5/8 o/d thinner wall moly, it will be just as strong, add a hundred bucks (roughly) to your build cost, and weigh 30-40# less than mild steel. even for a swing-out, if you take your time and look in to materials and designs that will work vs throwing steel at the problem, you can build lightweight as well as functionally strong as something built from heavy square tube. front bumper is another good place to do this...you can get a better approach angle and bring the cg back towards the center of the vehicle, but low-prof, rigid front bumpers arent worth anything in a front end collision.

got alloy wheels? synthetic winch line? do you use your tailgate, or would some tube that latches in the same place and carries a few tools be more appropriate? it will be lighter than the gate, structurally more capable of supporting things bolted to it, and you can always skin it with aluminum, plastic or more fiberglass (think expo-style tiregate).

i dont have access to a bender, thats the only reason i havent done the tailgate etc. yet...but everything else is either already done or in the works.

-sean

Thaks for the feed back. I'm very kitted out already with armour and runniong gear. The rear bumper with side protection will go away next year when I swap the xcab onto my reg cab chassis and build an aluminum flat bed. At that time I will incorperate flod down removable sides that double as sand/bridging ladders. to as you say combine elements. That will get a heavy rear bumper off my big ass! Since I'm already heavy as with almost everyone here and I still am going to add a water tank and shower set up, and several other goodies, I'm becomeing concerneed about wieght. Do not know why I'm just getting it inmy head that my rig is to heavy and I need to lighten the load. I

I'm running synthetic line and aluminum wheels, aluminum racks and tool boxes etc. But it is still alot of wieght as we all know.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I have become so conscious about weight I ditched a whole truck to start over!

My 75 K5 was WAY over built. 4x4 3/16 wall rockers (also served as Air tanks). The floor repair that also supported the rockers. Bumpers were also 3/6 box for the ends and the winches deck plate was 1/4 with 3/4 side plates with clevis holes where it bolted to the frame. The gas tank skid was 3/16 44 inches long by 32 inches wide. It was over kill to the extreme. With full trail gear, hard top, me, 35's, 3/4 tank of fuel (about 24gallons), 6 gallons of water and 5 of fuel I was 6640lb.

I have trimmed WAY down with the 4Runner. I only carry tools that work on my truck. That trimmed about 40lb+ on tools right there. Trying to use Aluminum where ever I can on projects. I had originally planned a full exo cage with a roof basket and mounts for Highlift, shovel and other gear. Now I am looking at Fender bars and possibly a rub rail like the guy who owns Power tanks 4runner has. A much trimmed down low profile roof rack with my bridging laders for the floor to save weight. Still trying to decide on a rack on the back for spare tire and fuel can. Now I am thinking about a 33x9.5 in stock location. Concern is tearing up the spare under the truck.

Aluminum wheels…HUGE savings in weight. My stock chrome steel rims with 235x75x15 UniroyalPoJ's were 61lb. the 33x12.5x15 BFG KO's on 15x7 AR Outlaw II's are 68lb. (my 35BFG's on 15x10 steels were over 90lb on the last truck).

Really I want to stay around 4k in trail trim without camping gear.

Last edited:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
It's like walking a tightrope. Very easy to fall to one side or the other. Fall this way, and you may be light, but may not have the optimum means for extended trips in comfort or adequately prepared for the widest range of situations. Fall that way, and you may have the most comfy site at camp, and be ready to take on the world, but will get stuck at the first steep hill or sand crossing, or worse yet, slip off the line and flop over.

Balance is beautiful. :)

i think of it this way...what did the truck come with that i dont need or will ruin in the course of my adventures, that i can replace (front bumper, fenders, bedsides), recombine (rear bumper and receiver), remove (rear seat), or reduce (front bumper, a lot) in favor of a lighter, more appropriate or durable solution?

the reaper has an excellent point when it comes to tools. dont take anything to repair something you dont know how to fix, or cant fix on the trail--unit bearings and timing belts come to mind--suck it up and get a strap or a towing service. a busted timing belt on an interference engine in the middle of nowhere cant be reasonably fixed in place anyway, and if you arent carrying spare ball joints, dont bother lugging around a floor jack, jack stands, jawed pullers and other items. better to stick with the cardinal rule of backcounty travel, never ever go alone (ie at least two vehicles). there is also a lot of weight to be saved taking only the tools you need...i used to lug around a complete sae/metric metal toolbox, i've pared it down to a 1/2" drive metric (i have a toyota) socket set 9-19mm, a couple extensions plus a breaker bar, cheater bar, and torque wrench, and a few sockets for the few sae bolts i've added. other good things are spare bolts, washers and lock washers for skid plates and other things that get beat...all that stuff is way better than carrying three dozen sae sockets when your truck is all metric. other than that, it's just a few pliers, wrenches, cutters, ratchet wrenches in the most common sizes on the truck, small handy stuff, and a couple SSTs like snap ring pliers, 2-jaw puller and a big c-clamp, and everything fits in a small ammo case. i think it weighs less than a quarter what i used to lug around...and dont be shy about leaving tool caddies and such at home, if theyre all metal...just find a way to organize better and ditch the weight.

i like to think of it as a pound of metal dropped that i didnt need is a pound of steak and beer i can bring instead, or a pound of toys it would be fun to bring, like scott's yak and bike on the expo trailer. paring it down gave me room to put two mtbs in the bed along with all the trail gear, and i've really only started with the layout this year...it used to be "throw and go".

i dig the idea of bridging ladders used for other things. the bedside idea sounds like it could work well, and theyd be very easy to access when you needed them. as the floor of a roof rack, what if you had stuff on the roof rack and needed the ladders? might be awkward, depends on how you built it...or it might work great, i dunno. when i ordered my ladders, i had them sized to fit perfectly across the rear of the bed, right behind the tailgate. i think what i'll eventually do is have them coated with rhino or linex for "permanent" durability, then build a lightweight tube frame to hold them and replace the tailgate, and decide later if i want to skin one side or the other. a couple small gas tubes would make the gate easier to drop and raise, so it can be sat upon, and the ladders would be easy to remove and stow...doing it vertical right now is a pain, they actually sit inside of a ridge at the tailgate and have to be lifted and rotated to be stowed. something like that, or your bedside idea, is great for dropping weight...the weight i could drop is essentially the tailgate minus the weight of the tube frame, and if i choose tube wisely i'll probably drop a good 30-40# of _cantilevered_ weight.

i saw a great spare tire carrier setup on pirate a while back. the bed had been caged and re-floored, and the fullsize (LARGE) tire was stowed similar to the stock location, just shifted around a bit to accomodate the new setup. the license plate and running lights were mounted on a tube assembly similar to a tailgate, so if you needed the tire, you just open the hatch and pull it out from the back, without having to grub under the truck or move your cooler that's sitting on the new floor above the spare tire. i thought it was a great way to use the available space, make changing the tire potentially more convenient, and keep the cg low. i'm hoping to do something similar, since the bed is just generally a bad place to keep the spare and my spare hasnt a prayer in the stock location...in the bed it's taking up space where i could spot a cooler or something.

youd be surprised how much all that carpet weighs. a buddy of mine herculined the tub of his jeep, now he cleans it with a hose...if you have a hollow body channel at the doorsill it might not work, or you might need a workaround like a section of aluminum and a gasket, but a yota could be done the same way, i think with minimal hassle...my door sills are plastic snap-ins with long screws to spread the ends of the snap-in sections. sure, carpet weighs maybe 30#, all the herculiner might weigh 10#, but it would shave another 20# of something that's a pain if it floods or even after a day of sand, and trade it for something durable and easy to clean. herculiner is great stuff and easy to apply. i wouldn't strip the roof, for a number of reasons...as a matter of fact, since the liner is lightweight, roof and doors are a good place to move the carpet liner, or even add more. the truck will be better insulated from temperature and noise. ive been in a tundra with an excess of damping material, it's like a library in there...anyway i dont think he did the floor, just the doors, roof and back of the cab.

wood is friggin heavy, particularly particle board and similar creations, only gets worse when it gets wet, and some of the cheap stuff just dissolves when it's soaked. it's great if you dont have another option, but if you can use wood, you can also use plastic or aluminum and it'll be weatherproof, stronger and lighter. gotta have the tools, skills and money tho, which is probably why a lot of people use wood for shelving and storage boxes.

been pondering this long time, i have :sombrero:. the downside is all this thought on the truck has resulted in a rather spartan campsite...

-sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman